Owls Tame Tigers for 10th Win
Face William & Mary and Yale this weekend
March 25, 2014
The Rice women's tennis team showed little effect from a nine-day layoff, dropping Missouri 6-1 at Jake Hess Tennis Stadium on Tuesday as seniors Kimberly Anicete and Dominique Harmath continued their rise up the Owls' career win list.
Anicete picked up her 92nd career win to move in to a tie for fifth with Blair DiSesa while Harmath's 88 career win moved her into sole possession of seventh.
"I was actually a little concerned since we had not played in a while, but I thought we did an excellent job of coming out and really not missing a beat," head coach Elizabeth Schmidt said. "We did a really nice job of setting the tone in doubles. All three of our teams played with discipline. They were aggressive when they needed to be, but played within themselves. I thought we carried the momentum well into singles. It was a battle at the start. What we did a really good job of was staying the course and staying confident and disciplined."
Freshman Alison Ho gave Rice a 2-0 lead with a swift 6-1, 6-2 win over Tracy Dong, extending her current winning streak to four and winning for the eighth time in her last 10 matches. Harmath bounced back from an early 4-0 deficit to win 12 of the next 13 games and defeat Mizzou's Kelli Hine 6-4, 6-1 for her seventh straight win and push the Owls margin to 3-0.
Freshman Katherine Ip provided the clinching point moments later with a 6-2, 6-2 win over Rachel Stuhlmann.
Liat Zimmerman and Anicete followed with wins to close out the scoring.
The Owls will take to the road this weekend for matches against William & Mary and Yale in Williamsburg, Virginia.
Tennis Match Results
Missouri vs Rice
3/25/2014 at Houston, TX (Jake Hess Tennis Stadium)
#23 Rice 6, Missouri 1
1. Cierra Gaytan-Leach (MIZZOU) def. #60 Natalie Beazant (RICE) 6-3, 4-6, 10-8
2. #110 Dominique Harmath (RICE) def. Kelli Hine (MIZZOU) 6-4, 6-1
3. #85 Katherine Ip (RICE) def. Rachel Stuhlmann (MIZZOU) 6-2, 6-2
4. Liat Zimmermann (RICE) def. Madison Rhyner (MIZZOU) 6-3, 6-2
5. Kimberly Anicete (RICE) def. Cassidy Spearman (MIZZOU) 7-6, 6-4
6. Alison Ho (RICE) def. Tracy Dong (MIZZOU) 6-1, 6-2
1. #67 Natalie Beazant/Liat Zimmermann (RICE) def. Cierra Gaytan-Leach/Rachel Stuhlmann (MIZZOU) 8-3
2. Dominique Harmath/Alison Ho (RICE) def. Madison Rhyner/Cassidy Spearman (MIZZOU) 8-6
3. Katherine Ip/Solomiya Zinko (RICE) def. Kelli Hine/Tracy Dong (MIZZOU) 8-3