Nov. 13, 2013
The Last Meeting
September 23, 2012
The Last Meeting
August 24, 2007
• The Owls split their two games last week, defeating Southland Conference and crosstown foe Houston Baptist, 3-0 before falling to Tulane, 3-1 at Tudor Fieldhouse.
• Rice volleyball is currently tied for ninth place in the C-USA standings with two conference matches left to play. The top 12 teams advance to the conference tournament Nov. 21-24 in Murfreesboro.
• Jillian Humphrey moved into sixth place in school history in career blocks assists (317) this past weekend, passing Tricia Bowen (312, 1986-90). The Shoreacres, Texas is now just 15 BA away from surpassing former teammate Nancy Cole (331, 2009-12) on the all-time BA list.
• Daniela Arenas keeps moving up the charts when it comes to digs and surpassed former Owl Rebekah Neal (2000-03, 1,190) for eighth all-time in school history. Arenas, currently at 1,197 digs, has her eyes set next on Karolina Zelinka’s (1996-00) mark of 1,217.
• In the latest NCAA National Rankings, Sara Blasier ranks 92nd in Division I (7th in C-USA) with 10.31 assists per set. Jillian Humphrey is ranked 114th in the country in blocks per set (1.13) and fourth in C-USA. Daniela Arenas stands 138th overall (7th in C-USA) with 4.25 digs per set.
• Rice is 10-5 all-time against UAB, which includes a five-set (21-25, 25-19, 27-25, 22-25, 15-12) thriller last season in Birmingham. UAB has lost three of their last four matches and had lost three straight before a win at Louisiana Tech on Nov. 10.
• The Owls are 11-2 all-time against Louisiana Tech but have not played the Lady Techsters since 2007 when the Owls fell 3-0 in the season-opener. Louisiana Tech sits in last place in C-USA and has lost nine straight heading into the weekend and 13 of 14.
• Sunday's match against Louisiana Tech will be Senior Day for the four of Lindsay Daniel. Tyler Jenkins, Megan Murphy and Mariah Riddlesprigger. The senior class will be honored and recognized before the game.
About Rice Volleyball
• Rice was the preseason pick to win C-USA by the league’s 15 coaches.
• Rice’s non-conference schedule ranked among the toughest in the league, with an average opponent RPI of 102. Only Tulsa’s was more difficult among Conference USA schools.
• Lizzy Bache was named All-Rice Invitational I for her .404 hitting percentage, 30 kills, and four service aces in the tournament, while Jillian Humphrey picked up All-Rice Invitational II honors for her 39 kills and 11 blocks in mid-September. Humphrey was also named to the All-Bulldog Invitational team for her solid start to the season.
• Daniela Arenas passed the 1,000-dig mark on the opening weekend of Conference USA play, becoming just the 14th player in program history to reach the milestone. The junior continues her climb up the Rice record book, currently ranking 8th with 1,197 digs.
• The Owls have played five, five-set matches this season (0-5 record), including the first two matches of the year. Rice played six five set matches in all of 2012, going 3-3.
• The Rice Owls volleyball squad raised a record $3,553 in their fifth annual Dig Pink match, teaming up with the Side-Out Foundation to raise awareness and funding for breast cancer. Rice’s dedicated Dig Pink match was vs. Charlotte on Oct. 13, which the Owls won 3-0. Over the past five years, the Owls have raised over $8,000 participating in Dig Pink.
Mikesky Selected to C-USA All-Academic Team
11/18/2016 - Rice senior outside hitter Leah Mikesky earned her third consecutive Conference USA All-Academic Volleyball Team selection, the league office...
Volleyball Set to Host C-USA Championship
11/16/2016 - The Owls will be in search of an automatic bid to the NCAA Tournament from Conference USA by winning the C-USA Championship this weekend as the...
Five Owls Named to C-USA All-Conference Teams
11/16/2016 - Conference USA released its annual volleyball All-Conference and All-Freshman teams Wednesday morning and the Rice Owls were well represented with ...
Owls Sweep Roadrunners on Senior Day
11/12/2016 - The Rice Owls volleyball team bounced back from a difficult previous weekend with a 3-0 triumph over the UTSA Roadrunners Saturday afternoon on...
Volleyball to Host UTSA on Senior Day Saturday
11/11/2016 - The Owls return to Tudor Fieldhouse for their final home match of the regular season Saturday afternoon vs. the UTSA Roadrunners on Senior Day.
Rice Volleyball Signs Three
11/09/2016 - Rice volleyball announced the signing of three student-athletes on Wednesday to enroll in school and join the team in 2017.
Volleyball Falls in Five Sets at Southern Miss
11/06/2016 - Four Rice Owls recorded 10 or more kills but a late surge by the Southern Miss Golden Eagles proved too much to overcome in a five set loss (25-22,...
No. 21 WKU Defeats Owls in Straight Sets
11/04/2016 - The Rice Owls volleyball team suffered just their third straight sets loss of the season with a 3-0 setback (25-12, 25-20, 25-18) at No. 21 WKU...
- Top Videos /
- Online Store