Oct. 25, 2013
• The Owls are coming off a weekend in which they lost two conference road games, first in five sets to UTSA (22-25, 25-23, 17-25, 25-20, 15-17) on Friday and then a straight sets loss at UTEP (22-25, 15-25, 20-25) on Sunday. The five-set loss against the Roadrunners was the Owls fifth this season (0-5).
• One week after being named the C-USA Setter of the Week, freshman Sara Blasier established a season and career-high with 62 assists in the 3-2 loss at UTSA. The Hartford, Wisconsin native is currently eighth in the league in assists per set at 9.77.
• Sunday’s match versus North Texas is one of just three home games remaining this season for Rice. Following the game against the Mean Green the Owls will play four of their final six matches on the road, including three straight.
• Rice is 5-6 at home this season and has won three straight matches at Tudor Fieldhouse.
• The Owls are 7-1 all-time against the Mean Green and have won three straight in the series. The two teams have not played each other since the 2000 campaign when Rice defeated North Texas 3-0 in the season opener under then head coach Julio Morales.
• North Texas (12-12, 4-4) has lost three of their last four matches and three straight by a combined score of 9-1. Sophomore outside hitter Carnae Dillard leads the Mean Green with 344 total kills (4.20 per set), which is third-best in the league. Freshman setter Amy Henard is fourth in C-USA in assists per set (10.41).
About Rice Volleyball
• Rice was the preseason pick to win C-USA by the league’s 15 coaches.
• Rice’s non-conference schedule ranked among the toughest in the league, with an average opponent RPI of 102. Only Tulsa’s was more difficult among Conference USA schools.
• Lizzy Bache was named All-Rice Invitational I for her .404 hitting percentage, 30 kills, and four service aces in the tournament, while Jillian Humphrey picked up All-Rice Invitational II honors for her 39 kills and 11 blocks in mid-September. Humphrey was also named to the All-Bulldog Invitational team for her solid start to the season.
• Daniela Arenas passed the 1,000-dig mark on the opening weekend of Conference USA play, becoming just the 14th player in program history to reach the milestone. The junior continues her climb up the Rice record book, currently ranking 10th with 1,116 digs.
• The Owls have played five, five-set matches this season (0-5 record), including the first two matches of the year. Rice played six five set matches in all of 2012, going 3-3.
• The Rice Owls volleyball squad raised a record $3,553 in their fifth annual Dig Pink match, teaming up with the Side-Out Foundation to raise awareness and funding for breast cancer. Rice’s dedicated Dig Pink match was vs. Charlotte on Oct. 13, which the Owls won 3-0. Over the past five years, the Owls have raised over $8,000 participating in Dig Pink.
Dates Set for Summer Volleyball Camps
02/07/2017 - Rice volleyball announced their upcoming summer camp dates, which begin June 25.
Volleyball Releases Spring Schedule
01/18/2017 - Rice volleyball head coach Genny Volpe announced on Wednesday the team's 2017 spring schedule, which will get underway on Saturday, Feb. 25 when...
Livingstone Earns C-USA Spirit of Service Award
12/14/2016 - Rice volleyball player Shelby Livingstone was one of 14 Conference USA student-athletes to receive the league’s Fall Spirit of Service Award,...
Harris, McDaniel Named AVCA All-America...
12/14/2016 - Rice volleyball athletes Chelsey Harris and Madison McDaniel were named to the American Volleyball Coaches Association Honorable Mention All-Americ...
Rice Scholar Athletes Honored
02/26/2017 - Rice Athletics and the R Association honored some of its best and brightest on Sunday evening as the 2017 Rice Scholar Athletes and Honor Athletes ...
Mikesky Named to CoSIDA Academic All-America...
12/08/2016 - Senior outside hitter Leah Mikesky was named to the CoSIDA Academic All-America Division I First Team, the organization announced on Thursday.
Trio of Owls Earn AVCA Southwest Region Honors
12/06/2016 - Rice volleyball athletes Chelsey Harris and Madison McDaniel were selected to the American Volleyball Coaches Association (AVCA) Southwest Region...
Owls Drop Thrilling C-USA Championship to WKU...
11/20/2016 - An incredible journey through the C-USA Championship came to a close Sunday afternoon for the Rice Owls in a grueling five-set loss (22-25, 20-25, ...
- Top Videos /
- Online Store