Rice Athletics is committed to giving back both to the Rice campus and the Greater Houston community. We work with student-athletes, coaches, and staff to empower them to become leaders in affecting social change, to develop both a lifelong commitment to service and an ethic of social responsibility, and to work together to make our community strong through their involvement in athletics.
During the 2012-2013 school year, Rice student-athletes and teams reported over 3,400 hours of community service with more than 50 different organizations. Some of the ways that our student-athletes served the communities were:
- Spending time with kids from the Nehemiah Center
- Hosting various youth camps and clinics
- Reading and interacting with students at our local elementary schools
- Serving food to the homeless at the Soup Kitchen
- Visiting patients in the hospitals of the Texas Medical Center
- Conducing a food drive and blood drive
If you are a community group and would like to have a student-athlete, coach or athletic department staff involved with your group or event, please contact Lauren Cavallaro.