July 13, 2009
Rice's All-American pole vaulter Jason Colwick is spending his summer vacation competing in Europe, and in his first-ever international competition he set a meet record. On Sunday (July 12) in Rottach, Germany, Colwick won the Rottacher Springer-Meeting with a mark of 5.72m/18-9.25, which also ties his all-time best mark.
Colwick is accompanied on the trip with Rice assistant track and field pole vault coach David Butler. He will compete at Karlsruhe, Germany, on Wednesday (July 15) and at Jockgrim, Germany, on Tuesday (July 21).
Beside it being Colwick's first-ever international competition it was also the first time that he has ever been to Europe. The San Marcos, Texas, native will be a senior on head coach Jon Warren's Rice Owls track and field squad next season.
1. Jason Colwick (USA) 5,72m
2. Björn Otto (LAV Bayer Uerdingen/Dormagen) 5,67m
3. Fabian Schulze (LAZ Salamander Kornwestheim/Ludwigsburg) 5,62m
4. Tim Lobinger (LG Stadtwerke München) 5,57m
5. Jeremy Scott (USA) 5,52m
6. Giuseppe Gibilisco (ITA) 5,52m
7. Richard Spiegelburg (TSV Bayer 04 Leverkusen) 5,37m
8. Michel Frauen (TSV Bayer 04 Leverkusen) 5,37m
9. Nico Dieckmann (LG Nord Berlin) 5,22m
10. Lars Börgeling (TSV Bayer 04 Leverkusen) 5,22m
11. Thorsten Müller (LAZ Salamander Kornwestheim/Ludwigsburg) 5,02m
12. Leo Lohre (TSV Eltingen) 5,02m