Nov. 17, 2013
Rice Owls (2-1, 0-0 C-USA) at No. 9/9 Baylor Lady Bears (2-0, 0-0 Big 12)
Game 4 • Monday, November 18, 2013 • 7 p.m.
Waco, Texas • Ferrell Center (10,284)
Audio: RiceOwls.com • TV: Fox Sports Southwest Plus • Stream: baylorbears.com
Series Record: Baylor leads, 19-17
Last Meeting: Rice lost, 89-49 (11-27-12) at Tudor Fieldhouse
Owls Look To Play Spoiler
The Rice Owls travel to Waco on Monday for a date with the ninth-ranked Baylor Lady Bears, who will put the nation’s-best and school-record 59-game home win streak on the line. The game will be a pairing of two of the best scoring senior’s in the nation in Baylor’s Odyssey Sims (25.5 ppg) and Rice’s Jessica Kuster (20.7 ppg).
Monday’s game will be televised on Fox Sports Southwest Plus with John Morris and Jim Haller on the call.
Briefly On The Owls
• Senior forward Jessica Kuster, who was named to the 2013-14 C-USA Preseason Team, was named the C-USA Player of the Week on Monday following her 33-point, 15-rebound performance versus Prairie View A&M in the season opener.
• Kuster, the 2012-13 C-USA Defensive Player of the Year, moved into sixth place on Rice’s all-time scoring list last Friday and will next look to pass Pennie Goff (1,564 points, 1981-84) for fifth all-time. Kuster needs just 336 points to become the Owls all-time leading scorer. Kuster also moved into second place in Rice history in career rebounds (1,003), surpassing Goya Qualls (1979-82). Kuster became just the eighth player in C-USA history to amass 1,000-plus rebounds. She needs just 169 more to pass Lauren Neaves all-time school mark.
• Kuster is one of only two seniors in America that averaged a double-double in their first three seasons, joining Middle Tennessee’s Ebony Rowe.
• Kuster scored 18 points and grabbed a game-high 13 rebounds in Rice’s 89-49 loss at home versus Baylor.
• Junior Christal Porter is averaging a career-high 10 rebounds per contest.
Rice vs. Baylor
Baylor holds a 19-17 all-time advantage against the Owls, which includes an 89-49 win over the Owls last season in Houston when Britney Griner scored 35 points. The Owls are 8-10 all-time in Waco and 0-6 against Baylor in the Kim Mulkey era.
Rice is 39-18 since 2009-10 at Tudor Fieldhouse. The Owls were 13-3 at home in the calendar year of 2012 and 12-4 in the 2012-13 season, which included a seven-game winning streak early in the year. The Owls are currently on a modest four-game home win streak dating back to last season.
Putting Points On The Board
The 77 points by the Owls surpassed the Owls 2012-13 season-high 76 points and was tied for the most points by an Owls teams since they scored 77 points in a 77-50 win at Chicago State on Nov.18, 2011.
The Gang’s All Here
Rice returns four starters and 10-of-12 letterwinners from last season’s team. The Owls bring back 87 percent of scoring and 90 percent of rebounding from a year ago with the departure of seniors Jessica Goswitz and Zoe Rogers.
Owls Fall to Longhorns in Home Opener
11/21/2015 - Rice sophomore Shani Rainey scored a game-high 20 points but a second half surge from the No. 8/11 Texas Longhorns proved to be too much to...
Owls Host No. 8/11 Longhorns in Home Opener...
11/20/2015 - For the first time since 2012, the Owls will be hosting a Top-25 opponent at Tudor Fieldhouse when they welcome in the No. 8/11 Texas Longhorns...
Islanders Rally Past Owls Late
11/18/2015 - Shay Weaver’s three-pointer with 20 seconds remaining in the fourth quarter proved to be the game-winner in Texas A&M-Corpus Christi’s ...
Owls Travel South to Face Islanders
11/17/2015 - Following a 72-39 loss at No. 17 Kentucky, the Rice Owls travel to Corpus Christi for a Wednesday showdown against the Islanders (0-2) beginning at...
Kentucky Tops Rice In Season-Opener
11/13/2015 - No. 17 ranked Kentucky claimed a 72-39 win over the visiting Rice women’s basketball team before a vocal Wildcat crowd of 4,907 in the season...
Women's Basketball Tips Off Season at No....
11/12/2015 - Rice opens a new era of women’s basketball on Nov. 13 as head coach Tina Langley leads the Owls into the season opener at No. 18/17 Kentucky.
Rice Women’s Basketball Welcomes Bennett,...
11/11/2015 - Rice women’s basketball head coach Tina Langley announced the signing of two student-athletes to National Letters of Intent on Wednesday.
Basketball Single-Game Tickets Now On Sale
11/05/2015 - With the home opener less than three weeks away, Rice University women’s basketball single-game tickets are now on sale at RiceOwls.com and...
- Top Videos /
- Online Store