Oct. 25, 2013
• The Owls are coming off a weekend in which they lost two conference road games, first in five sets to UTSA (22-25, 25-23, 17-25, 25-20, 15-17) on Friday and then a straight sets loss at UTEP (22-25, 15-25, 20-25) on Sunday. The five-set loss against the Roadrunners was the Owls fifth this season (0-5).
• One week after being named the C-USA Setter of the Week, freshman Sara Blasier established a season and career-high with 62 assists in the 3-2 loss at UTSA. The Hartford, Wisconsin native is currently eighth in the league in assists per set at 9.77.
• Sunday’s match versus North Texas is one of just three home games remaining this season for Rice. Following the game against the Mean Green the Owls will play four of their final six matches on the road, including three straight.
• Rice is 5-6 at home this season and has won three straight matches at Tudor Fieldhouse.
• The Owls are 7-1 all-time against the Mean Green and have won three straight in the series. The two teams have not played each other since the 2000 campaign when Rice defeated North Texas 3-0 in the season opener under then head coach Julio Morales.
• North Texas (12-12, 4-4) has lost three of their last four matches and three straight by a combined score of 9-1. Sophomore outside hitter Carnae Dillard leads the Mean Green with 344 total kills (4.20 per set), which is third-best in the league. Freshman setter Amy Henard is fourth in C-USA in assists per set (10.41).
About Rice Volleyball
• Rice was the preseason pick to win C-USA by the league’s 15 coaches.
• Rice’s non-conference schedule ranked among the toughest in the league, with an average opponent RPI of 102. Only Tulsa’s was more difficult among Conference USA schools.
• Lizzy Bache was named All-Rice Invitational I for her .404 hitting percentage, 30 kills, and four service aces in the tournament, while Jillian Humphrey picked up All-Rice Invitational II honors for her 39 kills and 11 blocks in mid-September. Humphrey was also named to the All-Bulldog Invitational team for her solid start to the season.
• Daniela Arenas passed the 1,000-dig mark on the opening weekend of Conference USA play, becoming just the 14th player in program history to reach the milestone. The junior continues her climb up the Rice record book, currently ranking 10th with 1,116 digs.
• The Owls have played five, five-set matches this season (0-5 record), including the first two matches of the year. Rice played six five set matches in all of 2012, going 3-3.
• The Rice Owls volleyball squad raised a record $3,553 in their fifth annual Dig Pink match, teaming up with the Side-Out Foundation to raise awareness and funding for breast cancer. Rice’s dedicated Dig Pink match was vs. Charlotte on Oct. 13, which the Owls won 3-0. Over the past five years, the Owls have raised over $8,000 participating in Dig Pink.
Volleyball Announces 2015 Slate
05/29/2015 - Rice head volleyball coach Genny Volpe announced the 2015 schedule on Friday, a 30-match slate that includes 10 matchups against 20-plus win squads...
Harris to Participate in U.S. CNT Program
04/09/2015 - For a second straight year, Rice volleyball right side hitter Chelsey Harris is amongst 36 athletes chosen to participate in the U.S. Collegiate...
Owls Set for Spring Weekend Tournament
04/07/2015 - On the heels of a five-set victory over Texas A&M, the Rice Owls volleyball squad will continue their spring portion of their schedule this...
Volleyball to Host Blinn College, Houston...
03/12/2015 - The Rice Owls volleyball squad will begin their spring portion of their schedule this Friday, March 13 when they host both the Blinn College...
Harris to Participate at U.S. National Team...
02/12/2015 - For a second consecutive year Rice sophomore outside hitter Chelsey Harris will participate at the U.S. Women's National Team Open Tryouts, USA...
Mikesky Named Team MVP at Volleyball Banquet
02/10/2015 - Rice's volleyball program hosted its annual banquet on Sunday evening at Tudor Fieldhouse to cap off a sensational 2014 season.
SAVE THE DATE: 23rd Rice Golf Classic Set for...
02/09/2015 - Hosted by the Women's Athletics Advisory Board (WAAB), the Rice Golf Classic benefits all of Rice's women's athletics teams and is the major fund...
Volleyball Adds McDaniel
01/13/2015 - Madison McDaniel, a 6-0 setter, has transferred to play volleyball at Rice University, head coach Genny Volpe announced Tuesday. McDaniel, from The...
- Top Videos /
- Online Store