Get Tickets | Watch Live | Listen Live | Gametracker | Game Notes
HOUSTON — Rice closes non-conference play this Tuesday, Dec. 29, when it hosts in-state foe Incarnate Word. Tip-off is scheduled for 7 p.m. CT.
• This is the first-ever meeting between Rice Incarnate Word.
• Rice enters today’s game with a 5-7 record. The Owls had their three-game winning streak snapped last Tuesday when they fell, 74-67, at South Alabama.
• Freshman Marcus Evans leads Conference USA in scoring, averaging 19.9 per game. He also leads with 2.2 steals and 33.7 minutes played.
• Redshirt sophomore Egor Koulechov is second in the conference in scoring, averaging 19.0 points while leading the team with 6.6 rebounds. He is second in the league in three-pointers made (3.0), is tied for seventh in free throw percentage (.800) and 10th in three-point field goal percentage (.404).
• Freshman Marquez Letcher-Ellis is third on the team with 8.9 points and second with 5.2 rebounds. He is tied for fourth in C-USA with 1.5 blocks.
• Senior Max Guercy is averaging 6.6 points. He leads the league in assists per game (5.7) and is second in free throw percentage (.870).
• Rice is averaging 74.7 points per game while allowing 79.9.
• The Owls are connecting on 43.5% from the field and 31.1% from the three-point line while allowing 47.6% from the field and 40.7% from beyond the arc.
Scouting Incarnate Word
• Incarnate Word enters the game with a 4-6 record. The Cardinals have lost four of their last five games after falling at LIU-Brooklyn, 66-59, last Tuesday.
• UIW is led by sophomore guard Jontelle Walker with 15.9 points, which is fourth in the Southland Conference. He also leads the league in free throw percentage, connecting on 95.3% from the line and is seventh in three-pointers per game (2.2).
• Senior forward Kyle Hittle is 10th in the Southland with 14.2 points.
• Sophomore guard Shawn Johnson is averaging 8.6 points per game. He is fourth in the conference with 7.2 rebounds.
• Incarnate Word is averaging 75.2 points per game while allowing 74.0.
• The Cardinals are connecting on 41.6% from the field and 34.0% from the three-point line while allowing 46.0% from the field and 37.2% from beyond the arc.
• UIW leads the Southland Conference with 8.0 three-pointers per game and 10.3 steals per game.
• Ken Burmeister is in his 10th season at the helm of the Incarnate Word basketball program, where he has a 164-91 (.643) record. In 18 years as a head coach, he is 292-214 (.577).
Rice vs. the Southland Conference
• When the Owls face Houston Baptist, it will be their 122nd meeting against current teams from the Southland Conference.
• Rice has had plenty of success, holding an 84-37 record against current members of the Southland.
• Head coach Mike Rhoades is 1-3 when facing the Southland Conference.
• This is the third meeting against the Southland Conference this year. The Owls defeated Lamar on Nov. 25 and fell at Houston Baptist on Dec. 2.
• Rice begins conference play on Friday, Jan. 1, when it travels to El Paso to take on UTEP. Tip-off is scheduled for 8:05 p.m. CT and will be televised by ASN.