Oct. 17, 2013
The Last Meeting
August 28, 2012
San Antonio, Texas
The Last Meeting
October 21, 2012
El Paso, Texas
HOUSTON - The Rice University volleyball team will be riding a bit of momentum off back-to-back home conference victories last week when they travel to both UTSA (Friday) and UTEP (Sunday) this weekend.
Friday's match begins a stretch where Rice will play six of the next eight contests on the road, which includes five of six from now until Nov. 7. The Owls lone home game will be Oct. 27 versus North Texas.
Scouting the Roadrunners (13-7, 5-1 Conference USA)
• The Owls are 13-1 all-time against the Roadrunners and have won four straight in the series.
• Last season Rice defeated UTSA 3-1 (25-17, 25-14, 22-25, 25-11) on Aug. 28. Nancy Cole led the Owls with 14 kills while Mariah Riddlesprigger posted 10. Four Owls recorded double-digit digs, including a team-best 16 from Riddlesprigger.
• UTSA, second in C-USA, saw their five-game conference win streak come to an end last time out at Middle Tennessee (3-0). Prior to that the Roadrunners won by a combined sets score of 15-2. Senior outside hitter McKenzie Adams leads the team with 382 kills (5.31/set) while freshman outside hitter Dajana Boskovic is second with 193.
Scouting the Miners (10-7, 4-2 Conference USA)
• Rice holds a dominant 29-8 series advantage over UTEP and has won five straight meetings between the two teams.
• Last season the Owls went 2-0 (3-0, 3-2) against UTEP and after beating the Miners 3-0 in Houston on Oct. 15, the Owls were pushed to five sets in El Paso. Nancy Cole led the Owls that day with 21 kills while Jillian Humphrey added 13. Four Owls had double-digit digs in the victory, allowing Rice to move to 9-2 in C-USA at the time.
• UTEP, tied for fourth in C-USA, has won seven of their past nine matches but is coming off a 3-0 loss at Southern Miss last week. The Miners are 6-1 at home with their lone loss coming to Oral Roberts.
Volleyball Defeats Texas A&M-Corpus Christi, 3-1
09/17/2016 - The Rice Owls volleyball team won for the second time in as many days with a 3-1 (21-25, 25-22, 25-15, 29-27) triumph over the Texas A&M-Corpus...
Owls Dominant in Sweep of Yale
09/16/2016 - The Rice Owls volleyball team came out on a mission Friday afternoon in Fox Gymnasium, defeating the Yale Bulldogs in straight sets (25-8, 25-15,...
Volleyball to Host Adidas Invitational II
09/15/2016 - The Rice Owls volleyball team hosts their second straight weekend tournament beginning on Friday with two matches in the Rice Adidas Invitational II.
Owls Drop Five-Set Heartbreaker to Texas Tech
09/14/2016 - The Rice Owls volleyball team battled the Texas Tech for five grueling sets on Wednesday evening at Tudor Fieldhouse, but in the end it was the Red...
Volleyball Matches Moved to Fox Gym on Friday
09/14/2016 - In conjunction with Vice President Joe Biden’s speech occurring in Tudor Fieldhouse this Friday, Sept. 16 at 3 p.m., the first two matches of...
Volleyball Hosts Texas Tech on Wednesday
09/13/2016 - The Owls welcome in the Texas Tech Red Raiders on Wednesday evening at 7 p.m. in a non-conference showdown at Tudor Fieldhouse.
No. 24 USC Holds off Owls’ Comeback Attempt
09/10/2016 - On a night where Leah Mikesky became the 16th member of the 1,000 career kills club, the Rice Owls gave the No. 24 USC Trojans quite the fight but ...
Bearkats Rally to Beat Owls in Five Sets
09/10/2016 - Despite double-doubles from junior setter Madison McDaniel and senior outside hitter Leah Mikesky, the Rice Owls volleyball team was unable to...
- Top Videos /
- Online Store