Sept. 17, 2013
Bears Take Down Owls 3-1
Waco, Texas - Rice's two match winning-streak came to a halt at the Baylor Classic as the Owls lost 3-1 to the host Baylor Bears at the Ferrell Center. Game scores were 14-25, 18-25, 25-16, and 22-25.
• The Owls hold a 23-16 advantage in the all-time series against former conference rival Baylor. The programs have not met since 2008, when the Bears claimed a 3-1 home win in the Baylor Classic. Five Owls notched double-figure digs in that contest, but Rice was unable to overcome a 12.5-4 deficit in blocks in the setback. The loss was one of just four non-conference defeats for Rice that season, as the team earned an at-large bid to the NCAA Tournament.
• With Rice’s win over Houston Baptist last Friday, the team improved to 3-0 against in-state rivals. Following Wednesday’s tilt with Baylor, the Owls play three league matches against Texas teams and are slated for a Nov. 7 rematch with HBU.
• Baylor is the only Big 12 school on Rice’s schedule this season, but the Owls are familiar with the league. Rice brings a two-match winning streak against current Big 12 members into Wednesday’s contest, with 3-0 wins against Texas Tech in 2010 and ‘12. (The Owls dropped a 2010 meeting with former member Missouri in 2010.)
• The Owls have one tournament left on the schedule before Conference USA play begins on Sept. 27. Rice travels to Louisville for the Active Ankle Challenge.
• Junior middle blocker Jillian Humphrey has fired out of the gates on offense this season, racking up double-figure kills in 8-of-10 matches. (Her season low in kills is eight.) She has hit over .300 in each of the last four matches with a cumulative .369 hitting percentage during the stretch.
• Daniela Arenas’ career-high 35 digs in last Friday’s win over Houston Baptist marked the fourth-most in a match in program history. Her previous best was 27 digs, set last season at Tulsa. The junior libero has pulled within 183 digs of Rice’s career top-10 list, and at her current pace would crack the list by late October.
About Rice Volleyball
• Rice was the preseason pick to win C-USA by the league’s coaches.
• Lizzy Bache was named All-Rice Invitational I for her .404 hitting percentage, 30 kills, and four service aces in the tournament, while Jillian Humphrey picked up All-Rice Invitational II honors for her 39 kills and 11 blocks last weekend.
• Rice cruised past Houston Baptist in a four-set win to open last weekend’s competition before running into tough Missouri and NC State squads.
• In the first Rice Invitational of the season, the Owls played LSU to a four-set loss, but had two thrilling sets, winning a 28-26 first set, and dropping a 31-29 fourth set, the team’s longest set since September 15, 2012
• The Owls have played three five-set matches this season (0-3 record), including the first two matches of the year. Rice played six five set matches in all of 2012, going 3-3.
• Two times this season Rice has had four players with double figure kills in the same match: Jillian Humphrey, Megan Murphy, Chelsea Harris & Mariah Riddlesprigger against Fresno State; Noelle Whitlock, Humphrey, Lizzy Bache and Stephanie Mendivil against UALR.
• Megan Murphy and Jillian Humphrey were selected Preseason All-C-USA.
• Rice is seeking its sixth consecutive .500-or-better season.
• Volleyball Season Tickets remain on sale, starting at $50 for adults and $99 for a family four pack.
Volleyball Falls in Season Opener to Cal Poly
08/26/2016 - The Rice Owls volleyball fell in four sets (21-25, 25-21, 22-25, 17-25) to the Cal Poly Mustangs in Friday’s season opener in the first of...
Volleyball Set to Open Season at BYU Invitational
08/25/2016 - The Rice volleyball team opens the 2016 season this weekend, beginning on Friday (4 p.m. CT) against Cal Poly in the first of three matches at the ...
Volleyball To Hold Meet And Greet Aug. 23
08/23/2016 - The Rice Owls volleyball team will host its ninth annual season ticket holder Meet and Greet tonight (Aug. 23) from 5-7 p.m.
Arenas Added to Volleyball Staff as Volunteer...
08/02/2016 - Former Rice volleyball great Daniela Arenas has joined the staff as a volunteer assistant coach, head coach Genny Volpe announced on Friday.
Four Owls Named to Preseason All-Conference USA...
08/01/2016 - The Rice Owls volleyball team has been picked to finish third in Conference USA’s preseason poll, conducted by the league’s head...
Volleyball Earns AVCA Team Academic Award
07/25/2016 - The Rice University volleyball team received the American Volleyball Coaches Association (AVCA) Team Academic Award for an eighth consecutive...
Rice Remembers Hally Beth Poindexter
07/20/2016 - Dr. Hally Beth Walker Poindexter (Rice, 1947), who worked tirelessly to establish women’s intercollegiate athletics at Rice University, will ...
Pazo, Waite Ready for Olympics in Rio
08/04/2016 - Former Rice Owl greats Olaya Pazo (beach volleyball) and Lennie Waite (3000m steeplechase) will make their dreams come true in the upcoming days...
- Top Videos /
- Online Store