March 10, 2013
The 26th ranked Rice women's tennis team was forced to head indoors by morning rain, but they shook off the change of venue to race to a 4-0 win over Texas State at the Galleria Tennis & Athletic Club on Sunday.
"Our team did a nice job stepping up and getting the win today," Rice head coach Elizabeth Schmidt said. "Texas State always fights hard and makes you earn the match so we were happy to see our team come out and take care of business."
The doubles point came down to the battle at No. 1 after the two squads split matches on 2 & 3. Rice's top pair of Natalie Beazant and Dominique Harmath grabbed the point with their seventh consecutive win, downing TSU's Jessica Kahts and Melissa Hadad, 8-5.
With only four court available, singles action began between the first four players in each lineup. Schmidt held Beazant out of the lineup in singles, moving the rest of the lineup one spot in the order.
Kimberly Anicete , Katie Gater and Liat Zimmermann responded with wins at 4, 3 and 2 to clinch the match. Harmath's match at one was suspended in the second set, as were matches that began on courts 5 and 6.
The Owls will be back on the Jake Hess courts on Saturday when they host Western Michigan at 3:00 p.m.
Texas State vs. Rice
(Galleria Tennis and Athletic Club)
#26 Rice 4, Texas State 0
1. #80 Dominique Harmath (RICE) vs. Jessica Kahts (TXST) 5-7, 3-5, unfinished
2. Liat Zimmermann (RICE) def. Melissa Hadad (TXST) 6-2, 6-4
3. Katie Gater (RICE) def. Monica Pieratt (TXST) 6-1, 6-4
4. Kimberly Anicete (RICE) def. Rachel Baldree (TXST) 6-4, 6-0
5. Solomiya Zinko (RICE) vs. Mariana Perez (TXST) 4-0, unfinished
6. Stephanie Nguyen (RICE) vs. B. Van Den Bergh (TXST) 0-1, unfinished
1. Natalie Beazant/Dominique Harmath (RICE) def. Jessica Kahts/Melissa Hadad (TXST) 8-5
2. Katie Gater/Liat Zimmermann (RICE) def. Monica Pieratt/Katy Collins (TXST) 8-1
3. Mariana Perez/Rachel Baldree (TXST) def. Daniela Trigo/Solomiya Zinko (RICE) 8-3
Texas State 4-4
Rice 9-4; National ranking #26
Order of finish: Doubles (2,3,1); Singles (4,3,2)