Oct. 25, 2013
• The Owls are coming off a weekend in which they lost two conference road games, first in five sets to UTSA (22-25, 25-23, 17-25, 25-20, 15-17) on Friday and then a straight sets loss at UTEP (22-25, 15-25, 20-25) on Sunday. The five-set loss against the Roadrunners was the Owls fifth this season (0-5).
• One week after being named the C-USA Setter of the Week, freshman Sara Blasier established a season and career-high with 62 assists in the 3-2 loss at UTSA. The Hartford, Wisconsin native is currently eighth in the league in assists per set at 9.77.
• Sunday’s match versus North Texas is one of just three home games remaining this season for Rice. Following the game against the Mean Green the Owls will play four of their final six matches on the road, including three straight.
• Rice is 5-6 at home this season and has won three straight matches at Tudor Fieldhouse.
• The Owls are 7-1 all-time against the Mean Green and have won three straight in the series. The two teams have not played each other since the 2000 campaign when Rice defeated North Texas 3-0 in the season opener under then head coach Julio Morales.
• North Texas (12-12, 4-4) has lost three of their last four matches and three straight by a combined score of 9-1. Sophomore outside hitter Carnae Dillard leads the Mean Green with 344 total kills (4.20 per set), which is third-best in the league. Freshman setter Amy Henard is fourth in C-USA in assists per set (10.41).
About Rice Volleyball
• Rice was the preseason pick to win C-USA by the league’s 15 coaches.
• Rice’s non-conference schedule ranked among the toughest in the league, with an average opponent RPI of 102. Only Tulsa’s was more difficult among Conference USA schools.
• Lizzy Bache was named All-Rice Invitational I for her .404 hitting percentage, 30 kills, and four service aces in the tournament, while Jillian Humphrey picked up All-Rice Invitational II honors for her 39 kills and 11 blocks in mid-September. Humphrey was also named to the All-Bulldog Invitational team for her solid start to the season.
• Daniela Arenas passed the 1,000-dig mark on the opening weekend of Conference USA play, becoming just the 14th player in program history to reach the milestone. The junior continues her climb up the Rice record book, currently ranking 10th with 1,116 digs.
• The Owls have played five, five-set matches this season (0-5 record), including the first two matches of the year. Rice played six five set matches in all of 2012, going 3-3.
• The Rice Owls volleyball squad raised a record $3,553 in their fifth annual Dig Pink match, teaming up with the Side-Out Foundation to raise awareness and funding for breast cancer. Rice’s dedicated Dig Pink match was vs. Charlotte on Oct. 13, which the Owls won 3-0. Over the past five years, the Owls have raised over $8,000 participating in Dig Pink.
Volleyball Team Falls In First Round at C-USA...
11/20/2015 - The Rice volleyball team jumped out to a solid opening set, but Southern Miss rallied to claim each of the next three on the way to a 17-25, 25-15,...
Mikesky Named to C-USA All-Academic Team
11/19/2015 - Rice junior outside hitter Leah Mikesky was selected to the Conference USA All-Academic Volleyball Team, the league office announced Thursday...
Owls Begin C-USA Tournament Friday vs. Southern...
11/19/2015 - The Rice Owls volleyball team opens the C-USA Championship against Southern Miss on Friday at 2 p.m. in San Antonio.
Volleyball Places Five on All-C-USA Teams
11/17/2015 - Rice volleyball had five players named to the 2015 All-Conference USA Volleyball teams for a second consecutive season, the league office announced...
Volleyball Sweeps UAB to Close Regular Season
11/14/2015 - The Rice Owls volleyball team closed out the C-USA regular season with a 3-0 sweep (25-17, 25-15, 25-19) of the UAB Blazers Saturday afternoon at...
Owls Win In Five Sets On Senior Night
11/12/2015 - Madison McDaniel, Leah Mikesky and Noelle Whitlock all posted double-doubles to help the Rice Owls volleyball team secure the team’s 20th win...
Volleyball Set to Host UTEP on Senior Day
11/11/2015 - The Rice Owls volleyball team closes out the 2015 C-USA season this week with a pair of matches, beginning Thursday at Tudor Fieldhouse vs. UTEP on...
Volleyball Announces Three Signings
11/11/2015 - Rice volleyball head coach Genny Volpe announced the signing of three student-athletes on Wednesday to enroll in school and join the Owls in 2016.
- Top Videos /
- Online Store