Dec. 6, 2013
HOUSTON, Texas - Rice University men's basketball returns home from a three-game road trip to host South Alabama on Saturday at Tudor Fieldhouse. Tipoff is set for 5 p.m. In honor of the new start time, here are five things to know for the game.
- Rice ranks second in Conference USA in three-pointers made (8.63 per game) and three-point accuracy (36.5 percent), trailing only East Carolina in both categories. Austin Ramljak moved into second in C-USA with 3.63 three-pointers made per game after sinking seven treys on Wednesday at Houston Baptist. Also in the league leaders, Sean Obi continues to pace C-USA in shooting percentage (68.5) and the freshman ranks sixth in rebounding (8.0 per game).
- Rice has played six games that have been decided by four points or less this season, including each of the last three. Rice is 2-4 in those games, with five of the six coming away from Tudor Fieldhouse. The only four-point game was an overtime setback against Rider, making all six games come down to one possession in regulation. On Wednesday night, Rice overcame a 10-point deficit at Houston Baptist, but the persistent Huskies put together a late run in the second half to secure a 73-71 win. Ramljak knocked down seven three-pointers en route to 23 points. Seth Gearhart led the Owls with seven rebounds and three blocks while Keith Washington continued his hot streak with a career-high 18 points.
- Rice is 1-1 against South Alabama. Four players scored in double figures for the Owls in the last meeting, a 71-69 Rice win on Nov. 14, 2009. Tamir Jackson tallied 18 points, while Connor Frizzelle added 17, Lawrence Ghoram chipped in 14 points and seven rebounds and Lucas Kuipers notched 11 points in the narrow victory. The teams found themselves tied at 65-65 with one minute remaining in that game before Trey Stanton converted a three-point play and Ghoram added three free throws to ice the home win over the Jaguars. South Alabama won the first meeting, 112-64, in the 1975 Senior Bowl Tournament in Mobile.
- The Jaguars are led by Augustine Rubit's 16.6 points and 10.0 rebounds per game. He is the team's only double-figure scorer. The team shoots 41.6 percent from the field while holding opponents to 38.2 percent. South Alabama is 0-2 on the road this season, with an 84-77 setback at Texas and a 65-55 loss at C-USA newcomer Middle Tennessee. The Jaguars' only home loss was to C-USA's Southern Miss, 66-59 on Nov. 22. For Rubit (Houston/Christian Life Center Academy) and Ken Williams (Manvel/Episcopal HS), Saturday's game will be a homecoming of sorts as each hails from nearby.
- Saturday's 5 p.m. game is the last chance to catch the Owls in action before final exams. Rice takes a 12-day break to wrap up the semester before closing out the home stand on Dec. 19 against Northwood. That game is set for an early 11:30 a.m. start in Tudor Fieldhouse.
Owls Hold Off South Alabama, 71-69
The Owls starting backcourt of Cliff Ghoram, Connor Frizzelle and Tamir Jackson combine for 49 points as Owls win second game of Rice Basketball Challenge
Joe Karlgaard Statement on Men's Basketball...
03/21/2017 - Statement from Athletic Director Joe Karlgaard on the Men's Basketball Coaching position.
Rice Falls to Utah Valley, 85-79 in CBI...
03/20/2017 - Rice placed six players in double-figures, but it was not enough as the Owls fell, 85-79, to Utah Valley in the CBI Quarterfinals, Monday night at ...
Men’s Hoops Hosts Utah Valley in...
03/19/2017 - Rice will host Utah Valley in the quarterfinals of the College Basketball Invitational presented by Five Four, this Monday, Mar. 20. Tip-off is...
Evans' Late Push Gives Rice 85-76 Victory over ...
03/15/2017 - Marcus Evans scored 12 of Rice’s final 15 points as the Owls closed the game on a 15-4 run to defeat San Francisco 85-76 and advance to the...
Men’s Hoops Opens CBI against San Francisco
03/14/2017 - Rice will host San Francisco in the first round of the College Basketball Invitational presented by Five Four, this Wednesday, Mar. 15. Tip-off is ...
Rice to Host San Francisco in First Round of CBI
03/12/2017 - Rice will host San Francisco in the first round of the College Basketball Invitational presented by FIVE FOUR this Wednesday, Mar. 15 at 7 p.m. CT,...
Rice Falls to UTEP, 86-76, in C-USA Quarterfinals
03/09/2017 - Dominic Artis scored 20 of his season-high 26 points, and UTEP scored 20 of the last 25, in the first half before holding off Rice for an 86-76 win...
Rice Defeats Southern Miss 86-75 in First Round...
03/08/2017 - Marcus Evans made five 3-pointers and scored 26 points, Marcus Jackson added 20 points, and No. 5 seed Rice beat 12th-seeded Southern Mississippi...
- Top Videos /
- Online Store