Feb. 2, 2013
Daniela Trigo served through four match points to provide the spark and her teammates showcased the depth of the roster to grind out a 4-3 win over 43rd ranked Oklahoma at the Headington Family Tennis Center in Norman, Oklahoma on Saturday.
Rice combined the doubles points with straight set wins from Kimberly Anicete, Liat Zimmerman and Solomiya Zinko to snap a two-match losing streak for Rice.
"We really showed the strength of the lineup and the resiliency of the team with the way we bounced back from last weekend and came through with a win over a quality opponent today," Rice head coach Elizabeth Schmidt said.
The 32nd ranked Owls (3-2) were coming off a pair of tough losses in the ITA Kickoff Weekend and looking for their first win over a nationally ranked foe. After the two sides split the first two doubles matches, the day's first point was within the Sooner's grasp after taking a 7-4 lead.
But Trigo fought off four match points to hold serve at 5-7. She and Zinko never looked back, winning the next two games and the tiebreaker game to give the Owls what would prove to be the deciding point in the match.
"Obviously, doubles was crucial to our success," Schmidt said."Dani and Solo did a great job of playing each point in their comeback and not worrying about the scoreboard. Katie (Gater) and Liat also were solid in evening things up with their win at 2."
After the tight battle for the doubles point, Anicete and Zinko quickly pushed the Owls to one point from clinching with quick wins at No. 4 and No. 6. After Oklahoma picked up its first point with a win at No. 1, sophomore Liat Zimmerman delivered the clinching point at No. 5.
The Owls will move north for a 10 a.m. match with 23rd ranked Tulsa on Sunday, which will also serve as their conference season opener.
"It's always been a battle when we meet Tulsa, and I expect nothing less tomorrow," Schmidt said. "I know the team is excited and ready for the challenge and taking a win with us is an added plus."
Tennis Match Results
Rice vs. Oklahoma
2/2/2013 at Norman, Oklahoma
(Headington Family Tennis Center)
#32 Rice 4, #43 Oklahoma 3
1. #99 Hermon Brhane (OKLAHOMA) def. #50 Natalie Beazant (RICE) 6-4, 6-2
2. Whitney Ritchie (OKLAHOMA) def. Dominique Harmath (RICE) 6-1, 4-6, 1-0 (10-5)
3. Mia Lancaster (OKLAHOMA) def. Katie Gater (RICE) 7-6 (7-2), 7-6 (7-6)
4. Kimberly Anicete (RICE) def. Whitney Wofford (OKLAHOMA) 6-1, 6-1
5. Liat Zimmerman (RICE) def. Zita Engbroks (OKLAHOMA) 6-3, 6-1
6. Solomiya Zinko (RICE) def. Emma Devine (OKLAHOMA) 6-0, 6-2
1. #55 Hermon Brhane/Whitney Ritchie (OKLAHOMA) def. #56 Natalie Beazant/Dominique Harmath (RICE) 8-5
2. Katie Gater/Liat Zimmerman (RICE) def. Mia Lancaster/Zita Engbroks (OKLAHOMA) 8-6
3. Daniela Trigo/Solomiya Zinko (RICE) def. Emma Devine/Whitney Wofford (OKLAHOMA) 8-7 (7-4)
Rice 3-2; National ranking #32
Oklahoma 2-2; National ranking #43
Order of finish: Doubles (1,2,3); Singles (4,6,1,5,2,3)