April 7, 2012
The 36th ranked Rice Owls women's tennis team closed out their home schedule and senior Ana Guzman made her last home appearance a memorable one by delivering the clinching point in a 7-0 blanking of Texas Pan American at Jake Hess Tennis Stadium on Saturday.
Prior to the match, the Owls honored Guzman, who has been an anchor in the Owls' lineup for four seasons on the court in addition to earning numerous academic accolades as well. She partnered with Katie Gater to clinch the doubles point with an 8-0 win, then came back to deliver the clinching fourth point of the match with a straight set win at No. 4 singles.
"I was pleased the way we bounced back from some tough matches last week, and it was a great way for Ana to play her last home match," Rice head coach Elizabeth Schmidt said. "We really played our game today and didn't let any emotions get in the way. It was a great way to set us up for a pair of tough matches next week as we continue our preparations for the conference championships in two weeks," she added.
"I was a little nervous, but I was excited because it was my last match at home," Guzman said. "Every time we play here, it's just an amazing experience. I was glad we got the win in doubles and everyone really played well."
The Owls raced to wins in the first sets of all six singles matches without losing a game. They continued on in the second sets to improve their season record to 13-6.
Rice will close out the regular season next weekend with a pair of matches on the road. They will face C-USA rival SMU in Dallas at 1 pm on Saturday and then close the regular season on Sunday with a 2 p.m. match against TCU in Ft. Worth.
Tennis Match Results
Texas-Pan American vs Rice
4/7/2012 at Houston, Texas
(Jake Hess Tennis Stadium)
#36 Rice 7, Texas-Pan American 0
1. #44 Natalie Beazant (RICE) def. Malin Andersen (UTPA) 6-0, 6-0
2. Dominique Harmath (RICE) def. Wanda Beguelin (UTPA) 6-0, 6-3
3. Katie Gater (RICE) def. Dana Nazarova (UTPA) 6-0, 6-0
4. Ana Guzman (RICE) def. Suncica Strkic (UTPA) 6-0, 6-1
5. Kimberly Anicete (RICE) def. Cindy Sands (UTPA) 6-0, 6-0
6. Leah Fried (RICE) def. Blanca G. Izaguirre (UTPA) 6-0, 6-1
1. #35 Natalie Beazant/Dominique Harmath (RICE) def. Malin Andersen/Suncica Strkic (UTPA) 8-0
2. Ana Guzman/Katie Gater (RICE) def. Wanda Beguelin/Dana Nazarova (UTPA) 8-0
3. Kimberly Anicete/Leah Fried (RICE) def. Blanca G. Izaguirre/Cindy Sands (UTPA) 8-2
Texas-Pan American 2-11
Rice -136; National ranking #36
Order of finish: Doubles (1,2,3); Singles (3,1,4,5,6,2)