Rice-UTSA Game Notes (Match 15)
Rice Owls (10-4, 0-0 C-USA) vs. UTSA Roadrunners (9-5, 0-0 C-USA)
Tuesday, Sept. 22, 2015 • 6 p.m. (CT)
Houston, Texas • Tudor Fieldhouse (5,750)
Video Stream: OwlVision ($)
Live Stats: GameTracker
Twitter Updates: @OwlsVB |@UTSAvolleyball
Series Record: Rice leads, 16-4
Rice Village Night with $5 tickets to all Rice Village employees. The link is www.riceowls.com/ricevillage and the promo code is RICEVILLAGE.
NEWS AND NOTES
- Rice begins C-USA action on Tuesday when they open up a three-game homestand against the Roadrunners of UTSA at 6 p.m. at Tudor Fieldhouse. The Owls hold a 14-4 all-time advantage over the Roadrunners, including a 3-0 upset sweep over No. 1 seed UTSA in the Conference USA Tournament last season. That victory came on the heels of a five-set and three-set loss to the Roadrunners in the regular season.
- Rice senior libero Kimberly Vaio was named the C-USA Defensive Player of the Week, the league office announced Monday afternoon. Vaio, from San Antonio, compiled 66 total digs (4.71 per set) over four matches and was named to the Baylor Classic All-Tournament Team as the Best Libero. She dug a season and match-high 24 attacks in a win over UNC-Greensboro and in the process went over the 1,000-career dig plateau to become the 15th Owl in school history to reach the milestone. The 24 digs were the most by a C-USA player in three sets this season. Vaio, who currently ranks 10th in the league with 3.82 digs per set, becomes the fourth different Owl to win a C-USA Player of the Week award this season.
- Rice ranks third in the nation in team assists (733) and sixth in the country in team kills (775). Junior outside hitter Leah Mikesky ranks 19th in the nation in total attacks (571) while sophomore middle blocker Portia Okafor is 19th as well in total blocks (62). The Owls rank first as a team in C-USA in assists per set (10.82).
- The Owls will look to remain perfect at home where they’re 4-0 at Tudor Fieldhouse.
- UTSA is coming off a 3-1 loss at SMU, who is receiving votes in the AVCA’s latest Top 25 poll. Earlier this season the Roadrunners defeated then No. 12 Oregon, 3-1, the program’s first victory over a Top-25 team.
- Following the match against UTSA the Owls will host a pair of weekend conference matches, beginning with FIU on Friday, Sept. 25 at 6 p.m., followed with a Sunday showdown at 1 p.m. vs. Florida Atlantic on Sept. 27.
- The Owls are 3-0 in five-set matches after going 1-6 in such instances in 2014.
- Rice’s victory over LSU on 8/29 marked the first time the Owls rallied from an 0-2 deficit to win since Nov. 27, 2010 vs. Houston.
- The Owls were picked to finish third in C-USA this season, according to a poll of the league’s head coaches, behind reigning champion Western Kentucky and UTSA.