Ip's Rally Leads Rice Over Yale
Owls complete eastern swing
March 29, 2014
Katherine Ip overcame a first set loss to post her seventh consecutive singles win and give the 30th ranked Rice Owls a 4-3 win over No. 52 Yale at the McCormack-Nagelsen Tennis Center in Williamsburg, Virginia on Saturday.
"That was a very good Yale team that we beat today," Rice head coach Elizabeth Schmidt said. "We had to battle extremely hard in order to win this one and as a team we really did that. We fought back from some deficits in singles to keep us in the match and we are proud of the team for this effort."
The matchup with the Bulldogs was held indoors at the College of William and Mary's McCormack-Nagelsen Tennis Center after rains delayed the start of the match by an hour. Rice (12-5) started fast grabbing the doubles point in impressive fashion.
"Doubles was pretty key today," Schmidt said. "It was the best doubles point we have played all season and is what I know we are capable of doing day in and day out."
Yale (7-7) responded to the doubles loss by tying the match with a win on court one, but freshman Alison Ho put Rice back on top with a straight set win on court six. The win was her sixth consecutive win and improved her season dual record to 13-4.
While the Bulldogs answered with a win on four in straight sets, the final three singles matches and the outcome of the dual required third sets to be decided.
Dominique Harmath became the seventh Rice women's tennis player to reach 90 career wins with her ninth consecutive dual win, downing Hanna Yu 6-4, 4-6, 6-3. Yale responded to knot the match up with a win on five, leaving the outcome to be decided on court three in the match between Ip and Yale's Ree Ree Li.
Li took the opening set 7-5, but Ip rebounded to win the final two sets 6-3, 6-3 and deliver her second clinching point in a 4-3 win over a ranked team. She also provided the final point in the Owls' 4-3 win over Oklahoma State in the opening round of the ITA Kickoff Weekend in February.
The Owls will return home next Saturday to host DePaul at Jake Hess Tennis Stadium.
Yale vs Rice
3/29/2014 at Williamsburg, VA
(McCormack-Nagelsen Tennis Center)
#30 Rice 4, #52 Yale 3
1. Madeleine Hamilton (YALE) def. #72 Natalie Beazant (RICE) 6-1, 6-2
2. #120 Dominique Harmath (RICE) def. Hanna Yu (YALE) 6-4, 4-6, 6-3
3. #83 Katherine Ip (RICE) def. Ree Ree Li (YALE) 5-7, 6-3, 6-3
4. Annie Sullivan (YALE) def. Liat Zimmermann (RICE) 7-5, 6-2
5. Sherry Li (YALE) def. Kimberly Anicete (RICE) 6-3, 5-7, 6-1
6. Alison Ho (RICE) def. Caroline Lynch (YALE) 7-5, 6-2
1. #55 Natalie Beazant/Liat Zimmermann (RICE) def. #58 Ree Ree Li/Hanna Yu (YALE) 8-5
2. Dominique Harmath/Alison Ho (RICE) def. Annie Sullivan/Sherry Li (YALE) 8-6
3. Solomiya Zinko/Katherine Ip (RICE) vs. Amber Li/Madeleine Hamilton (YALE) 6-3, unfinished
Yale 7-7; National ranking #52
Rice 12-5; National ranking #30
Order of finish: Doubles (1,2); Singles (1,6,4,2,5,3)