Oct. 20, 2013
Senior Philipp Seifert and a pair of Rice doubles entries will be back in action on Sunday after advancing with wins during the opening day of competition at the USTA-ITA Texas Men's Tennis Regional being held at the Hurd Tennis Center on the campus of Baylor University in Waco, Texas.
Seifert earned a bye in the morning round of 128 and then advanced to the round of 32 with a straight set win over Lamar's Steven McMullan, 6-2; 6-3. Seifert will be on the court Sunday morning to take on SMU's Arturs Kazijevs, the fifth seed in the singles competition, at 11:15 a.m.
Before Seifert takes to the court, the Owls will send a pair of doubles teams to face Texas A&M's top two tandems to open the second day of completion.
Leif Berger and Gustavo Gonzalez will face the top-seeded Texas A&M pairing of Junior Ore and Jackson Withrow. Berger and Gonzalez earned the tough assignment by defeating Carlos Arbiza and Marek Pesicka of UTA 8-5 on Saturday afternoon after earning a first-round bye. Tommy Bennett and Adam Gustafsson also remain alive in doubles, after their 8-3 win over Kevin Bettendroffer/Ricardo Mayagoita of Texas A&M Corpus Christi. They will face off against the second seeds, Harrison Adams and Shane Vinsant or Texas A&M on Sunday morning.
Rice's only other remaining entry is freshmen singles player David Warren, who advance to the second round of the consolation bracket by a walkover after Mischa Nowicki of UTA withdrew.
Three Owls won their opening matches in the round of 128 only to see them lose in the second round.
Shrikar Alla defeated Tito Moreiras of Texas A&M 6-4, 6-0 in the opener, but lost to Lloyd Glasspool of Texas 7-5, 6-1. Max Andrews bounced Daniel Echeverry of UTA, 6-3; 6-0 but dropped a 6-1; 7-6(3) verdict to Vincent Schneider of Baylor. Tommy Bennett raced past Hudson Blake of TCU, 6-2, 6-0, but then lost to George Goldhoff of Texas, 6-4; 6-2.
Full Rice Results:
(128) David Warren lost to Mauricio Fosado , UTPA , 1-6; 6-2; 7-6(5)
(128) Maxwell Andrews defeated Daniel Echeverry,UTA, 6-3; 6-0
(128) Gustavo Gonzalez lost Julio Olaya, SMU, 5-7; 6-2; 7-5
(128) Tommy Bennett defeated Hudson Blake, TCU, 6-2, 6-0
(128) Srikar Alla defeated Tito Moreiras Texas A&M 6-4; 6-0
(128) Leif Berger lost to Javier Pujol, A&M Corpus Christi,6-4; 6-2
(64) Tommy Bennett defeats George Goldhoff, Texas,6-4; 6-2
(9) George Goldhoff (64) Adam Gustafsson lost to Nick Naumann, Texas, 6-3; 6-3
(64) Zachary Yablon lost to Diogo Casa ,UTSA , 6-4; 6-4
(64) Maxwell Andrews lost to Vincent Schneider, Baylor, 6-1; 7-6(3)
(64) Srikar Alla lost to Lloyd Glasspool,Texas, 7-5, 6-1
(64) Philipp Seifert defeated Steven McMullan, Lamar 6-2; 6-3
R1 David Warren d. Mischa Nowicki UTA, Wo (inj)
(64) Warren/Yablon Crysel/Lindquist 8-1
(32) Warren/Yablon lost to Nate Lammons and Alex Sanders SMU 8-4
(64) Shrikar Alla/Max Andrews defeat Cortes/Gesser ACU 8-1
(32) Shrikar Alla/Max Andrews lost toDiego Galeano and Mate Zsiga, Baylor, 8-2
(32)Berger and Gonzalez defeated Carlos Arbiza and Marek Pesicka UTA 8-5
(32 ) Bennett/Gustafsson defeated. Bettendroffer/Mayagoita 8-3
Owls and Monarchs to Battle for Crown
04/23/2016 - The 26th ranked Rice men’s tennis are one match away from completing a journey that fell one match short a year ago as they advanced to their...
Owls Race Past Roadrunners in C-USA Opener
04/22/2016 - Tommy Bennett and David Warren picked up wins in singles and doubles to lead the 26th Rice Owls to a 4-0 win over UTSA in the opening round of the ...
Owls Ready for First Step
04/21/2016 - After a regular season filled with milestones, the 26th ranked Rice men’s tennis team hopes to add another this weekend by capturing their...
Bennett and Ip Named to C-USA All-Academic Team
04/19/2016 - Tommy Bennett and Katherine Ip, two juniors who have played major roles in the Rice men's and women's tennis nationally ranked efforts on the...
Owls Open C-USA Men’s Tennis Quest on Friday
04/18/2016 - The 26th ranked Rice men’s tennis team will begin its quest for the Owls first Conference USA Men’s Tennis title since 2010 when they...
Rice Fights off Tulane for Milestone Win
04/17/2016 - On a day set aside to honor its senior, a pair of Rice freshmen proved to be the difference as the 26th ranked Owls ground out a 4-3 win over No....
Owls Grind Out 19th Win
04/14/2016 - Facing a team with nothing to lose, the 26th ranked Rice men’s tennis team dug itself out of multiple holes by winning four tiebreaking sets ...
Warren Shares C-USA Weekly Award
04/12/2016 - Rice junior David Warren became the fifth member of the Rice men’s tennis team to be honored by Conference USA for his performance as he was ...
- Top Videos /
- Online Store