Ip Caps Owls Comeback over Cowgirls
Face Auburn on Saturday
Feb. 21, 2014
Katherine Ip shook off a loss in a second set tiebreaker and bounced back to defeat Kanyapat Narattana 10-3 in a deciding match tiebreaker to give the 24th ranked Rice women's tennis team a 4-3 win over #29 Oklahoma State in the opening round of the 65th Blue-Gray National Tennis Classic at the Lagoon Park Tennis Center in Montgomery, Alabama.
Rice (4-3) will move on to face 19th ranked Auburn on Saturday.
"We are extremely proud of the resilience and fight that our team showed today," head coach Elizabeth Schmidt said. "It was a gutsy performance from start to finish by our whole team and we look forward to getting back out there again tomorrow."
Ip improved her singles record to 4-2, including a 2-0 mark against ranked opponents by bouncing back from a loss in the second set to Narattana. The 88th ranked senior from Bangkok, Thailand rallied from a 5-2 deficit to even the match. She continued her hot play at the start of the match tiebreaker, taking an early 2-0 lead before Ip took control and won 10 of the next 11 points. The win was Ip's second in three match tiebreaks this season.
Ip's win capped a comeback for the Owls who had to rebound from a loss in doubles. They moved quickly to set the stage for a win by taking four of six first sets in singles, but the Cowgirls battled back and the match came down to four match tiebreakers to determine the outcome.
Dominique Harmath won the first of those match tiebreaks to put the Owls on the board with a 6-1, 2-6, 10-8 victory over #68 Megan McCray and after OSU won on six, Liat Zimmermann followed with the Owls lone straight-set win of the afternoon to tie the match again, 2-2.
OSU took its final lead with a match tiebreak win on one, only to see freshman Alison Ho complete a rally of her own, bouncing back from a first set loss to win her match tiebreaker and knot things again at 3-3, setting the stage for Ip's dramatic win at three.
Tennis Match Results
Oklahoma State vs Rice
2/21/2014 at Montgomery, AL
(Lagoon Park Tennis Center)
#24 Rice 4, #29 Oklahoma State 3
1. Viktoriya Lushkova (OSU) def. Natalie Beazant (RICE) 3-6, 6-4, 10-7
2. Dominique Harmath (RICE) def. #64 Megan McCray (OSU) 6-1, 2-6, 10-8
3. Katherine Ip (RICE) def. #88 Kanyapat Narattana (OSU) 6-4, 6-7, 10-3
4. Liat Zimmermann (RICE) def. Katarina Adamovic (OSU) 6-3, 6-2
5. Carla Tur Mari (OSU) def. Kimberly Anicete (RICE) 6-3, 6-2
6.Alison Ho (RICE) def. Karyn Guttormsen (OSU) 4-6, 6-4, 10-2
1. Viktoriya Lushkova/Kanyapat Narattana (OSU) def. Natalie Beazant/Liat Zimmermann (RICE) 7-5
2. Carla Tur Mari/Maria Alvarez (OSU) def. Dominique Harmath/Katherine Ip (RICE) 7-4
3. Solomiya Zinko/Alison Ho (RICE) vs. Katarina Adamovic/Karyn Guttormsen (OSU) 6-6, unfinished
Oklahoma State 3-4; National ranking #29
Rice 4-3; National ranking #24
Order of finish: Doubles (1,2); Singles (2,5,4,1,6,3)
Blue-Gray National Tennis Classic