Oct. 25, 2013
• The Owls are coming off a weekend in which they lost two conference road games, first in five sets to UTSA (22-25, 25-23, 17-25, 25-20, 15-17) on Friday and then a straight sets loss at UTEP (22-25, 15-25, 20-25) on Sunday. The five-set loss against the Roadrunners was the Owls fifth this season (0-5).
• One week after being named the C-USA Setter of the Week, freshman Sara Blasier established a season and career-high with 62 assists in the 3-2 loss at UTSA. The Hartford, Wisconsin native is currently eighth in the league in assists per set at 9.77.
• Sunday’s match versus North Texas is one of just three home games remaining this season for Rice. Following the game against the Mean Green the Owls will play four of their final six matches on the road, including three straight.
• Rice is 5-6 at home this season and has won three straight matches at Tudor Fieldhouse.
• The Owls are 7-1 all-time against the Mean Green and have won three straight in the series. The two teams have not played each other since the 2000 campaign when Rice defeated North Texas 3-0 in the season opener under then head coach Julio Morales.
• North Texas (12-12, 4-4) has lost three of their last four matches and three straight by a combined score of 9-1. Sophomore outside hitter Carnae Dillard leads the Mean Green with 344 total kills (4.20 per set), which is third-best in the league. Freshman setter Amy Henard is fourth in C-USA in assists per set (10.41).
About Rice Volleyball
• Rice was the preseason pick to win C-USA by the league’s 15 coaches.
• Rice’s non-conference schedule ranked among the toughest in the league, with an average opponent RPI of 102. Only Tulsa’s was more difficult among Conference USA schools.
• Lizzy Bache was named All-Rice Invitational I for her .404 hitting percentage, 30 kills, and four service aces in the tournament, while Jillian Humphrey picked up All-Rice Invitational II honors for her 39 kills and 11 blocks in mid-September. Humphrey was also named to the All-Bulldog Invitational team for her solid start to the season.
• Daniela Arenas passed the 1,000-dig mark on the opening weekend of Conference USA play, becoming just the 14th player in program history to reach the milestone. The junior continues her climb up the Rice record book, currently ranking 10th with 1,116 digs.
• The Owls have played five, five-set matches this season (0-5 record), including the first two matches of the year. Rice played six five set matches in all of 2012, going 3-3.
• The Rice Owls volleyball squad raised a record $3,553 in their fifth annual Dig Pink match, teaming up with the Side-Out Foundation to raise awareness and funding for breast cancer. Rice’s dedicated Dig Pink match was vs. Charlotte on Oct. 13, which the Owls won 3-0. Over the past five years, the Owls have raised over $8,000 participating in Dig Pink.
Mikesky Selected to C-USA All-Academic Team
11/18/2016 - Rice senior outside hitter Leah Mikesky earned her third consecutive Conference USA All-Academic Volleyball Team selection, the league office...
Volleyball Set to Host C-USA Championship
11/16/2016 - The Owls will be in search of an automatic bid to the NCAA Tournament from Conference USA by winning the C-USA Championship this weekend as the...
Five Owls Named to C-USA All-Conference Teams
11/16/2016 - Conference USA released its annual volleyball All-Conference and All-Freshman teams Wednesday morning and the Rice Owls were well represented with ...
Owls Sweep Roadrunners on Senior Day
11/12/2016 - The Rice Owls volleyball team bounced back from a difficult previous weekend with a 3-0 triumph over the UTSA Roadrunners Saturday afternoon on...
Volleyball to Host UTSA on Senior Day Saturday
11/11/2016 - The Owls return to Tudor Fieldhouse for their final home match of the regular season Saturday afternoon vs. the UTSA Roadrunners on Senior Day.
Rice Volleyball Signs Three
11/09/2016 - Rice volleyball announced the signing of three student-athletes on Wednesday to enroll in school and join the team in 2017.
Volleyball Falls in Five Sets at Southern Miss
11/06/2016 - Four Rice Owls recorded 10 or more kills but a late surge by the Southern Miss Golden Eagles proved too much to overcome in a five set loss (25-22,...
No. 21 WKU Defeats Owls in Straight Sets
11/04/2016 - The Rice Owls volleyball team suffered just their third straight sets loss of the season with a 3-0 setback (25-12, 25-20, 25-18) at No. 21 WKU...
- Top Videos /
- Online Store