by Chuck Pool (firstname.lastname@example.org) -
After waiting out delays for both rain and lightning, the Rice women’s tennis team was able to send their senior class out with a win as the Owls blanked Louisiana Tech, 4-0, at the George R. Brown Tennis Center on Saturday.
The match was delayed for over two hours and began under gray skies and chilly temperature, but less ended under sunny skies as the 43rd ranked Owls improved their record 13-7 heading into next week’s Conference USA Championship in Norfolk, Virginia.
Fittingly, it was the three seniors who provided most of the scoring on the day.
Lindsey Hodge and Wendy Zhang raced to a 6-1 win at #1 doubles, despite Zhang being slowed by illness. Fellow senior Savannah Durkin and doubles teammate Michaela Haet clinched the doubles point with a win at #3 doubles.
Hodge and Durkin added the Owls next two points with straight set wins in singles before freshman Anna Bowtell provided the clinching point.
The Owls will now turn their attentions to defending their five consecutive Conference USA titles next weekend. The tournament bracket will be announced on Monday and play begins Thursday on the campus of Old Dominion.
4/14/2018 at Houston, TX
(George R. Brown Tennis Center)
#43 Rice 4, Louisiana Tech 0
1. Lindsey Hodge (RICEW) def. Nadja Manjon (TECH) 6-4, 6-0
2. Michaela Haet (RICEW) vs. Sonia Chen (TECH) 6-3, 3-1, unfinished
3. Fernanda Astete (RICEW) vs. Karla De La Luz (TECH) 6-3, 4-1, unfinished
4. Anna Bowtell (RICEW) def. Angela Lorenzo (TECH) 6-2, 6-2
5. Savannah Durkin (RICEW) def. Claudia Oravcova (TECH) 6-3, 6-3
6. Priya Niezgoda (RICEW) vs. Andrea Perez-Lopez (TECH) 6-2, 4-1, unfinished
1. #42 Lindsey Hodge/Wendy Zhang (RICEW) def. Karla De La Luz/Andrea Perez-Lopez (TECH) 6-1
2. Priya Niezgoda/Fernanda Astete (RICEW) vs. Angela Lorenzo/Nadja Manjon (TECH) 3-5, unfinished 3. Savannah Durkin/Michaela Haet (RICEW) def. Sonia Chen/Claudia Oravcova (TECH) 6-3
Louisiana Tech 9-11
Rice 13-7; National ranking #43
Order of finish: Doubles (1,3); Singles (1,5)
Senior Day T-2:05 A-75