Feb. 17, 2013
Texas Tech withstood the dominance of Natalie Beazant and Dominique Harmath to hand the Rice women's tennis team a 4-2 loss at Jake Hess Tennis Stadium on Sunday.
The 21st ranked Red Raiders (5-2) defeated the Owls for the second time in the last three weeks and Owls' head coach Elizabeth Schmidt said Tech's formula for success was much the same.
"Obviously, almost the exact same match as a few weeks ago," Schmidt said. "Overall, Tech did a better job than us today at the big moments and credit to them for that. We've got a quick turnaround now, so it's going to be important for us to refocus and get ready for a tough LSU team on Wednesday."
Beazant and Harmath completed an undefeated weekend of action by winning their singles matches by identical 6-2, 6-1 verdicts and combining for an 8-3 win in doubles over Tech's 58th ranked duo of Rashmi Teltumbde and Nikki Sanders.
The doubles point was not decided until the final games. Rice' No. 3 duo of Solomiya Zinko and Daniella Trigo, who had dropped an 8-1 decision to Tech's Caroline Starck andElizabeth Ullathorne in January, rallied from a 6-2 deficit to tie the match at 7-7 before the Raiders prevailed.
In singles, Rice took a brief 2-1 lead when Beazant and Harmath closed out their singles matches, But Tech stormed back to clinch the day with wins at 3, 4 and 6. Kimberly Anicete's match on Court 5 was halted after the match was clinched.
The Owls will be back on the Jake Hess courts on Wednesday when they face 50th LSU at 1 p.m.
Texas Tech vs. Rice
2/17/2013 at Houston, Texas
(Jake Hess Tennis Stadium)
#21 Texas Tech 4, #32 Rice 2
1. #84 Natalie Beazant (RICE) def. Rashmi Teltumbde (TTECH) 6-2, 6-1
2. #111 Dominique Harmath (RICE) def. #80 Samantha Adams (TTECH) 6-2, 6-1
3. Kenna Kilgo (TTECH) def. Katie Gater (RICE) 6-4, 6-2
4. Elizabeth Ullathorne (TTECH) def. Liat Zimmermann (RICE) 6-4, 6-4
5. Kimberly Anicete (RICE) vs. Nikki Sanders (TTECH) 2-6, 6-4, 2-3, unfinished
6. Caroline Starck (TTECH) def. Solomiya Zinko (RICE) 6-4, 6-0
1. Natalie Beazant/Dominique Harmath (RICE) def. #58 Rashmi Teltumbde/Nikki Sanders (TTECH) 8-3
2. Samantha Adams/Kenna Kilgo (TTECH) def. Katie Gater/Liat Zimmermann (RICE) 8-4
3. Caroline Starck/Elizabeth Ullathorne (TTECH) def. Daniela Trigo/Solomiya Zinko (RICE) 9-7
Texas Tech 5-2; National ranking #21
Rice 5-4; National ranking #32
Order of finish: Doubles (2,1,3); Singles (2,1,3,6,4)