Match 19 Notes (Middle Tennessee)
Sunday, Oct. 11, 1 p.m.
Rice Owls (13-5, 3-1 C-USA) vs. Blue Raiders (4-16, 2-4 C-USA)
Houston, Texas • Tudor Fieldhouse (5,750)
Video Stream: OwlVision ($)
Live Stats: GameTracker
Twitter Updates: @OwlsVB |@MT_Volleyball
Series Record: Rice leads, 2-1
Kids 8th grade and lower will have the chance to participate in a Post-Game Clinic hosted by Coach Volpe and the Rice Owls Volleyball team. Tickets for participants are just $12, which will get you a ticket to the game and the clinic. Parent tickets are only $8. To get your tickets for the clinic go to http://www.riceowls.com/vbclinic and use promo code, VBCLINIC.
Also on Sunday, all Rice Owls Kids Club members will receive free admission to this game. Not a member? Sign your kids up today for only $10 and enjoy a free t-shirt, free entry to Kids Club games, and much more. Visit http://www.riceowls.com/tickets/kidsclub.html for more details.
NEWS AND NOTES
- Rice returns to Tudor Fieldhouse on Sunday to face Middle Tennessee following a 1-1 road trip in which they split a pair of five-set matches at North Texas and Charlotte. The Owls are undefeated (6-0) at home and lead the all-time series over the Blue Raiders, 2-1.
- The Owls check in at No. 43 in the latest NCAA RPI rankings released on Monday. Rice trails only undefeated No. 23 WKU amongst C-USA schools in the rankings, checking in at No. 30.
- Rice ranks fourth in the nation in both team assists (950) and team kills (1,005). The Owls are also 12th in the country in assists per set (13.38). Individually, sophomore middle blocker Portia Okafor is ranked 12th in the nation, first in C-USA, in total blocks (86).
- The Owls got off to their best 16-match start (12-4) since the 2009 season, in which Rice won the C-USA Tournament and advanced to the NCAA Tournament.
- Rice setter Julianna Dole earned the team’s second Conference USA Freshman of the Week honor this season, the league office announced Monday afternoon. Dole, the reigning C-USA Setter of the Week, joined freshman middle blocker McKay Kyle as Rice Freshman of the Week honorees following a weekend in which the Santa Clarita, Calif. native compiled 124 total assists (12.40 per set) and 24 digs over 10 sets. Dole set a C-USA individual match-high with 69 assists in the Owls’ five-set loss at North Texas last Friday. She then followed that career-performance with 55 more assists in the Owls’ thrilling five-set win at Charlotte while posting a career-high 18 digs for her third double-double of the year. Rice ranks eighth in the nation in team assists (818) and 10th in the country in team kills (864). Okafor meanwhile ranks sixth individually in the nation in total blocks (78), tops amongst all C-USA players.
- The Owls are 4-1 in five-set matches after going 1-6 in such instances in 2014.
- Rice will be making up their previously PPD match against UTSA on Wednesday, Oct. 15 at Tudor Fieldhouse. First serve is set for 4 p.m.