For the second consecutive match, the Rice women’s tennis team saw their bid to topple a ranked rival from the Big XII fall short as 38th ranked Baylor used the momentum of a tiebreak win in doubles to spark a 4-0 win over the Owls at the George R. Brown Tennis Center on Tuesday night.
In much the same fashion as their loss to No. 8 Texas Tech on Saturday, the Owls found themselves in line to grab the early advantage, only to lose a tiebreaker to decide the doubles point and then seen their visitors storm out to decisive wins in singles to take the win.
“Obviously it changes it a little bit when you win or lose the doubles point, but the reality is you have to get four points,’ Rice head coach Elizabeth Schmidt said. “There is always going to be adversity, whether it’s losing a close set, whether it’s a player out of the lineup, whether it’s the other team making one extra ball. We just weren’t up to overcoming the adversity today.
Rice split the first sets of singles with Baylor, but the Bears held off any hope of a rally by closing out the three singles matches in which they led, while holding the Owls off the scoreboard by extending each of the three singles matches where Rice had won the opening set.
“I really think we could have overcome some of the things we faced, but we have to have everybody all in every single point,” Schmidt added. “That’s what championship teams do, day in and day out and that is what we will continue to work on. There is going to be adversity and we have to be able to step up, embrace it and be stronger.”
The Owls (6-5) will be on the road this weekend for matches at Denver (March 11) and Colorado (March 13) before returning home on March 16 to host UTRGV.
Baylor vs Rice
3/6/2018 at Houston, TX
(George R. Brown Tennis Center)
#38 Baylor 4, Rice 0
1. Lindsey Hodge (RICEW) vs. Theresa Van Zyl (BU) 6-4, 5-2, unfinished
2. Wendy Zhang (RICEW) vs. Kris Sorokolet (BU) 7-5, 1-4, unfinished
3. Camilla Abbate (BU) def. Fernanda Astete (RICEW) 6-1, 6-2
4. Angie Shakhraichuk (BU) def. Savannah Durkin (RICEW) 6-3, 6-1
5. Anna Bowtell (RICEW) vs. Jessica Hinojosa (BU) 6-3, 5-7, 0-1, unfinished
6. Livia Kraus (BU) def. Priya Niezgoda (RICEW) 6-3, 6-1
1. Kris Sorokolet/Jessica Hinojosa (BU) def. #24 Lindsey Hodge/Wendy Zhang (RICEW) 7-6 (7-5)
2. Fernanda Astete/Priya Niezgoda (RICEW) def. Theresa Van Zyl/Giorgia Testa (BU) 6-2
3. Dominika Sujova/Angie Shakhraichuk (BU) def. Anna Bowtell/Savannah Durkin (RICEW) 6-2
Baylor 6-6; National ranking #38
Order of finish: Doubles (3,2,1);