Buy Tickets | GameTracker | Watch (OwlVision-$) | Twitter Updates | Match Notes
HOUSTON - On the heels of a successful weekend in Austin, the Rice Owls (2-1) volleyball team returns to the court Tuesday for their home opener against the Lamar Cardinals (3-0) at 6 p.m.
A $5 ticket walk-up special is being offered to fans if they bring either their ticket for this Saturday's home football game versus Wagner or their ticket stub from the soccer game versus Texas A&M from Aug. 21.
New and Notes
- Rice went 2-1 in the season-opening American Campus Classic, defeating LSU and UC Irvine after falling to No. 3 Texas. Lamar went 3-0 in their own Lamar Invitational, defeating UAB, Marist and Texas Southern. The Cardinals are 3-0 for the first time since 2001.
- Rice leads the all-time series against Lamar, 15-9, and will be meeting for the first time since 2013.
- Rice sophomore setter Madison McDaniel was recognized as the Conference USA Setter of the Week, the league office announced on Monday. A transfer from Arizona State, McDaniel helped orchestrate the Rice offense with 123 combined assists over 12 sets, including two 50-assist performances in each of the Owls’ victories this weekend at the American Campus Classic. The Woodlands, Texas native averaged 10.25 assists per set along with 3.17 digs per set. McDaniel helped the Owls bounce back from a season-opening loss to Texas by registering a monster double-double (50 assists, 23 digs) in the Owls’ dramatic comeback victory over LSU.
- Rice’s victory over LSU marked the first time the Owls rallied from an 0-2 deficit to win since Nov. 27, 2010 vs. Houston.
- Junior outside hitter Leah Mikesky had a career-high 23 kills in the victory over UC Irvine with only two attacking errors on 51 attacks.
- Junior right side hitter Chelsey Harris earned her first career double-double in the win over LSU with 19 kills and 10 digs.