Guercy's Buzzer-Beater Caps Triple Overtime Thriller
It took every last second of regulation and three overtime periods to decide the game, but Max Guercy's three-pointer at the final buzzer finished off a 96-93 win for Rice University men's basketball over South Alabama on Saturday evening at Tudor Fieldhouse.
HOUSTON— Rice goes on the road for the final time in non-conference play this Tuesday, Dec. 22, when it travels to Mobile, Ala., to face South Alabama. Tip-off is scheduled for 7:05 p.m. CT.
• Rice and South Alabama will meet for just the fourth time and the first since 2013.
• The Owls hold a 2-1 advantage in the series, including having won the last two.
• South Alabama won the only meeting in Mobile in the 1975 Senior Bowl Tournament.
• Rice enters today’s game with a 5-6 record. The Owls are looking for their fourth straight win after defeating New Mexico, 90-89, Saturday night.
• Freshman Marcus Evans leads Conference USA in scoring, averaging 19.7 per game, and is tied for the lead in steals (2.1). He is also second in minutes played (33.4).
• Redshirt sophomore Egor Koulechov is second in the conference in scoring, averaging 19.0 points while leading the team with 6.4 rebounds. He is second in the league in three-pointers made (3.1), is sixth in three-point field goal percentage (.425) and tied 10th in free throw percentage (.787).
• Freshman Marquez Letcher-Ellis is third on the team with 9.1 points and second with 5.2 rebounds. He is connecting on 50.8% from the field and is tied for seventh in C-USA with 1.45 blocks.
• Senior Max Guercy is averaging 7.0 points. He is second in the league in assists per game (5.6) and free throw percentage (.870).
• Rice is averaging 75.4 points per game while allowing 80.5.
• The Owls are connecting on 43.9% from the field and 31.2% from the three-point line while allowing 47.1% from the field and 40.3% from beyond the arc.
• Rice is third in Conference USA in free throw percentage, connecting on 71.3% from the charity stripe.
Scouting South Alabama
• South Alabama enters the game with a 4-6 record. The Jaguars snapped a two-game losing streak on Friday, defeating Samford, 72-70, in double overtime.
• USA is led by junior guard Ken Williams with 15.4 points, which is seventh in the Sun Belt Conference. He is tied for sixth in three-point field goals (2.0), tied for seventh in free throw percentage (.844) and tied for ninth in assists (3.0).
• Junior forward Nick Stover is second on the team with 9.5 points.
• Junior forward Georgi Boyanov is averaging 9.0 points per game. He leads the league in field goal percentage (.585) and is eighth in rebounding (6.9).
• South Alabama is averaging 70.3 points per game while allowing 71.4.
• USA is connecting on 40.2% from the field and 30.5% from the three-point line while allowing 44.7% from the field and 33.7% from beyond the arc.
• Matthew Graves is in his third season at the helm of the South Alabama basketball program, where he has a 27-47 (.365) record.
Rice vs. the Sun Belt Conference
• When the Owls face South Alabama, it will be their 39th meeting against current teams from the Sun Belt Conference.
• Rice has had success, holding a 22-16 record against current members of the Sun Belt.
• Head coach Mike Rhoades is 0-1 against the Sun Belt Conference.
• This is the second of two meetings this year against the Sun Belt. Rice fell to UT Arlington, 92-74, on Nov. 29.
• Rice closes its non-conference schedule next Tuesday, Dec. 29, when it hosts in-state foe Incarnate Word. Tip-off is scheduled for 7 p.m. CT.