Oct. 10, 2012
Comcast SportsNet, a partnership between the Houston Astros, Houston Rockets and the NBC Sports Group, today announced that the network has come to an agreement with IMG College, the multi-media rights partner of Rice University, to air sports programming for each school. Under terms of the agreement, Comcast SportsNet Houston will air Rice Athletics programming for the next three years.
The agreement calls for weekly coaches' shows during football and basketball seasons, weekly football press conferences, spring and fall sports specials, a spring football game special and additional programming on the newly-launched network.
"This is an exciting opportunity for Rice Athletics to expand our message to the great sports fans of this area," Rice Director of Athletics Rick Greenspan said. "IMG Sports Marketing was very aggressive in pursuing this opportunity and Comcast has delivered on their goals of creating a channel that is dedicated to covering sports in Houston. I know our fans and our student-athletes are going to be thrilled with the results."
"Rice Owls Football Central" with head coach David Bailiff airs Tuesdays at 3:30 p.m. while "Owls Insider" will be shown each Thursday at 4 p.m.
Following the conclusion of football season, the "Rice Basketball Coaches' Show," featuring men's head coach Ben Braun and women's head coach Greg Williams, makes its debut the week of Jan. 7 and runs for 10 weeks through the end of the regular season.
Wayne Graham's Rice baseball team will start the 2013 season off in style with the first Rice Baseball preseason show, which debuts in early February.
Comcast SportsNet Houston will also air a season preview for both the Rice men's and women's basketball programs during the first part of November, plus a NCAA Tournament Preview show should the teams qualify for the NCAA Tournament.
Comcast SportsNet Houston will air a fall sports recap special in mid-December and a spring sports recap special in mid-May, as well as spring football games in mid-April.
IMG College/Rice University/Comcast SportsNet Programming Overview:
- "Rice Owls Football Central" airs at 3:30 p.m. on Tuesdays
- The "Rice Basketball Coaches' Show," debuts the week of Jan. 7
- The Rice Baseball preseason show debuts in early February
- Basketball Preview and Postseason Shows
- Fall recap specials debut in mid-December
- Spring recap specials debut in mid-May
- Bowl and Tournament Specials
Comcast SportsNet Houston is being made available in both standard and high definition to all local cable, satellite and telco TV providers and today is carried by:
- Coastal Link (channels 31/131 in Brazoria County, Texas).
- Comcast Cable (channels 39/639 in the Houston area; 86/1688 in Houma, La Place, Monroe and Shreveport, Lou.; 269/1687 in Little Rock, Ark.).
- Consolidated Communications (channels 42/723 in the Houston area).
- EnTouch (channels 73/473 in the Houston area).
- Phonoscope (channels 35/293 in the Houston area).
Fans with other TV services should visit IWantCSNHouston.com for the latest distribution developments and to tell their cable, satellite or telco TV provider to add Comcast SportsNet to their channel lineup. Follow Comcast SportsNet Houston on Twitter: @CSNHouston for the latest news and information about the network.