Sept. 17, 2013
Bears Take Down Owls 3-1
Waco, Texas - Rice's two match winning-streak came to a halt at the Baylor Classic as the Owls lost 3-1 to the host Baylor Bears at the Ferrell Center. Game scores were 14-25, 18-25, 25-16, and 22-25.
• The Owls hold a 23-16 advantage in the all-time series against former conference rival Baylor. The programs have not met since 2008, when the Bears claimed a 3-1 home win in the Baylor Classic. Five Owls notched double-figure digs in that contest, but Rice was unable to overcome a 12.5-4 deficit in blocks in the setback. The loss was one of just four non-conference defeats for Rice that season, as the team earned an at-large bid to the NCAA Tournament.
• With Rice’s win over Houston Baptist last Friday, the team improved to 3-0 against in-state rivals. Following Wednesday’s tilt with Baylor, the Owls play three league matches against Texas teams and are slated for a Nov. 7 rematch with HBU.
• Baylor is the only Big 12 school on Rice’s schedule this season, but the Owls are familiar with the league. Rice brings a two-match winning streak against current Big 12 members into Wednesday’s contest, with 3-0 wins against Texas Tech in 2010 and ‘12. (The Owls dropped a 2010 meeting with former member Missouri in 2010.)
• The Owls have one tournament left on the schedule before Conference USA play begins on Sept. 27. Rice travels to Louisville for the Active Ankle Challenge.
• Junior middle blocker Jillian Humphrey has fired out of the gates on offense this season, racking up double-figure kills in 8-of-10 matches. (Her season low in kills is eight.) She has hit over .300 in each of the last four matches with a cumulative .369 hitting percentage during the stretch.
• Daniela Arenas’ career-high 35 digs in last Friday’s win over Houston Baptist marked the fourth-most in a match in program history. Her previous best was 27 digs, set last season at Tulsa. The junior libero has pulled within 183 digs of Rice’s career top-10 list, and at her current pace would crack the list by late October.
About Rice Volleyball
• Rice was the preseason pick to win C-USA by the league’s coaches.
• Lizzy Bache was named All-Rice Invitational I for her .404 hitting percentage, 30 kills, and four service aces in the tournament, while Jillian Humphrey picked up All-Rice Invitational II honors for her 39 kills and 11 blocks last weekend.
• Rice cruised past Houston Baptist in a four-set win to open last weekend’s competition before running into tough Missouri and NC State squads.
• In the first Rice Invitational of the season, the Owls played LSU to a four-set loss, but had two thrilling sets, winning a 28-26 first set, and dropping a 31-29 fourth set, the team’s longest set since September 15, 2012
• The Owls have played three five-set matches this season (0-3 record), including the first two matches of the year. Rice played six five set matches in all of 2012, going 3-3.
• Two times this season Rice has had four players with double figure kills in the same match: Jillian Humphrey, Megan Murphy, Chelsea Harris & Mariah Riddlesprigger against Fresno State; Noelle Whitlock, Humphrey, Lizzy Bache and Stephanie Mendivil against UALR.
• Megan Murphy and Jillian Humphrey were selected Preseason All-C-USA.
• Rice is seeking its sixth consecutive .500-or-better season.
• Volleyball Season Tickets remain on sale, starting at $50 for adults and $99 for a family four pack.
Dole, Okafor Earn C-USA Player of Week Awards
09/28/2015 - Rice freshman Julianna Dole was named the Conference USA Setter of the Week while sophomore middle blocker Portia Okafor earned Conference USA...
Volleyball Records Fifth Sweep of Season
09/27/2015 - Noelle Whitlock notched her third double-double of the season and Julianna Dole dished out 44 assists to help guide the Rice Owls' volleyball team ...
Owls Sweep FIU in C-USA Opener
09/25/2015 - Just three days after a postponement due to a team-wide illness, the Rice Owls volleyball squad bounced back with a 3-0 triumph over the FIU...
Volleyball Set to Open C-USA Play at Home This ...
09/24/2015 - The Owls host a pair of C-USA matches this weekend, beginning with FIU on Friday (6 p.m.), followed by Florida Atlantic on Sunday at 1 p.m.
Volleyball Match vs. UTSA to be Rescheduled
09/22/2015 - Due to a majority of the Rice Owls’ volleyball team coming down with a stomach virus, tonight’s Conference USA volleyball match versus ...
Vaio Earns C-USA Defensive Player of the Week
09/21/2015 - Rice senior libero Kimberly Vaio was named the C-USA Defensive Player of the Week, the league office announced Monday afternoon.
Owls Fall to Bears in Baylor Classic Title Game
09/19/2015 - After taking a 1-0 match lead, and leading for most of set two, the Rice Owls’ volleyball squad saw the Baylor Bears storm back to take the...
Volleyball Sweeps Second Straight Match
09/19/2015 - The Rice Owls volleyball team used a balanced offensive attack to claim their second sweep at the Baylor Classic with a three-set (25-18, 25-14, 25...
- Top Videos /
- Online Store