Oct. 25, 2013
• The Owls are coming off a weekend in which they lost two conference road games, first in five sets to UTSA (22-25, 25-23, 17-25, 25-20, 15-17) on Friday and then a straight sets loss at UTEP (22-25, 15-25, 20-25) on Sunday. The five-set loss against the Roadrunners was the Owls fifth this season (0-5).
• One week after being named the C-USA Setter of the Week, freshman Sara Blasier established a season and career-high with 62 assists in the 3-2 loss at UTSA. The Hartford, Wisconsin native is currently eighth in the league in assists per set at 9.77.
• Sunday’s match versus North Texas is one of just three home games remaining this season for Rice. Following the game against the Mean Green the Owls will play four of their final six matches on the road, including three straight.
• Rice is 5-6 at home this season and has won three straight matches at Tudor Fieldhouse.
• The Owls are 7-1 all-time against the Mean Green and have won three straight in the series. The two teams have not played each other since the 2000 campaign when Rice defeated North Texas 3-0 in the season opener under then head coach Julio Morales.
• North Texas (12-12, 4-4) has lost three of their last four matches and three straight by a combined score of 9-1. Sophomore outside hitter Carnae Dillard leads the Mean Green with 344 total kills (4.20 per set), which is third-best in the league. Freshman setter Amy Henard is fourth in C-USA in assists per set (10.41).
About Rice Volleyball
• Rice was the preseason pick to win C-USA by the league’s 15 coaches.
• Rice’s non-conference schedule ranked among the toughest in the league, with an average opponent RPI of 102. Only Tulsa’s was more difficult among Conference USA schools.
• Lizzy Bache was named All-Rice Invitational I for her .404 hitting percentage, 30 kills, and four service aces in the tournament, while Jillian Humphrey picked up All-Rice Invitational II honors for her 39 kills and 11 blocks in mid-September. Humphrey was also named to the All-Bulldog Invitational team for her solid start to the season.
• Daniela Arenas passed the 1,000-dig mark on the opening weekend of Conference USA play, becoming just the 14th player in program history to reach the milestone. The junior continues her climb up the Rice record book, currently ranking 10th with 1,116 digs.
• The Owls have played five, five-set matches this season (0-5 record), including the first two matches of the year. Rice played six five set matches in all of 2012, going 3-3.
• The Rice Owls volleyball squad raised a record $3,553 in their fifth annual Dig Pink match, teaming up with the Side-Out Foundation to raise awareness and funding for breast cancer. Rice’s dedicated Dig Pink match was vs. Charlotte on Oct. 13, which the Owls won 3-0. Over the past five years, the Owls have raised over $8,000 participating in Dig Pink.
No. 3 Longhorns Hand Owls Season-Opening Loss
08/28/2015 - The Rice volleyball team dropped its season-opening match at No. 3 Texas in three sets, 25-12, 25-23, 25-14, Friday evening in Gregory Gym on the...
Owls Head to Austin for Showdown with No. 3 Texas
08/26/2015 - The Rice Owls volleyball heads to Austin this weekend to open the season against No. 3 Texas, LSU and UC Irvine in the American Campus Classic.
Follow The Owls On Snapchat
08/26/2015 - Be sure and follow the Rice volleyball team on Snapchat for the upcoming 2015 season as each student-athlete will take turns capturing videos and...
Volleyball To Hold Meet And Greet Aug. 26
08/20/2015 - The Rice Owls volleyball team will host its eighth annual Meet and Greet on Wednesday, Aug. 26 at 5 p.m. in Fox Gym.
Volleyball Wraps Up First Week of Camp
08/14/2015 - Rice Head Coach Genny Volpe and junior Chelsey Harris talk about the first week of camp and the team's expectations for the 2015 season.
Fall Fan Fest Set for August 22
08/03/2015 - Rice Athletics will kick off an exciting fall season of football, soccer and volleyball on Saturday, August 22 when the Owls host their first...
Volleyball Picked to Finish Third in Conference...
07/30/2015 - Following a 23-10 campaign in 2014 and a trip to the Conference USA title game, the Rice Owls volleyball team was picked to finish third in the...
Volleyball Earns Seventh Consecutive AVCA...
07/29/2015 - For a seventh consecutive season the Owls volleyball squad received the Team Academic Award from the American Volleyball Coaches Association (AVCA)...
- Top Videos /
- Online Store