Nov. 20, 2013
No. 10 Rice Owls (11-18, 7-7 C-USA) vs. No. 7 UAB Blazers (20-13, 7-7 C-USA)
C-USA First Round • Nov. 21, 2013 • 7 p.m.
Alumni Memorial Gym • Murfreesboro, Tenn.
Series: Rice leads, 11-5
Last Mtg: W, 3-0 (11/15/13) at UAB
Championship Central | Live Video (C-USA) | Twitter
The Last Meeting
November 15, 2013
No. 2 Tulane Green Wave (26-3, 12-2 C-USA)
C-USA Quarterfinal • Nov. 22, 2013 • 7 p.m.
Alumni Memorial Gym • Murfreesboro, Tenn.
How To Watch:
The first round, quarterfinals and semifinals of the 2013 C-USA Volleyball Championship will be available for viewing exclusively on the C-USA Digital Network. Current subscribers to the C-USA Digital Network can click on the watch links above and enter your password information to view the games. New and school-only subscribers, please see below.
The C-USA Digital Network combines streaming audio and video content from all 12 member institutions to provide the most thorough coverage of Conference USA athletics anywhere in the world. Sign-up now to access live game broadcasts, exclusive behind-the-scenes video, game highlights, original programming and press conferences from 25 men's and women's sports across the league, with additional coverage from conference postseason tournaments and events. Fans only looking for access to a single school's content can still subscribe to just that school on monthly and annual renewing terms.
• Rice looks to earn the automatic bid to the NCAA Tournament from C-USA by winning the C-USA Tournament in Murfreesboro, Tenn. The Owls finished 10th in C-USA and will face No. 7 UAB on Thursday. The Owls hold an 11-5 all-time record against the Blazers, including a 3-0 win in Birmingham just one week ago.
• Last season the Owls fell in the first round for the first time in three years in a 3-2 setback to Houston in Tulsa, Okla. Rice has won four of their last six matches overall in the tournament .
• Redshirt freshman setter Sara Blasier was recognized for her stellar first season as a Rice Owl by being named to the Conference USA All-Conference Second Team as well as the seven-player All-Freshman Team, the league announced on Tuesday. Blasier is the first Owl to be named to C-USA All-Freshman team since Jillian Humphrey in 2011 and the seventh Rice student-athlete to be named to the squad overall.
• Following a 2-0 weekend for the Rice Owls volleyball team, senior outside hitter Mariah Riddlesprigger was named the Conference USA Defensive Player of the Week on Monday for two superb performances. A native of Fresno, Calif., Riddlesprigger averaged 1.17 blocks, 4.67 digs and 3.17 kills per set while earning a .474 (19-1-38) hitting efficiency over six sets.
• Rice senior outside hitter Tyler Jenkins was named to the 2013 Conference USA All-Academic Volleyball Team on Monday, as selected by the league’s Sports Information Directors. Jenkins, a native of Deer Park, Texas (Deer Park HS), is a first-time C-USA All-Academic selection. The senior from McMurtry College has a 3.81 GPA in Economics.
• The Owls are 15-13 all-time against Tulane, which includes a 3-1 loss to the Green Wave last week at Tudor Fieldhouse.
About Rice Volleyball
• Rice was the preseason pick to win C-USA by the league’s 15 coaches.
• Rice’s non-conference schedule ranked among the toughest in the league, with an average opponent RPI of 102. Only Tulsa’s was more difficult among Conference USA schools.
• In the latest NCAA National Rankings, Sara Blasier ranks 85th in Division I (7th in C-USA) with 10.40 assists per set. Jillian Humphrey is ranked 125th in the country in blocks per set (1.11) and fifth in C-USA. Daniela Arenas stands 133th overall (7th in C-USA) with 4.27 digs per set.
• Lizzy Bache was named All-Rice Invitational I for her .404 hitting percentage, 30 kills, and four service aces in the tournament, while Jillian Humphrey picked up All-Rice Invitational II honors for her 39 kills and 11 blocks in mid-September. Humphrey was also named to the All-Bulldog Invitational team for her solid start to the season.
• Megan Murphy passed the 3,000-assist mark on Senior Day to become just the sixth Rice Owl to accomplish the feat.
• Daniela Arenas passed the 1,000-dig mark on the opening weekend of Conference USA play, becoming just the 14th player in program history to reach the milestone. The junior continues her climb up the Rice record book, currently ranking 7th with 1,225 digs.
• The Owls have played five, five-set matches this season (0-5 record), including the first two matches of the year. Rice played six five set matches in all of 2012, going 3-3.
• The Rice Owls volleyball squad raised a record $3,553 in their fifth annual Dig Pink match, teaming up with the Side-Out Foundation to raise awareness and funding for breast cancer. Rice’s dedicated Dig Pink match was vs. Charlotte on Oct. 13, which the Owls won 3-0. Over the past five years, the Owls have raised over $8,000 participating in Dig Pink.
• Megan Murphy and Jillian Humphrey were selected Preseason All-C-USA.
Dates Set for Summer Volleyball Camps
02/07/2017 - Rice volleyball announced their upcoming summer camp dates, which begin June 25.
Volleyball Releases Spring Schedule
01/18/2017 - Rice volleyball head coach Genny Volpe announced on Wednesday the team's 2017 spring schedule, which will get underway on Saturday, Feb. 25 when...
Livingstone Earns C-USA Spirit of Service Award
12/14/2016 - Rice volleyball player Shelby Livingstone was one of 14 Conference USA student-athletes to receive the league’s Fall Spirit of Service Award,...
Harris, McDaniel Named AVCA All-America...
12/14/2016 - Rice volleyball athletes Chelsey Harris and Madison McDaniel were named to the American Volleyball Coaches Association Honorable Mention All-Americ...
Rice Scholar Athletes Honored
02/26/2017 - Rice Athletics and the R Association honored some of its best and brightest on Sunday evening as the 2017 Rice Scholar Athletes and Honor Athletes ...
Mikesky Named to CoSIDA Academic All-America...
12/08/2016 - Senior outside hitter Leah Mikesky was named to the CoSIDA Academic All-America Division I First Team, the organization announced on Thursday.
Trio of Owls Earn AVCA Southwest Region Honors
12/06/2016 - Rice volleyball athletes Chelsey Harris and Madison McDaniel were selected to the American Volleyball Coaches Association (AVCA) Southwest Region...
Owls Drop Thrilling C-USA Championship to WKU...
11/20/2016 - An incredible journey through the C-USA Championship came to a close Sunday afternoon for the Rice Owls in a grueling five-set loss (22-25, 20-25, ...
- Top Videos /
- Online Store