Oct. 20, 2013
Senior Philipp Seifert and a pair of Rice doubles entries will be back in action on Sunday after advancing with wins during the opening day of competition at the USTA-ITA Texas Men's Tennis Regional being held at the Hurd Tennis Center on the campus of Baylor University in Waco, Texas.
Seifert earned a bye in the morning round of 128 and then advanced to the round of 32 with a straight set win over Lamar's Steven McMullan, 6-2; 6-3. Seifert will be on the court Sunday morning to take on SMU's Arturs Kazijevs, the fifth seed in the singles competition, at 11:15 a.m.
Before Seifert takes to the court, the Owls will send a pair of doubles teams to face Texas A&M's top two tandems to open the second day of completion.
Leif Berger and Gustavo Gonzalez will face the top-seeded Texas A&M pairing of Junior Ore and Jackson Withrow. Berger and Gonzalez earned the tough assignment by defeating Carlos Arbiza and Marek Pesicka of UTA 8-5 on Saturday afternoon after earning a first-round bye. Tommy Bennett and Adam Gustafsson also remain alive in doubles, after their 8-3 win over Kevin Bettendroffer/Ricardo Mayagoita of Texas A&M Corpus Christi. They will face off against the second seeds, Harrison Adams and Shane Vinsant or Texas A&M on Sunday morning.
Rice's only other remaining entry is freshmen singles player David Warren, who advance to the second round of the consolation bracket by a walkover after Mischa Nowicki of UTA withdrew.
Three Owls won their opening matches in the round of 128 only to see them lose in the second round.
Shrikar Alla defeated Tito Moreiras of Texas A&M 6-4, 6-0 in the opener, but lost to Lloyd Glasspool of Texas 7-5, 6-1. Max Andrews bounced Daniel Echeverry of UTA, 6-3; 6-0 but dropped a 6-1; 7-6(3) verdict to Vincent Schneider of Baylor. Tommy Bennett raced past Hudson Blake of TCU, 6-2, 6-0, but then lost to George Goldhoff of Texas, 6-4; 6-2.
Full Rice Results:
(128) David Warren lost to Mauricio Fosado , UTPA , 1-6; 6-2; 7-6(5)
(128) Maxwell Andrews defeated Daniel Echeverry,UTA, 6-3; 6-0
(128) Gustavo Gonzalez lost Julio Olaya, SMU, 5-7; 6-2; 7-5
(128) Tommy Bennett defeated Hudson Blake, TCU, 6-2, 6-0
(128) Srikar Alla defeated Tito Moreiras Texas A&M 6-4; 6-0
(128) Leif Berger lost to Javier Pujol, A&M Corpus Christi,6-4; 6-2
(64) Tommy Bennett defeats George Goldhoff, Texas,6-4; 6-2
(9) George Goldhoff (64) Adam Gustafsson lost to Nick Naumann, Texas, 6-3; 6-3
(64) Zachary Yablon lost to Diogo Casa ,UTSA , 6-4; 6-4
(64) Maxwell Andrews lost to Vincent Schneider, Baylor, 6-1; 7-6(3)
(64) Srikar Alla lost to Lloyd Glasspool,Texas, 7-5, 6-1
(64) Philipp Seifert defeated Steven McMullan, Lamar 6-2; 6-3
R1 David Warren d. Mischa Nowicki UTA, Wo (inj)
(64) Warren/Yablon Crysel/Lindquist 8-1
(32) Warren/Yablon lost to Nate Lammons and Alex Sanders SMU 8-4
(64) Shrikar Alla/Max Andrews defeat Cortes/Gesser ACU 8-1
(32) Shrikar Alla/Max Andrews lost toDiego Galeano and Mate Zsiga, Baylor, 8-2
(32)Berger and Gonzalez defeated Carlos Arbiza and Marek Pesicka UTA 8-5
(32 ) Bennett/Gustafsson defeated. Bettendroffer/Mayagoita 8-3
Surging Owls Take Top Seed into Matchup with...
04/17/2015 - The Rice men's tennis team will look to return to the C-USA title match for the first time since 2011 when they face off against Charlotte in the...
SMU Rallies to Down Owls
04/12/2015 - David Warren picked up a pair of wins, but the Rice men's tennis team could not maintain its early momentum and saw 44th ranked SMU close out the...
Aggies Deflect Early Owls Charge
04/01/2015 - Max Andrews and David Warren downed the 13th ranked doubles team in the country, but No. 8 Texas A&M held off the remaining challenges from the...
Owls Extend Invite Mastery
03/29/2015 - The Rice men's tennis team completed a standout week of tennis at the George R. Brown Tennis center by clinching the team title of the 57th Rice...
Saturday Sweep Runs Owls' Streak to Three
03/28/2015 - The Rice men's tennis team started fast and then rallied late to down George Washington and 40th ranked Texas A&M Corpus Christi on the first day...
Energized Owls Upset No. 19 Northwestern
03/25/2015 - The Rice men's tennis team upset No. 19 Northwestern at the George R. Brown Tennis Center on Wednesday night.
Owls Drop 4-2 Verdict at Tulane
03/22/2015 - The Rice men's tennis team started fast, but saw a reshuffled lineup unable to sustain the early momentum as Tulane took a 4-2 dual victory over...
Owls' Upset Hopes End With USD Rally
03/15/2015 - Filip Vittek of San Diego fought back from a 4-1 deficit in the decisive third set to thwart an upset bid by the Rice men's team and give the 31st ...
- Top Videos /
- Online Store