Sept. 17, 2013
Bears Take Down Owls 3-1
Waco, Texas - Rice's two match winning-streak came to a halt at the Baylor Classic as the Owls lost 3-1 to the host Baylor Bears at the Ferrell Center. Game scores were 14-25, 18-25, 25-16, and 22-25.
• The Owls hold a 23-16 advantage in the all-time series against former conference rival Baylor. The programs have not met since 2008, when the Bears claimed a 3-1 home win in the Baylor Classic. Five Owls notched double-figure digs in that contest, but Rice was unable to overcome a 12.5-4 deficit in blocks in the setback. The loss was one of just four non-conference defeats for Rice that season, as the team earned an at-large bid to the NCAA Tournament.
• With Rice’s win over Houston Baptist last Friday, the team improved to 3-0 against in-state rivals. Following Wednesday’s tilt with Baylor, the Owls play three league matches against Texas teams and are slated for a Nov. 7 rematch with HBU.
• Baylor is the only Big 12 school on Rice’s schedule this season, but the Owls are familiar with the league. Rice brings a two-match winning streak against current Big 12 members into Wednesday’s contest, with 3-0 wins against Texas Tech in 2010 and ‘12. (The Owls dropped a 2010 meeting with former member Missouri in 2010.)
• The Owls have one tournament left on the schedule before Conference USA play begins on Sept. 27. Rice travels to Louisville for the Active Ankle Challenge.
• Junior middle blocker Jillian Humphrey has fired out of the gates on offense this season, racking up double-figure kills in 8-of-10 matches. (Her season low in kills is eight.) She has hit over .300 in each of the last four matches with a cumulative .369 hitting percentage during the stretch.
• Daniela Arenas’ career-high 35 digs in last Friday’s win over Houston Baptist marked the fourth-most in a match in program history. Her previous best was 27 digs, set last season at Tulsa. The junior libero has pulled within 183 digs of Rice’s career top-10 list, and at her current pace would crack the list by late October.
About Rice Volleyball
• Rice was the preseason pick to win C-USA by the league’s coaches.
• Lizzy Bache was named All-Rice Invitational I for her .404 hitting percentage, 30 kills, and four service aces in the tournament, while Jillian Humphrey picked up All-Rice Invitational II honors for her 39 kills and 11 blocks last weekend.
• Rice cruised past Houston Baptist in a four-set win to open last weekend’s competition before running into tough Missouri and NC State squads.
• In the first Rice Invitational of the season, the Owls played LSU to a four-set loss, but had two thrilling sets, winning a 28-26 first set, and dropping a 31-29 fourth set, the team’s longest set since September 15, 2012
• The Owls have played three five-set matches this season (0-3 record), including the first two matches of the year. Rice played six five set matches in all of 2012, going 3-3.
• Two times this season Rice has had four players with double figure kills in the same match: Jillian Humphrey, Megan Murphy, Chelsea Harris & Mariah Riddlesprigger against Fresno State; Noelle Whitlock, Humphrey, Lizzy Bache and Stephanie Mendivil against UALR.
• Megan Murphy and Jillian Humphrey were selected Preseason All-C-USA.
• Rice is seeking its sixth consecutive .500-or-better season.
• Volleyball Season Tickets remain on sale, starting at $50 for adults and $99 for a family four pack.
Owls Head to Austin for Showdown with No. 3 Texas
08/26/2015 - The Rice Owls volleyball heads to Austin this weekend to open the season against No. 3 Texas, LSU and UC Irvine in the American Campus Classic.
Follow The Owls On Snapchat
08/26/2015 - Be sure and follow the Rice volleyball team on Snapchat for the upcoming 2015 season as each student-athlete will take turns capturing videos and...
Volleyball To Hold Meet And Greet Aug. 26
08/20/2015 - The Rice Owls volleyball team will host its eighth annual Meet and Greet on Wednesday, Aug. 26 at 5 p.m. in Fox Gym.
Volleyball Wraps Up First Week of Camp
08/14/2015 - Rice Head Coach Genny Volpe and junior Chelsey Harris talk about the first week of camp and the team's expectations for the 2015 season.
Fall Fan Fest Set for August 22
08/03/2015 - Rice Athletics will kick off an exciting fall season of football, soccer and volleyball on Saturday, August 22 when the Owls host their first...
Volleyball Picked to Finish Third in Conference...
07/30/2015 - Following a 23-10 campaign in 2014 and a trip to the Conference USA title game, the Rice Owls volleyball team was picked to finish third in the...
Volleyball Earns Seventh Consecutive AVCA...
07/29/2015 - For a seventh consecutive season the Owls volleyball squad received the Team Academic Award from the American Volleyball Coaches Association (AVCA)...
Volleyball Adds Harris As Volunteer Assistant
07/17/2015 - Paula Harris has joined the Rice volleyball staff as a volunteer assistant coach, head coach Genny Volpe announced on Friday.
- Top Videos /
- Online Store