Nov. 13, 2013
The Last Meeting
September 23, 2012
The Last Meeting
August 24, 2007
• The Owls split their two games last week, defeating Southland Conference and crosstown foe Houston Baptist, 3-0 before falling to Tulane, 3-1 at Tudor Fieldhouse.
• Rice volleyball is currently tied for ninth place in the C-USA standings with two conference matches left to play. The top 12 teams advance to the conference tournament Nov. 21-24 in Murfreesboro.
• Jillian Humphrey moved into sixth place in school history in career blocks assists (317) this past weekend, passing Tricia Bowen (312, 1986-90). The Shoreacres, Texas is now just 15 BA away from surpassing former teammate Nancy Cole (331, 2009-12) on the all-time BA list.
• Daniela Arenas keeps moving up the charts when it comes to digs and surpassed former Owl Rebekah Neal (2000-03, 1,190) for eighth all-time in school history. Arenas, currently at 1,197 digs, has her eyes set next on Karolina Zelinka’s (1996-00) mark of 1,217.
• In the latest NCAA National Rankings, Sara Blasier ranks 92nd in Division I (7th in C-USA) with 10.31 assists per set. Jillian Humphrey is ranked 114th in the country in blocks per set (1.13) and fourth in C-USA. Daniela Arenas stands 138th overall (7th in C-USA) with 4.25 digs per set.
• Rice is 10-5 all-time against UAB, which includes a five-set (21-25, 25-19, 27-25, 22-25, 15-12) thriller last season in Birmingham. UAB has lost three of their last four matches and had lost three straight before a win at Louisiana Tech on Nov. 10.
• The Owls are 11-2 all-time against Louisiana Tech but have not played the Lady Techsters since 2007 when the Owls fell 3-0 in the season-opener. Louisiana Tech sits in last place in C-USA and has lost nine straight heading into the weekend and 13 of 14.
• Sunday's match against Louisiana Tech will be Senior Day for the four of Lindsay Daniel. Tyler Jenkins, Megan Murphy and Mariah Riddlesprigger. The senior class will be honored and recognized before the game.
About Rice Volleyball
• Rice was the preseason pick to win C-USA by the league’s 15 coaches.
• Rice’s non-conference schedule ranked among the toughest in the league, with an average opponent RPI of 102. Only Tulsa’s was more difficult among Conference USA schools.
• Lizzy Bache was named All-Rice Invitational I for her .404 hitting percentage, 30 kills, and four service aces in the tournament, while Jillian Humphrey picked up All-Rice Invitational II honors for her 39 kills and 11 blocks in mid-September. Humphrey was also named to the All-Bulldog Invitational team for her solid start to the season.
• Daniela Arenas passed the 1,000-dig mark on the opening weekend of Conference USA play, becoming just the 14th player in program history to reach the milestone. The junior continues her climb up the Rice record book, currently ranking 8th with 1,197 digs.
• The Owls have played five, five-set matches this season (0-5 record), including the first two matches of the year. Rice played six five set matches in all of 2012, going 3-3.
• The Rice Owls volleyball squad raised a record $3,553 in their fifth annual Dig Pink match, teaming up with the Side-Out Foundation to raise awareness and funding for breast cancer. Rice’s dedicated Dig Pink match was vs. Charlotte on Oct. 13, which the Owls won 3-0. Over the past five years, the Owls have raised over $8,000 participating in Dig Pink.
Pazo, Waite Ready for Olympics in Rio
08/04/2016 - Former Rice Owl greats Olaya Pazo (beach volleyball) and Lennie Waite (3000m steeplechase) will make their dreams come true in the upcoming days...
Rice Athletics Hosts 2nd Annual Owls Fall Fan Fest
07/21/2016 - Rice Athletics will kick off an exciting fall season of football, soccer and volleyball on Saturday, August 13 when the Owls host their second...
Owl Great Olaya Pazo To Compete In 2016 Olympics
07/14/2016 - Former Rice volleyball star Olaya Pazo is headed to the 2016 Olympics in Rio de Janeiro where she will represent her home country of Venezuela in...
Rice Earns C-USA Institutional Excellence Award
07/12/2016 - For the ninth time in the past 11 years, Rice University student-athletes earned the Conference USA Institutional Excellence Award in 2015-16 by...
Volpe Selected as Assistant Coach for Junior...
07/06/2016 - Rice head volleyball coach Genny Volpe has been selected to be an assistant coach on the U.S. Women’s Junior National Team, according to USA ...
Volleyball Unveils 2016 Schedule
06/15/2016 - Rice head volleyball coach Genny Volpe announced Wednesday a 29-match 2016 schedule that includes 10 matchups against 20-plus win teams and 11...
Apolinario Added to Volleyball Coaching Staff
05/26/2016 - Rice head volleyball coach Genny Volpe announced on Thursday the hiring of Ariel Apolinario as the newest assistant coach on the Owls staff.
Congrats to the Owls 2015-16 Graduating Senior ...
05/11/2016 - Owls graduating on Saturday: Andi Bawcum, Kyley Reed, Kimberly Vaio and Noelle Whitlock
- Top Videos /
- Online Store