Dec. 6, 2013
HOUSTON, Texas - Rice University men's basketball returns home from a three-game road trip to host South Alabama on Saturday at Tudor Fieldhouse. Tipoff is set for 5 p.m. In honor of the new start time, here are five things to know for the game.
- Rice ranks second in Conference USA in three-pointers made (8.63 per game) and three-point accuracy (36.5 percent), trailing only East Carolina in both categories. Austin Ramljak moved into second in C-USA with 3.63 three-pointers made per game after sinking seven treys on Wednesday at Houston Baptist. Also in the league leaders, Sean Obi continues to pace C-USA in shooting percentage (68.5) and the freshman ranks sixth in rebounding (8.0 per game).
- Rice has played six games that have been decided by four points or less this season, including each of the last three. Rice is 2-4 in those games, with five of the six coming away from Tudor Fieldhouse. The only four-point game was an overtime setback against Rider, making all six games come down to one possession in regulation. On Wednesday night, Rice overcame a 10-point deficit at Houston Baptist, but the persistent Huskies put together a late run in the second half to secure a 73-71 win. Ramljak knocked down seven three-pointers en route to 23 points. Seth Gearhart led the Owls with seven rebounds and three blocks while Keith Washington continued his hot streak with a career-high 18 points.
- Rice is 1-1 against South Alabama. Four players scored in double figures for the Owls in the last meeting, a 71-69 Rice win on Nov. 14, 2009. Tamir Jackson tallied 18 points, while Connor Frizzelle added 17, Lawrence Ghoram chipped in 14 points and seven rebounds and Lucas Kuipers notched 11 points in the narrow victory. The teams found themselves tied at 65-65 with one minute remaining in that game before Trey Stanton converted a three-point play and Ghoram added three free throws to ice the home win over the Jaguars. South Alabama won the first meeting, 112-64, in the 1975 Senior Bowl Tournament in Mobile.
- The Jaguars are led by Augustine Rubit's 16.6 points and 10.0 rebounds per game. He is the team's only double-figure scorer. The team shoots 41.6 percent from the field while holding opponents to 38.2 percent. South Alabama is 0-2 on the road this season, with an 84-77 setback at Texas and a 65-55 loss at C-USA newcomer Middle Tennessee. The Jaguars' only home loss was to C-USA's Southern Miss, 66-59 on Nov. 22. For Rubit (Houston/Christian Life Center Academy) and Ken Williams (Manvel/Episcopal HS), Saturday's game will be a homecoming of sorts as each hails from nearby.
- Saturday's 5 p.m. game is the last chance to catch the Owls in action before final exams. Rice takes a 12-day break to wrap up the semester before closing out the home stand on Dec. 19 against Northwood. That game is set for an early 11:30 a.m. start in Tudor Fieldhouse.
Owls Hold Off South Alabama, 71-69
The Owls starting backcourt of Cliff Ghoram, Connor Frizzelle and Tamir Jackson combine for 49 points as Owls win second game of Rice Basketball Challenge
Men’s Basketball Earns NABC Team Academic...
07/29/2016 - For the fourth consecutive year, the Rice men’s basketball team earned the National Association of Basketball Coaches Team Academic Award,...
Marcus Jackson Named to NABC Honors Court
07/28/2016 - Rice junior basketball player Marcus Jackson was named to the NABC Honors Court, the organization announced.
Men’s Hoops Releases 2016-17 Schedule
07/13/2016 - 17 home games highlight the 2016-17 Rice Men’s Basketball schedule, announced Wednesday afternoon by Rice Head Coach Mike Rhoades.
Rice Earns C-USA Institutional Excellence Award
07/12/2016 - For the ninth time in the past 11 years, Rice University student-athletes earned the Conference USA Institutional Excellence Award in 2015-16 by...
Bonner Added to Men’s Basketball Staff
07/11/2016 - Rice head coach Mike Rhoades has announced the addition of Rhett Bonner to the coaching staff as Director of Operations. Bonner joins the Owls...
Brown Named Men's Basketball Strength Coach
06/30/2016 - Rice head coach Mike Rhoades has announced the addition of Donald Brown as the Men's Basketball Strength and Conditioning Coach.
Rodriguez Added to Men’s Basketball Staff
06/29/2016 - Rice head coach Mike Rhoades has announced the addition of Joey Rodriguez to the coaching staff as video coordinator. Rodriguez joins the Owls...
Max Guercy's Chinese Expedition
06/13/2016 - Max Guercy is spending a month in China playing in exhibition games against the CBA and Chinese National Team.
- Top Videos /
- Online Store