Oct. 25, 2013
• The Owls are coming off a weekend in which they lost two conference road games, first in five sets to UTSA (22-25, 25-23, 17-25, 25-20, 15-17) on Friday and then a straight sets loss at UTEP (22-25, 15-25, 20-25) on Sunday. The five-set loss against the Roadrunners was the Owls fifth this season (0-5).
• One week after being named the C-USA Setter of the Week, freshman Sara Blasier established a season and career-high with 62 assists in the 3-2 loss at UTSA. The Hartford, Wisconsin native is currently eighth in the league in assists per set at 9.77.
• Sunday’s match versus North Texas is one of just three home games remaining this season for Rice. Following the game against the Mean Green the Owls will play four of their final six matches on the road, including three straight.
• Rice is 5-6 at home this season and has won three straight matches at Tudor Fieldhouse.
• The Owls are 7-1 all-time against the Mean Green and have won three straight in the series. The two teams have not played each other since the 2000 campaign when Rice defeated North Texas 3-0 in the season opener under then head coach Julio Morales.
• North Texas (12-12, 4-4) has lost three of their last four matches and three straight by a combined score of 9-1. Sophomore outside hitter Carnae Dillard leads the Mean Green with 344 total kills (4.20 per set), which is third-best in the league. Freshman setter Amy Henard is fourth in C-USA in assists per set (10.41).
About Rice Volleyball
• Rice was the preseason pick to win C-USA by the league’s 15 coaches.
• Rice’s non-conference schedule ranked among the toughest in the league, with an average opponent RPI of 102. Only Tulsa’s was more difficult among Conference USA schools.
• Lizzy Bache was named All-Rice Invitational I for her .404 hitting percentage, 30 kills, and four service aces in the tournament, while Jillian Humphrey picked up All-Rice Invitational II honors for her 39 kills and 11 blocks in mid-September. Humphrey was also named to the All-Bulldog Invitational team for her solid start to the season.
• Daniela Arenas passed the 1,000-dig mark on the opening weekend of Conference USA play, becoming just the 14th player in program history to reach the milestone. The junior continues her climb up the Rice record book, currently ranking 10th with 1,116 digs.
• The Owls have played five, five-set matches this season (0-5 record), including the first two matches of the year. Rice played six five set matches in all of 2012, going 3-3.
• The Rice Owls volleyball squad raised a record $3,553 in their fifth annual Dig Pink match, teaming up with the Side-Out Foundation to raise awareness and funding for breast cancer. Rice’s dedicated Dig Pink match was vs. Charlotte on Oct. 13, which the Owls won 3-0. Over the past five years, the Owls have raised over $8,000 participating in Dig Pink.
Dole, Okafor Earn C-USA Player of Week Awards
09/28/2015 - Rice freshman Julianna Dole was named the Conference USA Setter of the Week while sophomore middle blocker Portia Okafor earned Conference USA...
Volleyball Records Fifth Sweep of Season
09/27/2015 - Noelle Whitlock notched her third double-double of the season and Julianna Dole dished out 44 assists to help guide the Rice Owls' volleyball team ...
Owls Sweep FIU in C-USA Opener
09/25/2015 - Just three days after a postponement due to a team-wide illness, the Rice Owls volleyball squad bounced back with a 3-0 triumph over the FIU...
Volleyball Set to Open C-USA Play at Home This ...
09/24/2015 - The Owls host a pair of C-USA matches this weekend, beginning with FIU on Friday (6 p.m.), followed by Florida Atlantic on Sunday at 1 p.m.
Volleyball Match vs. UTSA to be Rescheduled
09/22/2015 - Due to a majority of the Rice Owls’ volleyball team coming down with a stomach virus, tonight’s Conference USA volleyball match versus ...
Vaio Earns C-USA Defensive Player of the Week
09/21/2015 - Rice senior libero Kimberly Vaio was named the C-USA Defensive Player of the Week, the league office announced Monday afternoon.
Owls Fall to Bears in Baylor Classic Title Game
09/19/2015 - After taking a 1-0 match lead, and leading for most of set two, the Rice Owls’ volleyball squad saw the Baylor Bears storm back to take the...
Volleyball Sweeps Second Straight Match
09/19/2015 - The Rice Owls volleyball team used a balanced offensive attack to claim their second sweep at the Baylor Classic with a three-set (25-18, 25-14, 25...
- Top Videos /
- Online Store