Dec. 17, 2013
HOUSTON, Texas – Despite an unconventional 11:30 a.m. start time for a Thursday men’s basketball game against Northwood, Rice University’s Tudor Fieldhouse will be packed with roughly 4,000 students from more than 20 local elementary schools for the first-ever “School House Mania.” Limited tickets for the game remain at the Rice Athletics Ticket Office.
While the teams compete against each other for the first time on the hardwood, the students in attendance will have a fun and educational field trip, including workbooks and on-court promotions for the students. For a large portion of the schools, it won’t be the first interaction with Rice Basketball, as the players and coaching staff make regular visits to schools across Houston to promote healthy lifestyles and an anti-bullying message.
The Owls (4-5) return from a long break for final exams, having last played on Dec. 7 in a triple-overtime thriller against South Alabama. Rice prevailed in the 55-minute contest when Max Guercy sank a three-pointer at the buzzer to lift the home team, 96-93. The sophomore guard finished with 20 points and a career-best nine rebounds.
The game was also a chance for freshman Sean Obi to shine, as he racked up 25 points and 19 rebounds in the win, which matched the longest in program history.
Rice’s win over the Jaguars was the fourth in a row to be decided by four or fewer points, and seventh in nine games on the season to come down to the final possession in regulation.
• Thursday is the first meeting between Rice and Northwood.
• Northwood dropped an 85-76 decision to St. Thomas, which Rice faced in its season opener.
• The Knights have faced Conference USA newcomer North Texas earlier this season, a 72-67 setback in Denton. NT and St. Thomas will be the only common opponents for the teams this season as Northwood plays Sooner Athletic Conference opponents the remainder of the 2013-14 season.
Scouting the Knights (2-4)
• Northwood fell to 2-4 on the season after a 105-75 setback against Texas A&M-Commerce on Dec. 11.
• Everrett Pleasant leads the team with 19.8 points per game, including four 20-point performances in a row. The Houston native also hauls in 13.0 rebounds per game.
• Rice and Houston renew their rivalry as the teams square off in the Dickies Shootout at the downtown Toyota Center on Saturday.
• The game is set to tip off at 3:30 p.m. and will be broadcast on CSS and CSN Houston.
• It is part of a double-header, as Oklahoma and Texas A&M will play that evening.
Evans’ Layup Gives Rice 72-71 Overtime...
02/23/2017 - Marcus Evans’ layup with 1.9 seconds left gave Rice its first lead of overtime and the 72-71 victory over Southern Miss, Thursday night at...
Men’s Hoops Looks to Get Back to Its...
02/22/2017 - Rice looks to get back on track this Thursday, Feb. 23, when it hosts Southern Miss. Tip-off is set for 7 p.m. CT and will be live-streamed at CUSA...
Rice Scholar Athletes Honored
02/26/2017 - Rice Athletics and the R Association honored some of its best and brightest on Sunday evening as the 2017 Rice Scholar Athletes and Honor Athletes ...
Mike Rhoades Radio Show Continues Tonight from ...
02/20/2017 - The Mike Rhoades Radio Show continues tonight at 7 p.m. from the Gorgeous Gael Irish Bar (5555 Morningside Drive).
Shooting Woes Doom Rice in 79-71 Loss to UTEP
02/18/2017 - Egor Koulechov had 13 points and 11 rebounds for the Owls, but it would not be enough as Rice fell to UTEP by a score of 79-71 on Saturday night.
Men’s Hoops Looks to Keep Streak Going...
02/17/2017 - Rice looks to keep its winning streak alive this Saturday, Feb. 18, when it hosts UTEP. Tip-off is set for 7 p.m. CT and will be live-streamed at...
Late Spurt Gives Men's Basketball 80-68 Victory...
02/16/2017 - Rice closed the game on a 15-3 run over the final 4:24 to defeat UTSA, 80-68 and earn its fifth straight victory, Thursday night at Tudor Fieldhouse.
Men's Hoops Begins Final Homestand against UTSA
02/15/2017 - Rice begins its final homestand of the year this Thursday, Feb. 16, when it hosts UTSA. Tip-off is set for 6 p.m. CT and will be live-streamed at...
- Top Videos /
- Online Store