Oct. 25, 2013
• The Owls are coming off a weekend in which they lost two conference road games, first in five sets to UTSA (22-25, 25-23, 17-25, 25-20, 15-17) on Friday and then a straight sets loss at UTEP (22-25, 15-25, 20-25) on Sunday. The five-set loss against the Roadrunners was the Owls fifth this season (0-5).
• One week after being named the C-USA Setter of the Week, freshman Sara Blasier established a season and career-high with 62 assists in the 3-2 loss at UTSA. The Hartford, Wisconsin native is currently eighth in the league in assists per set at 9.77.
• Sunday’s match versus North Texas is one of just three home games remaining this season for Rice. Following the game against the Mean Green the Owls will play four of their final six matches on the road, including three straight.
• Rice is 5-6 at home this season and has won three straight matches at Tudor Fieldhouse.
• The Owls are 7-1 all-time against the Mean Green and have won three straight in the series. The two teams have not played each other since the 2000 campaign when Rice defeated North Texas 3-0 in the season opener under then head coach Julio Morales.
• North Texas (12-12, 4-4) has lost three of their last four matches and three straight by a combined score of 9-1. Sophomore outside hitter Carnae Dillard leads the Mean Green with 344 total kills (4.20 per set), which is third-best in the league. Freshman setter Amy Henard is fourth in C-USA in assists per set (10.41).
About Rice Volleyball
• Rice was the preseason pick to win C-USA by the league’s 15 coaches.
• Rice’s non-conference schedule ranked among the toughest in the league, with an average opponent RPI of 102. Only Tulsa’s was more difficult among Conference USA schools.
• Lizzy Bache was named All-Rice Invitational I for her .404 hitting percentage, 30 kills, and four service aces in the tournament, while Jillian Humphrey picked up All-Rice Invitational II honors for her 39 kills and 11 blocks in mid-September. Humphrey was also named to the All-Bulldog Invitational team for her solid start to the season.
• Daniela Arenas passed the 1,000-dig mark on the opening weekend of Conference USA play, becoming just the 14th player in program history to reach the milestone. The junior continues her climb up the Rice record book, currently ranking 10th with 1,116 digs.
• The Owls have played five, five-set matches this season (0-5 record), including the first two matches of the year. Rice played six five set matches in all of 2012, going 3-3.
• The Rice Owls volleyball squad raised a record $3,553 in their fifth annual Dig Pink match, teaming up with the Side-Out Foundation to raise awareness and funding for breast cancer. Rice’s dedicated Dig Pink match was vs. Charlotte on Oct. 13, which the Owls won 3-0. Over the past five years, the Owls have raised over $8,000 participating in Dig Pink.
Owls Return Home for Pair of C-USA Matches
10/13/2016 - The Owls return home from a four-match road trip for a pair of matches this weekend at Tudor Fieldhouse, beginning Friday against Marshall.
Volleyball Falls in Five Sets at Florida Atlantic
10/11/2016 - The Rice Owls volleyball squad saw their season-long eight match win streak come to an end Tuesday afternoon with a five-set loss (25-14, 24-26, 25...
Volleyball Runs Win Streak to Eight Straight
10/09/2016 - The Rice Owls volleyball team pushed their season-high win streak to eight consecutive matches with a 3-0 sweep (25-22, 25-23, 26-24) at FIU Sunday...
Volleyball Match at Florida Atlantic Rescheduled
10/05/2016 - Due to potential weather concerns regarding Hurricane Matthew, the Owls scheduled match this weekend originally set for Friday at Florida Atlantic ...
McDaniel Selected C-USA Defensive Player of the...
10/03/2016 - Rice junior setter Madison McDaniel was named the Conference USA Defensive Player of the Week on Monday, the league office announced.
Owls Make it Seven Straight Wins, Defeat Tigers
10/01/2016 - The Rice Owls volleyball team won their second match in as many days with a 3-1 (25-18, 18-25, 25-17, 25-22) victory over the Tennessee State...
Owls Win Sixth Straight, Sweep Blue Raiders
09/30/2016 - The Rice Owls volleyball team won their sixth straight match with a 3-0 (25-14, 25-19, 25-14) sweep of the Middle Tennessee Blue Raiders Friday...
Owls Travel to Tennessee for Pair of Weekend...
09/29/2016 - Winners of five straight, the Rice Owls volleyball team will hit the road this weekend for a pair of matches in the state of Tennessee.
- Top Videos /
- Online Store