Jan. 27, 2013
Florida State used the depth of its four nationally-ranked singles players to overcome a tight loss in doubles and down Rice 4-2 in the consolation match of the ITA Kickoff Weekend at the Hurd Tennis Center on the campus of Baylor University in Waco on Sunday.
"Matches like this are always gutting to lose, however, our team showed a ton of heart and character today," Rice head coach Elizabeth Schmidt said. "We will get back to work on the practice court this week and the experience we gained this weekend will aide us in the long run."
Coming off a tough loss to 21st ranked Texas Tech on Saturday, Schmidt knew her 29th ranked Owls were headed for a tough draw in the consolation match. Heading into the Baylor Regional, Schmidt had said the lineup might have been one of the toughest in the country.
The Seminoles had dropped a 4-2 decision to Baylor on Friday after having to default both a doubles and single match due to injury.
Rice reversed its fortune from Saturday, capturing the doubles point thanks to wins at 1&2. Natalie Beazant and Dominique Harmath rebounded from a loss on Saturday win 8-4 while Stephanie Nguyen and Katie Gater used a late service break to take an 8-6 win at 2 and give the owls a 1-0 lead.
However the Seminoles came back to take a 3-1 lead with wins at 1, 4 and 6. The Owls won the first set on the other three courts, setting the stage for an extended battle that lasted nearly four hours.
Harmath cut the margin to 3-2 with a straight set win over 48th ranked Mia Vriens, the first of her dual career against a top 50 player. But Rice could not maintain the needed momentum of first set wins at 3 and 5 and FSU clinched the match with a three set win at 3.
Rice will be back on the road next weekend and will again face a pair of nationally ranked opponents. They will face Oklahoma on Saturday at noon in Norman and then move on to face 24th ranked Tulsa at 10 a.m. on Sunday.
Tennis Match Results
Rice vs Florida State University
1/27/2013 at Waco, Texas
(Hurd Tennis Center)
#36 Florida State Univerisity 4, #29 Rice 2
1. #37 Borthwick, Daneika (FSU) def. #50 Natalie Beazant (RICE) 6-4, 6-3
2. Dominique Harmath (RICE) def. #48 Vriens, Mia (FSU) 6-4, 6-4
3. #73 Segarelli, Francesca (FSU) def. Katie Gater (RICE) 5-7, 7-6 (8-6), 6-1
4. #100 Sargeant, Amy (FSU) def. Kimberly Anicete (RICE) 6-0, 6-1
5. Cartwright, Kerrie (FSU) vs. Solomiya Zinko (RICE) 3-6, 6-2, 5-5, unfinished
6. Schleich, Kristina (FSU) def. Daniela Trigo (RICE) 6-4, 6-1
1. #56 Natalie Beazant/Dominique Harmath (RICE) def. Borthwick, Daneika/Vriens, Mia (FSU) 8-4
2. Stephanie Nguyen/Katie Gater (RICE) def. Sargeant, Amy/Cartwright, Kerrie (FSU) 8-6
3. Schleich, Kristina/Segarelli, Francesca (FSU) def. Solomiya Zinko/Kimberly Anicete (RICE) 8-3
Rice 2-2; National ranking #29
Florida State Univerisity 3-1; National ranking #36
Order of finish: Doubles (1,3,2); Singles (4,6,1,2,3)