Oct. 17, 2013
The Last Meeting
August 28, 2012
San Antonio, Texas
The Last Meeting
October 21, 2012
El Paso, Texas
HOUSTON - The Rice University volleyball team will be riding a bit of momentum off back-to-back home conference victories last week when they travel to both UTSA (Friday) and UTEP (Sunday) this weekend.
Friday's match begins a stretch where Rice will play six of the next eight contests on the road, which includes five of six from now until Nov. 7. The Owls lone home game will be Oct. 27 versus North Texas.
Scouting the Roadrunners (13-7, 5-1 Conference USA)
• The Owls are 13-1 all-time against the Roadrunners and have won four straight in the series.
• Last season Rice defeated UTSA 3-1 (25-17, 25-14, 22-25, 25-11) on Aug. 28. Nancy Cole led the Owls with 14 kills while Mariah Riddlesprigger posted 10. Four Owls recorded double-digit digs, including a team-best 16 from Riddlesprigger.
• UTSA, second in C-USA, saw their five-game conference win streak come to an end last time out at Middle Tennessee (3-0). Prior to that the Roadrunners won by a combined sets score of 15-2. Senior outside hitter McKenzie Adams leads the team with 382 kills (5.31/set) while freshman outside hitter Dajana Boskovic is second with 193.
Scouting the Miners (10-7, 4-2 Conference USA)
• Rice holds a dominant 29-8 series advantage over UTEP and has won five straight meetings between the two teams.
• Last season the Owls went 2-0 (3-0, 3-2) against UTEP and after beating the Miners 3-0 in Houston on Oct. 15, the Owls were pushed to five sets in El Paso. Nancy Cole led the Owls that day with 21 kills while Jillian Humphrey added 13. Four Owls had double-digit digs in the victory, allowing Rice to move to 9-2 in C-USA at the time.
• UTEP, tied for fourth in C-USA, has won seven of their past nine matches but is coming off a 3-0 loss at Southern Miss last week. The Miners are 6-1 at home with their lone loss coming to Oral Roberts.
Volleyball Falls in Season Opener to Cal Poly
08/26/2016 - The Rice Owls volleyball fell in four sets (21-25, 25-21, 22-25, 17-25) to the Cal Poly Mustangs in Friday’s season opener in the first of...
Volleyball Set to Open Season at BYU Invitational
08/25/2016 - The Rice volleyball team opens the 2016 season this weekend, beginning on Friday (4 p.m. CT) against Cal Poly in the first of three matches at the ...
Volleyball To Hold Meet And Greet Aug. 23
08/23/2016 - The Rice Owls volleyball team will host its ninth annual season ticket holder Meet and Greet tonight (Aug. 23) from 5-7 p.m.
Arenas Added to Volleyball Staff as Volunteer...
08/02/2016 - Former Rice volleyball great Daniela Arenas has joined the staff as a volunteer assistant coach, head coach Genny Volpe announced on Friday.
Four Owls Named to Preseason All-Conference USA...
08/01/2016 - The Rice Owls volleyball team has been picked to finish third in Conference USA’s preseason poll, conducted by the league’s head...
Volleyball Earns AVCA Team Academic Award
07/25/2016 - The Rice University volleyball team received the American Volleyball Coaches Association (AVCA) Team Academic Award for an eighth consecutive...
Rice Remembers Hally Beth Poindexter
07/20/2016 - Dr. Hally Beth Walker Poindexter (Rice, 1947), who worked tirelessly to establish women’s intercollegiate athletics at Rice University, will ...
Pazo, Waite Ready for Olympics in Rio
08/04/2016 - Former Rice Owl greats Olaya Pazo (beach volleyball) and Lennie Waite (3000m steeplechase) will make their dreams come true in the upcoming days...
- Top Videos /
- Online Store