Feb. 9, 2013
Elizabeth Schmidt's 32nd ranked Rice women's tennis team took charge early and closed with a pair of impressive comebacks to blank Texas Arlington 7-0 in a dual match at Jake Hess Tennis Stadium on Saturday.
"It was good to see us set the tone by jumping out early," Schmidt said. "UTA is the type of team that if you give them an opening, they can really push you. After the tough matches last weekend on the road, it was good to see us take command early. We made a lot of first serves and played the deciding points very well to not extend the games."
Rice quickly grabbed the doubles point thanks to 8-1 wins at both 1 & 3. They continued that momentum into singles, clinching the match with wins by Solomiya Zinko, Katie Gater and Dominique Harmath. Liat Zimmermann added the Owls fifth point with a win on Court 5, but the final two points required rallies.
On Court 1, Natalie Beazant had cruised to a 6-1 win in the opening set, but just as quickly found herself down 5-1 to Brook Dennis in the second set. Facing the loss of the set, she battled back to win the next six games to take the match.
Kimberly Anicete dropped her second set to Giada D'Ortona but then closed out the day by taking the Super Tiebreaker 10-3.
"It was nice to see Natalie fight back from 5-1 down in her match and Kim played a great tiebreaker. D'Ortona is someone who has always played our team tough, and Kim responded well to the challenge, " Schmidt added.
The Owls will be back on the Jake Hess courts on Friday when they host C-USA rival Tulane at 1 p.m.
UT Arlington vs. Rice
2/9/2013 at Houston, Texas
(Jake Hess Tennis Stadium)
#32 Rice 7, UT Arlington 0
1. #50 Natalie Beazant (RICE) def. Dennis, Brook (UTA) 6-1, 7-5
2. Dominique Harmath (RICE) def. Dikosavljevic, Katar (UTA) 6-1, 6-2
3. Katie Gater (RICE) def. Scott, Verena (UTA) 6-1, 6-1
4. Kimberly Anicete (RICE) def. D'Ortona, Giada (UTA) 6-3, 4-6, 1-0 (10-3)
5. Liat Zimmermann (RICE) def. Thoms, Elizabeth (UTA) 6-2, 6-3
6. Solomiya Zinko (RICE) def. Smaizyta, Liucija (UTA) 6-0, 6-0
1. #56 Natalie Beazant/Dominique Harmath (RICE) def. Dennis, Brook/Thoms, Elizabeth (UTA) 8-1
2. Katie Gater/Liat Zimmermann (RICE) def. D'Ortona, Giada/Scott, Verena (UTA) 8-4
3. Daniela Trigo/Solomiya Zinko (RICE) def. Dikosavljevic, Katar/Foote, Christine (UTA) 8-1
UT Arlington 0-2
Rice 4-3; National ranking #32
Order of finish: Doubles (1,3,2); Singles (6,3,2,1,5,4)