By: Tim Andrzejewski (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Game Notes | CUSA.tv | Live Listen | Gametracker | Buy Tickets
HOUSTON — Rice begins a two-game homestand this Monday, Dec. 19, when it hosts Northwestern State. Tip-off is set for 7 p.m. CT and will be live-streamed on CUSA.tv.
• Rice enters Monday night’s game with an 8-3 record. The Owls are coming off an 83-73 defeat at Pitt on Saturday night.
• Sophomore guard and Preseason All-Conference USA member Marcus Evans is third in the conference in scoring, averaging 19.5 points per game. He is also fifth in the league in assists (4.9).
• Redshirt junior guard/forward Egor Koulechov is averaging 18.8 points, good for fifth-place in C-USA. He leads the league and is third in the country (as of Dec. 17) in three-point field goal percentage (.580). The Volgograd, Russia native is also fifth in three-pointers made per game (2.6), sixth in free throw percentage (.870) and seventh in rebounding (7.4) and field goal percentage (.548).
• Redshirt junior guard Marcus Jackson is averaging 13.4 points, 3.3 assists and 3.3 rebounds. He is fourth in the league in assist-to-turnover ratio (2.3) and seventh in free throw percentage (.854).
• Sophomore guard Connor Cashaw is averaging 8.2 points and 4.0 rebounds.
• The Owls are second in Conference USA in scoring, averaging 83.8 points per game while allowing 74.1.
• Rice is second in the league in field goal percentage (48.9%) and leads C-USA in three-point field goal percentage (39.2%). Rice is allowing 42.9% from the floor and 35.5% from three.
• The Owls are also second in the league with 9.3 three-pointers made per game.
• Head coach Mike Rhoades is in his third season at the helm of the Rice basketball program. He owns a 32-43 (.427) record on South Main and a 229-119 (.658) record in 12 years as a head coach.
Scouting Northwestern State
• Northwestern State enters Monday night’s contest with a 5-4 record. The Demons have won three straight games after defeating Louisiana-Monroe, 68-64, Saturday afternoon.
• Senior guard Zeke Woodley is second in the Southland Conference in scoring, averaging 18.1 points. He is also sixth in the league in free throw percentage (88.0%) and seventh in three-pointers made per game (2.1) while leading the team in field goal percentage (50.9%).
• Sophomore center/forward Ishmael Lane is second on the team in both points (10.9) and rebounds (6.0).
• Junior guard Devonte Hall is scoring 7.1 points while leading the league in both assists (5.3) and assist-to-turnover ratio (3.5).
• Senior guard Tra’von Joseph is scoring 6.9 points and is eighth in the Southland in rebounding (7.4).
• Northwestern State is scoring 70.3 points per game while allowing 75.4.
• The Demons are connecting on just 41.3% from the field and 35.2% from three while allowing 46.8% from the floor and 35.5% from beyond the arc.
• NSU is pulling down 38.8 rebounds per game while allowing 36.6.
• Head coach Mike McConathy is in his 18th season at the helm of the Northwestern State men’s basketball program where he owns a 272-263 (.508) record. In 34 years as a head coach, McConathy is 624-423 (.596).
• Rice and Northwestern State will meet for the sixth time but the first since 1999.
• Rice has won the previous five meetings which all took place at Tudor Fieldhouse.
• The previous five meetings were decided by a total of 21 points, an average winning margin of just 4.2 points.
• This is head coach Mike Rhoades’ first-ever meeting against Northwestern State.
• Rice closes its non-conference schedule this Wednesday, Dec. 21, when it hosts St. Thomas. Tip-off is scheduled for 7 p.m. CT and will be live-streamed on CUSA.tv.