Oct. 25, 2013
• The Owls are coming off a weekend in which they lost two conference road games, first in five sets to UTSA (22-25, 25-23, 17-25, 25-20, 15-17) on Friday and then a straight sets loss at UTEP (22-25, 15-25, 20-25) on Sunday. The five-set loss against the Roadrunners was the Owls fifth this season (0-5).
• One week after being named the C-USA Setter of the Week, freshman Sara Blasier established a season and career-high with 62 assists in the 3-2 loss at UTSA. The Hartford, Wisconsin native is currently eighth in the league in assists per set at 9.77.
• Sunday’s match versus North Texas is one of just three home games remaining this season for Rice. Following the game against the Mean Green the Owls will play four of their final six matches on the road, including three straight.
• Rice is 5-6 at home this season and has won three straight matches at Tudor Fieldhouse.
• The Owls are 7-1 all-time against the Mean Green and have won three straight in the series. The two teams have not played each other since the 2000 campaign when Rice defeated North Texas 3-0 in the season opener under then head coach Julio Morales.
• North Texas (12-12, 4-4) has lost three of their last four matches and three straight by a combined score of 9-1. Sophomore outside hitter Carnae Dillard leads the Mean Green with 344 total kills (4.20 per set), which is third-best in the league. Freshman setter Amy Henard is fourth in C-USA in assists per set (10.41).
About Rice Volleyball
• Rice was the preseason pick to win C-USA by the league’s 15 coaches.
• Rice’s non-conference schedule ranked among the toughest in the league, with an average opponent RPI of 102. Only Tulsa’s was more difficult among Conference USA schools.
• Lizzy Bache was named All-Rice Invitational I for her .404 hitting percentage, 30 kills, and four service aces in the tournament, while Jillian Humphrey picked up All-Rice Invitational II honors for her 39 kills and 11 blocks in mid-September. Humphrey was also named to the All-Bulldog Invitational team for her solid start to the season.
• Daniela Arenas passed the 1,000-dig mark on the opening weekend of Conference USA play, becoming just the 14th player in program history to reach the milestone. The junior continues her climb up the Rice record book, currently ranking 10th with 1,116 digs.
• The Owls have played five, five-set matches this season (0-5 record), including the first two matches of the year. Rice played six five set matches in all of 2012, going 3-3.
• The Rice Owls volleyball squad raised a record $3,553 in their fifth annual Dig Pink match, teaming up with the Side-Out Foundation to raise awareness and funding for breast cancer. Rice’s dedicated Dig Pink match was vs. Charlotte on Oct. 13, which the Owls won 3-0. Over the past five years, the Owls have raised over $8,000 participating in Dig Pink.
Volleyball Unveils 2016 Schedule
06/15/2016 - Rice head volleyball coach Genny Volpe announced Wednesday a 29-match 2016 schedule that includes 10 matchups against 20-plus win teams and 11...
Apolinario Added to Volleyball Coaching Staff
05/26/2016 - Rice head volleyball coach Genny Volpe announced on Thursday the hiring of Ariel Apolinario as the newest assistant coach on the Owls staff.
Congrats to the Owls 2015-16 Graduating Senior ...
05/11/2016 - Owls graduating on Saturday: Andi Bawcum, Kyley Reed, Kimberly Vaio and Noelle Whitlock
Ferris Named Head Coach at William & Mary
04/27/2016 - Former Rice associate head coach Melissa Ferris was named the head volleyball of William & Mary, the school announced on Wednesday.
Owls Take Down Longhorns to Close Spring Schedule
04/15/2016 - The Rice Owls volleyball team closed out their spring season in style be defeating the Texas Longhorns 3-1 (18-25, 28-26, 26-24, 25-23) Friday...
Spring Update: Owls Win Texas Tornados College ...
04/04/2016 - The Rice Owls volleyball team completed a standout weekend by sweeping McNeese State, Stephen F. Austin, LSU and Texas State in straight sets to...
Owls to Host Texas A&M, Houston in Spring...
03/21/2016 - The Rice Owls volleyball squad will begin their spring portion of their schedule this Friday, March 25 when they host both the Texas A&M Aggies (4 ...
Rice Athletics Honors Scholar-Athletes
02/21/2016 - Rice Athletics and the R Association honored 17 student-athletes who were named the top academic performers in their respective sports at the 30th ...
- Top Videos /
- Online Store