Friday (Sept. 26) at Southern Miss: GameTracker | Video ($)
Sunday (Sept. 28) at Western Kentucky: GameTracker | Video ($)
Rice Match Notes
HOUSTON, Texas - Rice volleyball opens Conference USA play with a two-match road swing this weekend beginning at Southern Miss on Friday at 7 p.m. (CT). The Owls then travel to C-USA newcomer Western Kentucky on Sunday at 12 p.m. (CT).
The Last Meeting
October 6, 2013
- Rice will carry a 10-4 all-time record against Southern Miss into Friday’s C-USA opener. The Golden Eagles defeated the Owls, 3-2, last season in Hattiesburg. Rice is 6-4 in conference openers under head coach Genny Volpe and 5-4 in C-USA conference openers.
- On Sunday the Owls travel to Bowling Green, Kentucky for the first time ever to face Western Kentucky, the newest addition to C-USA. The two teams last met back on 1985 in the Carolina Classic Tournament with Rice winning, 3-0. The Hilltoppers have won 15 consecutive home matches dating back to last season and have gone a combined 103-18 the last three and a half seasons.
- Rice was picked to finish third in the C-USA by the league’s coaches.
- Sara Blasier was selected Preseason All-C-USA.
- Both Jillian Humphrey and Andi Bawcum were selected to the All-Rice Invitational II team last weekend.
- Rice won six consecutive matches (Sept. 6-19) for the first time since the 2009-10 season.
- The Owls are off to their best 14-match start (10-4) since the 2009-10 campaign. That season the Owls went 23-9 and advanced to the NCAA Tournament.
- Eight of the Owls first 12 C-USA matches will be away from Tudor Fieldhouse.
- Blasier currently ranks 11th in the nation in total assists (562) and is second in C-USA. Blasier also ranks 39th in assists per set (10.8).
- Daniela Arenas now ranks 23rd in the nation in active career total digs with 1,453. Arenas moved past Yvette Kirk (1,405 digs) this past weekend for second place all-time in Rice history.
- The Owls now rank in the nation’s top 50 in team assists (18th-674), team kills (19th-722), digs per set (22nd-16.77), team digs (25th-872), assists per set (38th-12.96) and kills per set (38th-13.88).
- Transfer Leah Mikesky leads the Owls with nine double-doubles while Blasier has eight. The two have recorded double-doubles in the same match six times.