Dec. 3, 2013
HOUSTON, Texas - Rice University men's basketball closes out its three-game road trip with a cross-town battle against Houston Baptist. The Owls and Huskies tip off at 7:30 p.m. at Sharp Gym.
The Owls (3-4) bring a two-game road winning streak to the game after a last-second win at Santa Clara on Saturday in the Cable Car Classic. Rice is 2-1 on the road this year, including a win at Texas A&M-Corpus Christi in November.
Five of the Owls' seven games this season have been decided by four points or less, including an overtime setback to Rider last Friday.
Rice ranks second in Conference USA in assists (14.6) and three-pointers (8.4) per game.
• Rice has won all seven meetings between the cross-town foes.
• Wednesday's game marks just the second trip to Sharp Gym for the Owls, following a 78-66 win on Nov. 30, 2011. Rice added a 61-53 home victory last season
• Seth Gearhart has faced the Huskies twice, averaging 4.0 points and 2.0 rebounds in the games.
• Austin Ramljak scored 12 points in last season's win, while Max Guercy added 11 and Keith Washington chipped in eight.
Scouting the Huskies (2-5)
• Houston Baptist enters the game following a 74-72 overtime win at Army. Tyler Russell paced the Huskies with 21 points while Ricmonds Vilde added 10 points and 12 rebounds.
• Rob Lewis leads the Huskies on the season with 13.0 points and 1.7 assists per game.
• The team is 1-0 at home on the season with a win against Crowley's Ridge, 75-61, on Nov. 11. The Huskies shoot 41.4 percent from the field and 32.1 percent from downtown.
• At the recent Hall of Fame Classic in Mobile, Ala., HBU fell to Conference USA squad Southern Miss by a 67-62 margin and then faced host South Alabama in a 79-59 setback the following day. (Rice hosts South Alabama on Saturday at 5 p.m.)
Last Weekend: Cable Car Classic
• Rice continued its recent trend of tight games as it traveled west for the Cable Car Classic over Thanksgiving weekend in Santa Clara, Calif.
• The Owls set a program record with 18 three-pointers against Rider in the opening round, but fell, 97-93, in overtime to the Broncs.
• Ramljak knocked down seven three-pointers in the game for a career-high 25 points, while Gearhart was 6-of-10 from downtown for 20 points.
• The Owls' 25 assists in the game were the most since 2009, when the team matched that total against Southern Miss.
• Sean Obi then paced the team with a season-high 17 points on 8-of-9 shooting in the consolation game against host Santa Clara.
• The Owls maintained a lead throughout the game before the Broncos gained an advantage for the first time with 6.9 seconds to play.
• Keith Washington then took the ball the length of the court for the game-winning layup with 0.3 seconds remaining for the 67-66 win.
• Rice returns from the road to host South Alabama on Saturday at 5 p.m. (*note the new time*) at Tudor Fieldhouse.
• The Owls then take a break to focus on final exams before returning to action on Dec. 19 against Northwood in an 11:30 a.m. contest.
Men’s Hoops Begins Five-Game Homestand...
11/18/2015 - Rice begins a five-game homestand this Thursday, Nov. 19, when it hosts Oregon State. Tip-off is scheduled for 8 p.m. CT and will televised by ASN.
San Francisco Controls Owls
11/17/2015 - Rice got down early and could not catch up, falling 80-54, to San Francisco Monday night at War Memorial Gymnasium.
Men’s Basketball Closes Opening Road Trip...
11/15/2015 - Rice closes its opening road trip this Monday, Nov. 16, when it faces San Francisco. Tip-off is scheduled for 9 p.m. CT and will be live streamed...
Rice Falls at No. 14 Cal in Season Opener
11/14/2015 - Rice dropped its second straight season opener, 97-65, at 14th-ranked California, Friday night in front of 10,530 at Haas Pavilion.
Men’s Basketball Opens 2015-16 Season at ...
11/12/2015 - Rice opens the 2015-16 campaign when it travels to Berkeley, Calif., to face 14th-ranked Cal on Friday, Nov. 13, at 10:30 p.m. CT. The game will be...
Men’s Basketball Signs High School Duo
11/11/2015 - Rice men’s basketball coach Mike Rhoades has announced the signing of Tim Harrison (San Diego, Calif.) and Ako Adams (Arlington, Va.) to...
Men's Basketball Rolls LeTourneau, 102-78
11/07/2015 - Rice came out shooting and never looked back, rolling in its only exhibition action, 102-78, over LeTourneau, Friday night at Tudor Fieldhouse.
Men’s Basketball Hosts LeTourneau in...
11/06/2015 - Rice will play its first game of the 2015-16 campaign when it welcomes the LeTourneau Yellow Jackets to Tudor Fieldhouse on Saturday, Nov. 7, at 7 ...
- Top Videos /
- Online Store