March 11, 2011
Box Score / Photo Gallery
Wake Forest poiled the Rice women's tennis team's first home match in nearly a month, winning three of four singles matches that were extended to three sets and hand the Owls a 5-2 loss at Jake Hess Tennis Stadium on Friday.
The match was part of doubleheader between the two schools, and the Deacons made it a sweep when their men's team downed Rice by an identical 5-2 score.
"This was obviously another tough match for us," Rice head coach Elizabeth Schmidt "Wake played a great match and I know it's frustrating for our team. But I told them to remember that we've played a very tough schedule to this point, and we have been in every match. We'll keep working on the little things that have hampered our ability to close things out when we have our opportunities."
After the Deacons captured the doubles point, freshman Kim Anicete pulled the Owls back even with a straight-set victory at No. 6. Anicete was a late addition to the lineup after Ana Guzman was scratched. After Dominique Harmath lost in straight sets at No. 2, the Owls' four remaining players extended their matches to three sets, but only Daniella Trigo at No. 5 was able to close out her match at give the Owls their second point of the day.
The Owls will be back on the court on Sunday morning when they host Lee Junior College at Jake Hess Tennis Stadium.
Tennis Match Results
Wake Forest vs Rice
3/11/2011 at Houston, TX
(Jake Hess Tennis Stadium)
#75 Wake Forest 5, #53 Rice 2
1. #45 Martina Pavelec (WF) def. #101 Rebekka Hänle (RICE) 4-6, 6-4, 6-3
2. Kathryn Talbert (WF) def. Dominique Harmath (RICE) 6-3, 6-3
3. #114 Emilee Malvehy (WF) def. Jessica Jackson (RICE) 7-6 (7-2), 3-6, 6-4
4. Daniella Trigo (RICE) def. Kayla Duncan (WF) 6-4, 0-6, 6-4
5. Ryann Cutillo (WF) def. Alex Rasch (RICE) 6-2, 2-6, 6-2
6. Kim Anicete (RICE) def. Anna Mydlowska (WF) 6-1, 6-1
1. #17 Kayla Duncan/Kathryn Talbert (WF) def. Rebekka Hänle/Ana Guzman (RICE) 8-4
2. Martina Pavelec/Emilee Malvehy (WF) def. Alex Rasch/Dominique Harmath (RICE) 8-3
3. Daniella Trigo/Jessica Jackson (RICE) def. Ryann Cutillo/Brigita Bercyte (WF) 8-4
Wake Forest 5-6; National ranking #75
Rice 8-7; National ranking #53
Order of finish: Doubles (2,3,1); Singles (6,2,5,4,1,3)