Oct. 25, 2013
• The Owls are coming off a weekend in which they lost two conference road games, first in five sets to UTSA (22-25, 25-23, 17-25, 25-20, 15-17) on Friday and then a straight sets loss at UTEP (22-25, 15-25, 20-25) on Sunday. The five-set loss against the Roadrunners was the Owls fifth this season (0-5).
• One week after being named the C-USA Setter of the Week, freshman Sara Blasier established a season and career-high with 62 assists in the 3-2 loss at UTSA. The Hartford, Wisconsin native is currently eighth in the league in assists per set at 9.77.
• Sunday’s match versus North Texas is one of just three home games remaining this season for Rice. Following the game against the Mean Green the Owls will play four of their final six matches on the road, including three straight.
• Rice is 5-6 at home this season and has won three straight matches at Tudor Fieldhouse.
• The Owls are 7-1 all-time against the Mean Green and have won three straight in the series. The two teams have not played each other since the 2000 campaign when Rice defeated North Texas 3-0 in the season opener under then head coach Julio Morales.
• North Texas (12-12, 4-4) has lost three of their last four matches and three straight by a combined score of 9-1. Sophomore outside hitter Carnae Dillard leads the Mean Green with 344 total kills (4.20 per set), which is third-best in the league. Freshman setter Amy Henard is fourth in C-USA in assists per set (10.41).
About Rice Volleyball
• Rice was the preseason pick to win C-USA by the league’s 15 coaches.
• Rice’s non-conference schedule ranked among the toughest in the league, with an average opponent RPI of 102. Only Tulsa’s was more difficult among Conference USA schools.
• Lizzy Bache was named All-Rice Invitational I for her .404 hitting percentage, 30 kills, and four service aces in the tournament, while Jillian Humphrey picked up All-Rice Invitational II honors for her 39 kills and 11 blocks in mid-September. Humphrey was also named to the All-Bulldog Invitational team for her solid start to the season.
• Daniela Arenas passed the 1,000-dig mark on the opening weekend of Conference USA play, becoming just the 14th player in program history to reach the milestone. The junior continues her climb up the Rice record book, currently ranking 10th with 1,116 digs.
• The Owls have played five, five-set matches this season (0-5 record), including the first two matches of the year. Rice played six five set matches in all of 2012, going 3-3.
• The Rice Owls volleyball squad raised a record $3,553 in their fifth annual Dig Pink match, teaming up with the Side-Out Foundation to raise awareness and funding for breast cancer. Rice’s dedicated Dig Pink match was vs. Charlotte on Oct. 13, which the Owls won 3-0. Over the past five years, the Owls have raised over $8,000 participating in Dig Pink.
Rice Remembers Hally Beth Poindexter
07/20/2016 - Dr. Hally Beth Walker Poindexter (Rice, 1947), who worked tirelessly to establish women’s intercollegiate athletics at Rice University, will ...
Pazo, Waite Ready for Olympics in Rio
08/04/2016 - Former Rice Owl greats Olaya Pazo (beach volleyball) and Lennie Waite (3000m steeplechase) will make their dreams come true in the upcoming days...
Rice Athletics Hosts 2nd Annual Owls Fall Fan Fest
07/21/2016 - Rice Athletics will kick off an exciting fall season of football, soccer and volleyball on Saturday, August 13 when the Owls host their second...
Owl Great Olaya Pazo To Compete In 2016 Olympics
07/14/2016 - Former Rice volleyball star Olaya Pazo is headed to the 2016 Olympics in Rio de Janeiro where she will represent her home country of Venezuela in...
Rice Earns C-USA Institutional Excellence Award
07/12/2016 - For the ninth time in the past 11 years, Rice University student-athletes earned the Conference USA Institutional Excellence Award in 2015-16 by...
Volpe Selected as Assistant Coach for Junior...
07/06/2016 - Rice head volleyball coach Genny Volpe has been selected to be an assistant coach on the U.S. Women’s Junior National Team, according to USA ...
Volleyball Unveils 2016 Schedule
06/15/2016 - Rice head volleyball coach Genny Volpe announced Wednesday a 29-match 2016 schedule that includes 10 matchups against 20-plus win teams and 11...
Apolinario Added to Volleyball Coaching Staff
05/26/2016 - Rice head volleyball coach Genny Volpe announced on Thursday the hiring of Ariel Apolinario as the newest assistant coach on the Owls staff.
- Top Videos /
- Online Store