March 10, 2010
The Rice Owls battled North Carolina's potent singles lineup to a draw, but the 51st ranked Owls could not overcome the loss of the doubles point as the 30th ranked Tar Heels took a 4-3 decision at Jake Hess Tennis Stadium on Wednesday.
After the teams split the first two doubles matches, the point that decided the overall match went to the Tar Heels when . Brennan Boyajian and Ryan Noble battled back from a 6-5 deficit to take an 8-6 decision over Isamu Tachibana and Bruno Rosa.
North Carolina fielded a lineup that included five ranked singles players, and a pair of Owls posted wins over ranked opponents. Tachibana downed Ryan Noble, ranked 107th in the latest ITA rankings, in straight sets (7-5, 6-4), while Sam Garforth-Bles came back from a loss in the opening set to defeat 97th ranked Brennan Boyajian, 2-6, 6-4, 11-9. Rice picked up its final point when Christian Saravia won in straight sets at No. 6 over Andrew Crone (6-2, 6-2).
The match against North Carolina is the first of three this week for the Owls against teams in the top 30. They will host 19th ranked Florida State at 1 pm on Friday and then welcome 10th ranked California to Jake Hess at 11 am on Sunday.
#30 North Carolina 4, #51 Rice 3
1. #49 Clay Donato (UNC) def. #25 Bruno Rosa (RICE) 6-1, 6-0
2. #68 Jose Hernandez (UNC) def. Oscar Podlewski (RICE) 6-1, 6-3
3. #103 Stefan Hardy (UNC) def. Michael Nuesslein (RICE) 6-3, 6-4
4. Sam Garforth-Bles (RICE) def. #97 Brennan Boyajian (UNC) 2-6, 6-4, 1-0 (11-9)
5. Isamu Tachibana (RICE) def. #107 Ryan Noble (UNC) 7-5, 6-4
6. Christian Saravia (RICE) def. Andrew Crone (UNC) 6-2, 6-2
1. Clay Donato/Stefan Hardy (UNC) def. #51 Michael Nuesslein/Christian Saravia (RICE) 8-5
2. Brennan Boyajian/Ryan Noble (UNC) def. Bruno Rosa/Isamu Tachibana (RICE) 8-6
3. Dennis Polyakov/Oscar Podlewski (RICE) def. Andrew Crone/Cameron Ahari (UNC) 8-3
Order of finish: Doubles (1,3,2); Singles (2,1,4,3,5,6)