Tulsa Takes C-USA Opener
Owls return home to face UTA on Saturday
Feb. 3, 2013
Defending C-USA Champion Tulsa jumped on Rice early and rode that advantage to a 5-2 win in Women's Tennis at the Michael D. Case Center in Tulsa on Sunday morning.
Playing indoors because of cool morning temperatures in Tulsa, the 23rd ranked hosts grabbed the doubles point to take and early lead, then raced to wins at singles at 1, 2 and 3 to clinch the match. Rice (3-3, 0-1) bounced back on the strength of wins by Liat Zimmermann at 5 and Solomiya Zinko at 6 to cut the margin to 4-2 before TU's Maria Sant'Anna outlasted Kimberly Anicete in a pair of tiebreakers to win at 4.
"Kim, Liat and Solo did a nice job keeping us in the match, but the top of Tulsa's lineup played very well," Rice head coach Elizabeth Schmidt said. "They used the conditions to their advantage and really took it to us today."
The 32nd ranked Owls will be back on their home courts for the first time since the opening week of the dual season when they host UT-Arlington at 10 a.m. on Saturday.
"We'll get back to the practice court this week and continue to use the knowledge we gain from each dual match as an opportunity to get better."
Tennis Match Results
Rice vs Tulsa
Feb 03, 2013 at Tulsa, Okla.
(Michael D. Case Tennis Center)
#23 Tulsa 5, #32 Rice 2
1. #124 Samantha Vickers (TLS) def. #50 Natalie Beazant (RICE) 6-2, 6-0
2. Isaura Enrique (TLS) def. Dominique Harmath (RICE) 6-3, 6-1
3. Michelle Farley (TLS) def. Katie Gater (RICE) 6-2, 6-3
4. Maria Sant'Anna (TLS) def. Kimberly Anicete (RICE) 7-6 (7-5), 7-6 (7-4)
5. Liat Zimmerman (RICE) def. Saana Saarteinen (TLS) 6-4, 6-2
6. Solomiya Zinko (RICE) def. Carol Benito (TLS) 6-3, 6-4
1. #9 Samantha Vickers/Isaura Enrique (TLS) def. #56 Natalie Beazant/Dominique Harmath (RICE) 8-3
2. Michelle Farley/Saana Saarteinen (TLS) vs. Kimberly Anicete/Katie Gater (RICE) unfinished
3. Maria Sant'Anna/Renata Kuricova (TLS) def. Liat Zimmerman/Solomiya Zinko (RICE) 8-6
Match Notes: Rice 3-3; National ranking #32
Tulsa 5-1; National ranking #23
Order of finish: Doubles (1,3); Singles (1,3,2,5,4)