The Student-Athlete Development Office works to prepare our student-athletes to become both leaders and positive contributors to society. Our office coordinates opportunities and programs campus, as well as within the athletic department, on individual teams, and within our Student-Athlete Advisory Committee.
Leadership Development Program Rice Athletics is proud to announce our new leadership development program, "Developing Leaders in Sports and in Life," specifically designed for the Rice University student-athlete. Partnering with veteran leadership expert and sports performance coach Mike Van Hoozer, we have developed a program that strives to help student-athletes to maximize their potential as leaders in sports and life, help them make the most of their moments, and overcome adversity.
For the 2013-14 academic year, this program is being sponsored by MJLM, LLC through Rice football letterman Bobby Dixon and Terrence Gee. Two student-athletes from each athletic program at Rice will take part in this year's program which has the potential to impact every student-athlete at the university in the future.
The leadership development program will take a proactive approach to developing leaders at Rice and provide resources, training and coaching for student-athletes both on and off the field or courts of play.
Monthly sessions will focus on aspects of leadership including developing a leadership voice, how to influence and make an impact in the life of another person, and how to take their newly learned skills back to their teams, their school, and the greater Houston community.
Student-Athlete Advisory Committee
Student-Athlete Advisory Committee The purpose of the Student-Athlete Advisory Committee at Rice University is to give student-athletes a voice within the Rice University campus, and to act as a liaison between student-athletes and fellow athletic teams, the greater Houston community, and Rice's Residential College system. The SAAC is comprised of student-athletes from each team who have demonstrated a strong desire to participate to serve their team, the department, and Rice. Mission Statement: The purpose of the Student-Athlete Advisory Committee (SAAC) at Rice University is to:
- Give student-athletes a voice within Rice University campus, encouraging communication between the athletic administration and the campus administration. The SAAC enables student-athletes to participate in open dialogue about issues that impact them in their daily lives, as well as issues that arise across the conference and NCAA.
- Act as a liaison between student-athletes and fellow athletic teams, the greater Houston community, and Rice's College system. Our goal is to bridge the gap that is formed from common misperceptions associated with college athletics, to help the University and the athlete form stronger relations, as well as team connections to enhance the college experience.
- Make an impact and leave a legacy during your time at Rice
- Stay informed and involved about issues involving student-athletes from campus to the NCAA
- Connect with students on various sports teams
- Represent Rice University Athletics in a wide variety of arenas