Tech Holds Off Owls
Will face #36 Florida State at 11 am Sunday
Jan. 26, 2013
Texas Tech used an early win in doubles to set the momentum and then held off a charge by Rice during singles to take a 4-2 victory in a first round match of the 2013 ITA Kickoff Weekend at the Hurd Tennis Center in Waco, Texas on Saturday.
With the win, the 21st ranked Red Raiders (2-0) will face the host Baylor Bears at 2 pm to decide a berth in the national indoor college championships. Rice will face 36th ranked Florida State in a consolation match at 11 a.m. Sunday morning.
"It's disappointing to lose this match, but I was pleased to see the competitive spirit of our team and credit to Tech for their play today," Rice head coach Elizabeth Schmidt said. "There is a lot to be learned from these high-level, close matches and we will take this experience and be better down the road from it. And, tomorrow against Florida State is our 1st opportunity to do that."
After the two squads split doubles matches at 1 and 3, the crucial opening point was decided on court two where Tech's 33rd ranked doubles team of Nikki Sanders and Rashmi Teltumbde held off Rice's Katie Gater and Stephanie Nguyen, 8-5.
Tech started quickly in singles, taking first sets in four of six matches, but the Owls battle back to close the score to 3-2 thanks to wins by their top two singles players.
Sophomore Natalie Beazant, currently ranked 50th, fought back from a first set loss to Tech's 49th ranked Samantha Adams to win in three sets. Dominique Harmath added the Owls second point with a straight set win over Kenna Kilgo, clinching the point with a 7-3 tiebreaker in the second set.
Tennis Match Results
Rice vs Texas Tech
Jan 26, 2013 at Waco, Texas
(Hurd Tennis Center)
#21 Texas Tech 4, #29 Rice 2
1. #50 Natalie Beazant (RICE) def. #49 Samantha Adams (TT) 2-6, 6-1, 6-3
2. Dominique Harmath (RICE) def. Kenna Kilgo (TT) 6-0, 7-6 (7-3)
3. Rashmi Teltumbde (TT) def. Katie Gater (RICE) 6-1, 6-3
4. Elizabeth Ullathorne (TT) def. Kimberly Anicete (RICE) 7-5, 4-6, 1-0 Unfinished
5. Sandra Dynka (TT) def. Solomiya Zinko (RICE) 6-2, 7-5
6. Caroline Starck (TT) def. Stephanie Nguyen (RICE) 3-6, 7-5, 6-1
1. #56 Natalie Beazant/Dominique Harmath (RICE) def. Samantha Adams/Kenna Kilgo (TT) 8-6
2. #33 Nikki Sanders/Rashmi Teltumbde (TT) def. Katie Gater/Stephanie Nguyen (RICE) 8-5
3. Caroline Starck/Elizabeth Ullathorne (TT) def. Kimberly Anicete/Solomiya Zinko (RICE) 8-1
Rice 2-1; National ranking #29
Texas Tech 2-0; National ranking #21
Order of finish: Doubles (3,1,2); Singles (3,1,5,2,6)