March 8, 2014
Box Score |
The Rice women's tennis team got back on the winning track on Saturday, shutting out Texas State 7-0 at Jake Hess Tennis Stadium on Saturday.
"I was happy the way we came out and played today," Rice head coach Elizabeth Schmidt said. "It seems like a long time since our last match. Part of that was the disappointment we felt after the Tulsa match (a 4-1 loss last Sunday) when we didn't play our best tennis that day so we've been wanting to get back out there. On top of that, with Spring Break we've had a little more downtime than usual."
The Owls wasted no time in taking the doubles point. Solomyia Zinko and Katherine Ip raced to an 8-0 win at court three and were quickly followed by Dominique Harmath and Alison Ho on court two who clinched the point with an 8-2 win.
"Texas State usually has very good doubles and has pushed us pretty much every year we have played," Schmidt said. "We controlled the doubles from start to finish, which is something we've been working on. It was nice to see them be able to implement some of the things we've been working on in the match."
Harmath carried her doubles momentum over into singles, winning 12 games without a loss against Monica Pieratt to extend the lead to 2-0.
"Dominique has really been playing solid tennis and has been taking it to her opponent. She's been playing within herself. I'm proud of her for that effort," Schmidt added.
Harmath's win was her 85th career singles victory, which moved her into a tie for 9th on the Rice career list with Judith Hagedorn (1999-2002). Natalie Beazant's 6-2, 6-1 win over the Bobcats' Jessica Kahts was her 80th career win in singles, allowing her to join Harmath and Kimberly Anicete (89-37) to give the Owls three players with 80 career wins on the same team for the first time in school history.
With the win, the Owls improved to 7-5. They will be back on the road next weekend when they head to New Orleans for duals with Georgia State and Tulane.
Schmidt said she hopes the team can build on their performance against the Bobcats.
"We really took it to them today from start to finish and that's something I'd like to see us continue to do moving forward," she added.
Tennis Match Results
Texas State vs Rice
3/8/2014 at Houston, Texas
(Jake Hess Tennis Stadium)
#26 Rice 7, Texas State 0
1. #72 Natalie Beazant (RICE) def. Jessica Kahts (TXST) 6-2, 6-1
2. Dominique Harmath (RICE) def. Monica Pieratt (TXST) 6-0, 6-0
3. #74 Katherine Ip (RICE) def. Ana Laura Gutierrez (TXST) 6-3, 6-0
4. Liat Zimmermann (RICE) def. Shannon Beckett (TXST) 6-3, 6-3
5. Kimberly Anicete (RICE) def. Eva Dench (TXST) 6-4, 6-4
6. Alison Ho (RICE) def. Pippa Carr (TXST) 6-0, 6-3
1. Natalie Beazant/Liat Zimmermann (RICE) def. Jessica Kahts/Ana Laura Gutierrez (TXST) 8-1
2. Dominique Harmath/Alison Ho (RICE) def. Monica Pieratt/Shannon Beckett (TXST) 8-2
3. Solomiya Zinko/Katherine Ip (RICE) def. Katy Collins/Eva Dench (TXST) 8-0
Texas State 6-4
Rice 7-5; National ranking #26
Order of finish: Doubles (3,2,1); Singles (2,1,3,4,6,5)