Oct. 25, 2013
• The Owls are coming off a weekend in which they lost two conference road games, first in five sets to UTSA (22-25, 25-23, 17-25, 25-20, 15-17) on Friday and then a straight sets loss at UTEP (22-25, 15-25, 20-25) on Sunday. The five-set loss against the Roadrunners was the Owls fifth this season (0-5).
• One week after being named the C-USA Setter of the Week, freshman Sara Blasier established a season and career-high with 62 assists in the 3-2 loss at UTSA. The Hartford, Wisconsin native is currently eighth in the league in assists per set at 9.77.
• Sunday’s match versus North Texas is one of just three home games remaining this season for Rice. Following the game against the Mean Green the Owls will play four of their final six matches on the road, including three straight.
• Rice is 5-6 at home this season and has won three straight matches at Tudor Fieldhouse.
• The Owls are 7-1 all-time against the Mean Green and have won three straight in the series. The two teams have not played each other since the 2000 campaign when Rice defeated North Texas 3-0 in the season opener under then head coach Julio Morales.
• North Texas (12-12, 4-4) has lost three of their last four matches and three straight by a combined score of 9-1. Sophomore outside hitter Carnae Dillard leads the Mean Green with 344 total kills (4.20 per set), which is third-best in the league. Freshman setter Amy Henard is fourth in C-USA in assists per set (10.41).
About Rice Volleyball
• Rice was the preseason pick to win C-USA by the league’s 15 coaches.
• Rice’s non-conference schedule ranked among the toughest in the league, with an average opponent RPI of 102. Only Tulsa’s was more difficult among Conference USA schools.
• Lizzy Bache was named All-Rice Invitational I for her .404 hitting percentage, 30 kills, and four service aces in the tournament, while Jillian Humphrey picked up All-Rice Invitational II honors for her 39 kills and 11 blocks in mid-September. Humphrey was also named to the All-Bulldog Invitational team for her solid start to the season.
• Daniela Arenas passed the 1,000-dig mark on the opening weekend of Conference USA play, becoming just the 14th player in program history to reach the milestone. The junior continues her climb up the Rice record book, currently ranking 10th with 1,116 digs.
• The Owls have played five, five-set matches this season (0-5 record), including the first two matches of the year. Rice played six five set matches in all of 2012, going 3-3.
• The Rice Owls volleyball squad raised a record $3,553 in their fifth annual Dig Pink match, teaming up with the Side-Out Foundation to raise awareness and funding for breast cancer. Rice’s dedicated Dig Pink match was vs. Charlotte on Oct. 13, which the Owls won 3-0. Over the past five years, the Owls have raised over $8,000 participating in Dig Pink.
Owls Dominant in Sweep of Yale
09/16/2016 - The Rice Owls volleyball team came out on a mission Friday afternoon in Fox Gymnasium, defeating the Yale Bulldogs in straight sets (25-8, 25-15,...
Volleyball to Host Adidas Invitational II
09/15/2016 - The Rice Owls volleyball team hosts their second straight weekend tournament beginning on Friday with two matches in the Rice Adidas Invitational II.
Owls Drop Five-Set Heartbreaker to Texas Tech
09/14/2016 - The Rice Owls volleyball team battled the Texas Tech for five grueling sets on Wednesday evening at Tudor Fieldhouse, but in the end it was the Red...
Volleyball Matches Moved to Fox Gym on Friday
09/14/2016 - In conjunction with Vice President Joe Biden’s speech occurring in Tudor Fieldhouse this Friday, Sept. 16 at 3 p.m., the first two matches of...
Volleyball Hosts Texas Tech on Wednesday
09/13/2016 - The Owls welcome in the Texas Tech Red Raiders on Wednesday evening at 7 p.m. in a non-conference showdown at Tudor Fieldhouse.
No. 24 USC Holds off Owls’ Comeback Attempt
09/10/2016 - On a night where Leah Mikesky became the 16th member of the 1,000 career kills club, the Rice Owls gave the No. 24 USC Trojans quite the fight but ...
Bearkats Rally to Beat Owls in Five Sets
09/10/2016 - Despite double-doubles from junior setter Madison McDaniel and senior outside hitter Leah Mikesky, the Rice Owls volleyball team was unable to...
Owls Bounce Back with Sweep of Oakland
09/09/2016 - The Rice Owls volleyball team cruised to their third sweep of the season with a 3-0 victory (25-16, 25-21, 25-20) over the Oakland Golden Grizzlies...
- Top Videos /
- Online Store