Jan. 20, 2013
Box Score |
The 29th ranked Rice women's tennis team blanked Texas Pan American 7-0 at Jake Hess Tennis Stadium on Sunday, completing a sweep of weekend action and building momentum heading into next weekend's ITA Kickoff Weekend.
"We got better this weekend," Rice head coach Elizabeth Schmidt said. "It was great to get outside and play some matches. We got a lot of people in the lineup and they got to play matches so they were able to get those first match jitters out of the way."
After heavy morning fog soaked the Hess Courts and forced a morning match between the men's teams from Texas Tech and Mississippi State to be delayed by two hours, the Owls (2-0) and Broncos (0-2) were not able to take the court until 2 p.m.
However the delay had effect on the Owls, nor did the need to scratch sophomore Liat Zimmerman from the doubles lineup after an injury in warm-ups. Freshman Solomiya Zinko replaced Zimmerman at No. 2 doubles and she teamed with Katie Gater to take an 8-0 win. The Owls claimed the doubles point when their top duo of Natalie Beazant and Dominique Harmath also raced to an 8-0 win.
Schmidt altered the lineup for singles, giving Natalie Beazant the afternoon off and moving the rest of the lineup up one spot, and the Owls responded by sweeping all six matches.
The Owls will take their 2-0 record north to Waco next weekend when they take part in the Kickoff Weekend of the ITA National Indoor Championships. They will face Texas Tech, who was ranked 21st in the opening ITA rankings, in a first round match on Saturday at 2 p.m. Baylor will meet Florida State in the second match, with the winners facing off at 2 p.m. on Sunday for a berth in the national finals.
Tennis Match Results
Texas Pan American vs Rice
1/20/2013 at Houston, Texas
(Jake Hess Tennis Stadium)
#29 Rice 7, Texas Pan American 0
1. Dominique Harmath (RICE) def. Dana Nazarova (UTPA) 6-3, 6-1
2. Katie Gater (RICE) def. Didi Fatchikova (UTPA) 6-2, 6-3
3. Kimberly Anicete (RICE) def. Manon Lavrijssen (UTPA) 6-2, 6-1
4. Stephanie Nguyen (RICE) def. Wanda Beguelin (UTPA) 6-4, 6-0
5. Solomiya Zinko (RICE) def. Anastasia Burobina (UTPA) 6-3, 6-2
6. Daniela Trigo (RICE) def. Reegan Greenwood (UTPA) 6-3, 6-3
1. #56 Natalie Beazant/Dominique Harmath (RICE) def. Reegan Greenwood/Dana Nazarova (UTPA) 8-0
2. Katie Gater/Solomiya Zinko (RICE) def. Anastasia Burobina/Wanda Beguelin (UTPA) 8-0
3. Kimberly Anicete/Stephanie Nguyen (RICE) def. Manon Lavrijssen/Didi Fatchikova (UTPA) 8-7 (7-2)
Texas Pan American 0-2
Rice 2-0; National ranking #29
Order of finish: Doubles (1,2,3); Singles (1,3,2,6,4,5