by Chuck Pool (firstname.lastname@example.org) -
The Rice men's tennis team opened its first road trip of the 2018 dual season by dropping a 6-1 decision to Minnesota in Hanover, New Hampshire on Saturday afternoon.
Meeting for the first time since 2007, the Owls and Gophers saw the first point of the afternoon come down to a tiebreaker set on court one in doubles. Minnesota prevailed 7-4 to take the early advantage and then took control with early singles wins on courts three and six.
Eric Rutledge, who earned C-USA Men's Tennis Athlete of the Week honors earlier this week, remained unbeaten in 2018 in singles, defeating the Gophers Felix Corwin, 5-7, 6-4, 10-6. Rutledge is now 6-0 in singles this year, including 5-0 mark playing at the first position in the lineup.
Rice (3-3) will be back in action on Sunday morning when they take on Dartmouth (7-0) at 9 a.m. (central). Video from the match will be available through the Ivy League Network with a one-day subscription of $9.95. http://www.ivyleaguenetwork.com/packages#
Tennis Match Results
Minnesota vs Rice
2/10/2018 at Hanover, NH
(Boss Tennis Center)
Minnesota 6, Rice 1
1. Eric Rutledge (RICEM) def. Felix Corwin (MINN) 5-7, 6-4, 10-6
2. Stefan Milicevic (MINN) def. Sumit Sarkar (RICEM) 6-4, 7-5
3. Matic Spec (MINN) def. Mohamed Abdel-Aziz (RICEM) 6-1, 6-0
4. Eli Ogilvy (MINN) def. Jacob Eskeland (RICEM) 6-3, 7-5
5. Jackson Allen (MINN) def. Conrad Russell (RICEM) 2-6, 6-1, 6-3
6. Josip Krstanovic (MINN) def. Austin Moninger (RICEM) 6-1, 6-0
1. Felix Corwin/Matic Spec (MINN) def. Sumit Sarkar/Eric Rutledge (RICEM) 7-6 (7-4)
2. Conrad Russell/Jacob Eskeland (RICEM) def. Eli Ogilvy/Jackson Allen (MINN) 6-2
3. Josip Krstanovic/Justyn Levin (MINN) def. Mohamed Abdel-Aziz/Jared Aiman (RICEM) 6-0
Order of finish: Doubles (3,2,1); Singles (3,6,2,4,5)