Sept. 19, 2013
|Active Ankle Challenge | Louisville, Ky.|
|2 p.m. CT||Rice vs. Virginia Tech||GameTracker|
|9 a.m. CT||Virginia Tech vs. Bowling Green||GameTracker|
|11 a.m. CT||Rice at Louisville||GameTracker|
|4:30 p.m. CT||Rice vs. Bowling Green||GameTracker|
|6:30 p.m. CT||Louisville vs. Virginia Tech||GameTracker|
LOUISVILLE, Ky. - Rice University volleyball concludes tournament play ahead of the start of Conference USA play with the Active Ankle Challenge in Louisville on Friday and Saturday. The Owls have a quick turnaround with the opening match less than 48 hours after hosting Baylor on Wednesday.
• The Active Ankle Challenge is the last tournament in the regular season for Rice before Conference USA play begins on Sept. 27. The Owls square off against three vaguely familiar foes at the event, having faced Bowling Green once (W, 3-1 in 2008), Louisville twice (0-2, last meeting in 2005) and Virginia Tech once (W, 3-0 in 1990).
• In their last outing, the Owls hosted Baylor on Wednesday night. Rice started strong with a 25-18 win in the opening set before the Bears rallied to take the next three.
• Jillian Humphrey put down double-figure kills for the ninth time in 11 matches on the season, leading the squad with 14, including a .346 hitting percentage. She has now hit over .300 in five-straight matches.
• Daniela Arenas notched 21 of Rice's 66 digs on Wednesday, bringing her career total to 943. With 57 more, she would become the 14th player in program history to pass the 1,000 dig mark. Her 4.07 digs per set ranks eighth in Conference USA.
• Noelle Whitlock has come on strong in the past two matches, with a season-high 14 kills (.387 hitting) against NC State and 11 more kills against Baylor. She previously had only knocked down double-figure kills twice on the season. Her 19 digs against the Wolf Pack were also a season best.
About Rice Volleyball
• Rice was the preseason pick to win C-USA by the league's 15 coaches.
• Lizzy Bache was named All-Rice Invitational I for her .404 hitting percentage, 30 kills, and four service aces in the tournament, while Jillian Humphrey picked up All-Rice Invitational II honors for her 39 kills and 11 blocks last weekend.
• Rice cruised past Houston Baptist in a four-set win to open last weekend's competition before running into tough Missouri and NC State squads.
• In the first Rice Invitational of the season, the Owls played LSU to a four-set loss, but had two thrilling sets, winning a 28-26 first set, and dropping a 31-29 fourth set, the team's longest set since September 15, 2012
• The Owls have played three five-set matches this season (0-3 record), including the first two matches of the year. Rice played six five set matches in all of 2012, going 3-3.
• Two times this season Rice has had four players with double figure kills in the same match: Jillian Humphrey, Megan Murphy, Chelsea Harris & Mariah Riddlesprigger against Fresno State; Noelle Whitlock, Humphrey, Lizzy Bache and Stephanie Mendivil against UALR.
• Megan Murphy and Jillian Humphrey were selected Preseason All-C-USA.
• Rice is seeking its sixth consecutive .500-or-better season.
• Volleyball Season Tickets remain on sale, starting at $50 for adults and $99 for a family four pack.
Dates Set for Summer Volleyball Camps
02/07/2017 - Rice volleyball announced their upcoming summer camp dates, which begin June 25.
Volleyball Releases Spring Schedule
01/18/2017 - Rice volleyball head coach Genny Volpe announced on Wednesday the team's 2017 spring schedule, which will get underway on Saturday, Feb. 25 when...
Livingstone Earns C-USA Spirit of Service Award
12/14/2016 - Rice volleyball player Shelby Livingstone was one of 14 Conference USA student-athletes to receive the league’s Fall Spirit of Service Award,...
Harris, McDaniel Named AVCA All-America...
12/14/2016 - Rice volleyball athletes Chelsey Harris and Madison McDaniel were named to the American Volleyball Coaches Association Honorable Mention All-Americ...
Rice Scholar Athletes Honored
02/26/2017 - Rice Athletics and the R Association honored some of its best and brightest on Sunday evening as the 2017 Rice Scholar Athletes and Honor Athletes ...
Mikesky Named to CoSIDA Academic All-America...
12/08/2016 - Senior outside hitter Leah Mikesky was named to the CoSIDA Academic All-America Division I First Team, the organization announced on Thursday.
Trio of Owls Earn AVCA Southwest Region Honors
12/06/2016 - Rice volleyball athletes Chelsey Harris and Madison McDaniel were selected to the American Volleyball Coaches Association (AVCA) Southwest Region...
Owls Drop Thrilling C-USA Championship to WKU...
11/20/2016 - An incredible journey through the C-USA Championship came to a close Sunday afternoon for the Rice Owls in a grueling five-set loss (22-25, 20-25, ...
- Top Videos /
- Online Store