by Chuck Pool (firstname.lastname@example.org) -
The Rice women's tennis team could not carry over their early momentum from doubles and dropped a 4-2 decision to Oregon in the opening round of the ITA Kickoff Weekend at the Ralphs-Straus Tennis Center in Malibu, California on Saturday.
The Owls (1-1) grabbed the early lead in the match when the 12th ranked tandem of Lindsey Hodge and Wendy Zhang closed out the Duck's 17th rated duo of Alyssa Tobita and Shweta Sangwan, 6-3, but Oregon stormed back to take four of six first sets in singles.
Oregon closed out three of those four matches in straight sets to take a 3-1 lead, but Lindsey Hodge cut the margin to 3-2 with a 7-5, 1-6, 6-2 win over Julia Eshet. The Ducks shut down any hopes of a further rally with a win on court five.
"It was really too bad we couldn't take that momentum from winning the doubles point into the singles," Rice head coach Elizabeth Schmidt said. "Conditions were tough out there and I thought in doubles we did a nice job handling the situation. In singles, we just weren't able to consistently put up enough resistance, some of that due to us getting in our own way and some due to Oregon finding a way to get the job done. This was a good growing experience for our team and now it is important we rebound and be ready for tomorrow."
Rice will face Maryland, a 4-0 loser to host Pepperdine, in a consolation match at noon on Sunday.
Tennis Match Results
Rice vs University of Oregon
1/27/2018 at Malibu, Calif.
(Ralphs-Straus Tennis Center)
University of Oregon 4, Rice 2
1. Tobita, Alyssa (ORE) def. Wendy Zhang (RICEW) 6-2, 6-4
2. Lindsey Hodge (RICEW) def. Eshet, Julia (ORE) 7-5, 1-6, 6-2
3. Sangwan, Shweta (ORE) def. Michaela Haet (RICEW) 6-2, 6-1
4. Nasser, Daniela (ORE) vs. Fernanda Astete (RICEW) 6-1, 3-6, 1-5, unfinished
5. Lilien, Julia (ORE) def. Priya Niezgoda (RICEW) 6-7 (8-10), 6-3, 6-2
6. Wagner, Paiton (ORE) def. Savannah Durkin (RICEW) 6-2, 6-3
1. #12 Wendy Zhang/Lindsey Hodge (RICEW) def. #17 Tobita, Alyssa/Sangwan, Shweta (ORE) 6-3
2. Eshet, Julia/Kahfiani, Rifanty (ORE) def. Michaela Haet/Fernanda Astete (RICEW) 6-3
3. Anna Bowtell/Priya Niezgoda (RICEW) def. Wagner, Paiton/Nasser, Daniela (ORE) 6-4
University of Oregon 3-0
Order of finish: Doubles (2,3,1); Singles (3,6,1,2,5)
ITA Kick-Off Weekend
Hosted by Pepperdine University