Nov. 22, 2013
Rice Owls (3-2, 0-0 C-USA) at No. 21 Michigan State (3-1, 0-0 Big 10)
Game 6 • Saturday, November 23, 2013 • 6:30 p.m. (CT)
East Lansing, Michigan • Breslin Center (14,759)
Audio: RiceOwls.com • TV: None • Stream: http://www.msuspartans.com/allaccess/
Series Record: Michigan St. leads, 1-0
Last Meeting: Michigan St. won, 84-59 (12-18-87)
Owls Flock North To Play No. 21 Spartans
Following a 77-64 home victory over Southern on Thursday, the Rice Owls women’s basketball team travels to East Lansing for a date against No. 21 Michigan State on Saturday. The Owls improved to 3-2 on the season with all three victories coming against members of the SWAC while Michigan St. carries in a 3-1 record, with their lone loss coming to Notre Dame in the season opener.
Briefly On The Owls
• Senior Jessica Kuster is coming off her second career 20/20 performance (26 points, 21 rebounds). The 20-20 game was the second of Kuster’s career and she tied her single-game career-high in rebounds (the 2nd most in a single-game in Rice history). The San Antonio, Texas native is now just eight points away from tying Pennie Goff (1,564 points, 1981-84) on the Owls all-time scoring list. The 26 points marked the eighth time in her career she scored 25 or more in a single-game, which is tied for the second most in Rice history.
Williams As a Shock assistant coach from 1998-2000, Williams helped lead the team to a 17-13 (.567) inaugural season record, which was the highest winning percentage by an expansion team in the history of the four major sports-(WNBA/NBA, NFL, MLB, NHL) to go along with a 1999 WNBA playoff berth. Two years later, Williams became the Shock’s head coach and director of player personnel. He was the first person to be a head coach in three different women’s professional leagues. Meanwhile, Cross played for Williams for the Shock from 2001-04
• The Owls shot a sizzling 50.9 percent from the field in the win over Southern, marking the first time Rice shot over 50 percent or better in a game since in a victory at Memphis in 2011, shooting 50.3 percent.
• Junior Reem Moussa scored in double-figures for the second time this season on Thursday, tying her career-high set earlier this season with 13 points on 4-of-6 shooting from the field and 5-of-6 at the free throw line.
• Kuster, who was named to the 2013-14 C-USA Preseason Team, was named the C-USA Player of the Week on Nov. 11 following a 33-point, 15-rebound performance versus Prairie View A&M in the season opener.
• Kuster is one of only two seniors in America that averaged a double-double in their first three seasons, joining Middle Tennessee’s Ebony Rowe.
Rice vs. Michigan State
The Owls are 0-1 all-time against the Spartans, dropping their only meeting 84-59 back on Dec. 18, 1987. The Spartans have won three straight homes games after dropping the season opener at Notre Dame. MSU enters Saturday with four players averaging double-figures in points, led by freshman Tori Jankoska (16.8 ppg).
Rice is 39-18 since 2009-10 at Tudor Fieldhouse. The Owls were 13-3 at home in the calendar year of 2012 and 12-4 in the 2012-13 season, which included a seven-game winning streak early in the year. The Owls are currently on a modest four-game home win streak dating back to last season.
Putting Points On The Board
The 77 points by the Owls surpassed the Owls 2012-13 season-high 76 points and was tied for the most points by an Owls teams since they scored 77 points in a 77-50 win at Chicago State on Nov.18, 2011.
The Gang’s All Here
Rice returns four starters and 10-of-12 letterwinners from last season’s team. The Owls bring back 87 percent of scoring and 90 percent of rebounding from a year ago with the departure of seniors Jessica Goswitz and Zoe Rogers.
Owls Host Sam Houston St. Tuesday at Tudor...
11/28/2016 - Rice (3-2) returns home to host Sam Houston St. (0-6) Tuesday evening at 7 p.m. in the Owls third home contest of the non-conference season.
Owls Fall Short at Oklahoma St., 65-51
11/26/2016 - The Rice Owls women’s basketball team stood tough on the road but a second half surge by the Oklahoma State Cowgirls proved too much to...
Women's Basketball Faces Oklahoma St. Saturday ...
11/25/2016 - Off to their best start (3-1) since the 2008-09 season, the Rice Owls will face the challenge of snapping the Oklahoma State Cowgirls 52-game, non-...
Defense Shines in 64-50 Win Over Grand Canyon
11/22/2016 - The Rice Owls women’s basketball team improved to 3-1 to start the season with a 64-50 home victory over Grand Canyon at Tudor Fieldhouse...
Owls Clash with Grand Canyon Tuesday at Tudor...
11/21/2016 - After starting the non-conference season 2-1, the Owls return home Tuesday to the friendly confines of Tudor Fieldhouse to host the Grand Canyon...
Women's Basketball Defeats HBU, 79-53
11/19/2016 - The Rice Owls women’s basketball team led from start to finish in a convincing 79-53 victory at Houston Baptist Saturday afternoon at Sharp Gym.
Women's Basketball Faces Crosstown HBU on Saturday
11/19/2016 - The Owls return to the city of Houston to travel across down and play the Houston Baptist Huskies Saturday afternoon in the first meeting between...
Rainey Scores 21 in Loss at LSU
11/16/2016 - Three Owls scored in double-figures, led by a game-high 21 points from junior guard Shani Rainey, but a late Rice rally fell short in a 66-55 loss ...
- Top Videos /
- Online Store