Nov. 17, 2013
Rice Owls (2-1, 0-0 C-USA) at No. 9/9 Baylor Lady Bears (2-0, 0-0 Big 12)
Game 4 • Monday, November 18, 2013 • 7 p.m.
Waco, Texas • Ferrell Center (10,284)
Audio: RiceOwls.com • TV: Fox Sports Southwest Plus • Stream: baylorbears.com
Series Record: Baylor leads, 19-17
Last Meeting: Rice lost, 89-49 (11-27-12) at Tudor Fieldhouse
Owls Look To Play Spoiler
The Rice Owls travel to Waco on Monday for a date with the ninth-ranked Baylor Lady Bears, who will put the nation’s-best and school-record 59-game home win streak on the line. The game will be a pairing of two of the best scoring senior’s in the nation in Baylor’s Odyssey Sims (25.5 ppg) and Rice’s Jessica Kuster (20.7 ppg).
Monday’s game will be televised on Fox Sports Southwest Plus with John Morris and Jim Haller on the call.
Briefly On The Owls
• Senior forward Jessica Kuster, who was named to the 2013-14 C-USA Preseason Team, was named the C-USA Player of the Week on Monday following her 33-point, 15-rebound performance versus Prairie View A&M in the season opener.
• Kuster, the 2012-13 C-USA Defensive Player of the Year, moved into sixth place on Rice’s all-time scoring list last Friday and will next look to pass Pennie Goff (1,564 points, 1981-84) for fifth all-time. Kuster needs just 336 points to become the Owls all-time leading scorer. Kuster also moved into second place in Rice history in career rebounds (1,003), surpassing Goya Qualls (1979-82). Kuster became just the eighth player in C-USA history to amass 1,000-plus rebounds. She needs just 169 more to pass Lauren Neaves all-time school mark.
• Kuster is one of only two seniors in America that averaged a double-double in their first three seasons, joining Middle Tennessee’s Ebony Rowe.
• Kuster scored 18 points and grabbed a game-high 13 rebounds in Rice’s 89-49 loss at home versus Baylor.
• Junior Christal Porter is averaging a career-high 10 rebounds per contest.
Rice vs. Baylor
Baylor holds a 19-17 all-time advantage against the Owls, which includes an 89-49 win over the Owls last season in Houston when Britney Griner scored 35 points. The Owls are 8-10 all-time in Waco and 0-6 against Baylor in the Kim Mulkey era.
Rice is 39-18 since 2009-10 at Tudor Fieldhouse. The Owls were 13-3 at home in the calendar year of 2012 and 12-4 in the 2012-13 season, which included a seven-game winning streak early in the year. The Owls are currently on a modest four-game home win streak dating back to last season.
Putting Points On The Board
The 77 points by the Owls surpassed the Owls 2012-13 season-high 76 points and was tied for the most points by an Owls teams since they scored 77 points in a 77-50 win at Chicago State on Nov.18, 2011.
The Gang’s All Here
Rice returns four starters and 10-of-12 letterwinners from last season’s team. The Owls bring back 87 percent of scoring and 90 percent of rebounding from a year ago with the departure of seniors Jessica Goswitz and Zoe Rogers.
WBI Championship Preview: Owls to Host UNC-Gree...
03/24/2017 - The Rice Owls women’s basketball team (21-13) will play in the team’s first-ever postseason championship (outside of a conference...
Owls Advance to WBI Championship, Defeat Idaho ...
03/23/2017 - Senior guard Maya Hawkins led a potent Rice offensive attack as one of five Owls to score in double-figures in a thrilling 86-80 victory over Idaho...
Owls to Host Idaho in WBI Semifinals on Thursday
03/22/2017 - The Rice Owls women’s basketball team will look to earn a berth to a postseason championship for the first time in 10 years when they host...
Goodwine, Grigsby lead Owls to WBI Semifinals
03/19/2017 - The Rice Owls women’s basketball team reached the 20-win plateau for the first time since the 2004-05 season with a 73-63 victory over UT Rio...
Women's Basketball to Host UTRGV in WBI...
03/17/2017 - After recording their first postseason victory since 2006, the Rice Owls women’s basketball team returns to action on Sunday when they host...
Owls Advance to Quarterfinals of WBI
03/16/2017 - The Rice Owls women’s basketball team recorded the team’s first postseason victory since 2006 by defeating Lamar 73-72 in the first...
Owls to Host Lamar in Opening Round of WBI
03/13/2017 - The Rice women’s basketball team’s season continues as it has accepted an invitation to play in the eighth annual Women’s...
Owls Fall in Quarterfinals to No. 2 Middle...
03/09/2017 - The No. 10 seeded Rice Owls women’s basketball team battled No. 2 seed Middle Tennessee down to the final second in Thursday’s...
- Top Videos /
- Online Store