by Chuck Pool (firstname.lastname@example.org) -
The Rice women’s tennis team closed out its three-match homestand in swift fashion, dropping Texas State 4-0 at the George R. Brown Tennis Center on Friday afternoon.
After back-to-back 4-3 battles with Texas A&M and Houston to open the home slate, Rice was able to jump on the Bobcats early and maintained that momentum in singles. Rice took five of six first sets in singles and saw a pair of matches abandoned with the Owls leading 5-1 in the second set after Anna Bowtell provided the clinching point.
“I thought our team did a good job of coming out and taking care of business,” Rice head coach Elizabeth Schmidt said. We talked about staying focused, being disciplined and playing their game and I thought they did that today.”
The Owls travel to Baton Rouge tomorrow to prepare for a Sunday dual with LSU. They return to GRBTC on March 3 when they host #8 Texas Tech.
Texas State vs Rice
2/23/2018 at Houston, TX
(George R. Brown Tennis Center)
#39 Rice 4, Texas State 0
1. Lindsey Hodge (RICEW) vs. Perez, Ana (TXST) 6-2, 5-1, unfinished
2. Wendy Zhang (RICEW) def. Navajo-Melendez, J (TXST) 6-1, 6-1
3. Savannah Durkin (RICEW) vs. Israel-Lewis,Rishona (TXST) 4-6, 3-0, unfinished
4. Anna Bowtell (RICEW) def. Jones, Alex (TXST) 6-3, 6-1
5. Priya Niezgoda (RICEW) def. Chia Ming Ming, Joy (TXST) 6-2, 6-1
6. Sofie Moenster (RICEW) vs. Murcia-Rodriguez, S (TXST) 6-0, 5-1, unfinished
1. #16 Wendy Zhang/Lindsey Hodge (RICEW) def. Israel-Lewis,Rishona/Jones, Alex (TXST) 6-0
2. Anna Bowtell/Priya Niezgoda (RICEW) vs. Perez, Ana/Navajo-Melendez, J (TXST) 3-4, unfinished
3. Fernanda Astete/Savannah Durkin (RICEW) def. Chia Ming Ming, Joy/Murcia-Rodriguez, S (TXST) 6-2
Texas State 0-7
Rice 6-2; National ranking #39
Order of finish: Doubles (1,3); Singles (2,5,4)