Dec. 3, 2013
HOUSTON, Texas - Rice University men's basketball closes out its three-game road trip with a cross-town battle against Houston Baptist. The Owls and Huskies tip off at 7:30 p.m. at Sharp Gym.
The Owls (3-4) bring a two-game road winning streak to the game after a last-second win at Santa Clara on Saturday in the Cable Car Classic. Rice is 2-1 on the road this year, including a win at Texas A&M-Corpus Christi in November.
Five of the Owls' seven games this season have been decided by four points or less, including an overtime setback to Rider last Friday.
Rice ranks second in Conference USA in assists (14.6) and three-pointers (8.4) per game.
• Rice has won all seven meetings between the cross-town foes.
• Wednesday's game marks just the second trip to Sharp Gym for the Owls, following a 78-66 win on Nov. 30, 2011. Rice added a 61-53 home victory last season
• Seth Gearhart has faced the Huskies twice, averaging 4.0 points and 2.0 rebounds in the games.
• Austin Ramljak scored 12 points in last season's win, while Max Guercy added 11 and Keith Washington chipped in eight.
Scouting the Huskies (2-5)
• Houston Baptist enters the game following a 74-72 overtime win at Army. Tyler Russell paced the Huskies with 21 points while Ricmonds Vilde added 10 points and 12 rebounds.
• Rob Lewis leads the Huskies on the season with 13.0 points and 1.7 assists per game.
• The team is 1-0 at home on the season with a win against Crowley's Ridge, 75-61, on Nov. 11. The Huskies shoot 41.4 percent from the field and 32.1 percent from downtown.
• At the recent Hall of Fame Classic in Mobile, Ala., HBU fell to Conference USA squad Southern Miss by a 67-62 margin and then faced host South Alabama in a 79-59 setback the following day. (Rice hosts South Alabama on Saturday at 5 p.m.)
Last Weekend: Cable Car Classic
• Rice continued its recent trend of tight games as it traveled west for the Cable Car Classic over Thanksgiving weekend in Santa Clara, Calif.
• The Owls set a program record with 18 three-pointers against Rider in the opening round, but fell, 97-93, in overtime to the Broncs.
• Ramljak knocked down seven three-pointers in the game for a career-high 25 points, while Gearhart was 6-of-10 from downtown for 20 points.
• The Owls' 25 assists in the game were the most since 2009, when the team matched that total against Southern Miss.
• Sean Obi then paced the team with a season-high 17 points on 8-of-9 shooting in the consolation game against host Santa Clara.
• The Owls maintained a lead throughout the game before the Broncos gained an advantage for the first time with 6.9 seconds to play.
• Keith Washington then took the ball the length of the court for the game-winning layup with 0.3 seconds remaining for the 67-66 win.
• Rice returns from the road to host South Alabama on Saturday at 5 p.m. (*note the new time*) at Tudor Fieldhouse.
• The Owls then take a break to focus on final exams before returning to action on Dec. 19 against Northwood in an 11:30 a.m. contest.
Brown Named Men's Basketball Strength Coach
06/30/2016 - Rice head coach Mike Rhoades has announced the addition of Donald Brown as the Men's Basketball Strength and Conditioning Coach.
Rodriguez Added to Men’s Basketball Staff
06/29/2016 - Rice head coach Mike Rhoades has announced the addition of Joey Rodriguez to the coaching staff as video coordinator. Rodriguez joins the Owls...
Max Guercy's Chinese Expedition
06/13/2016 - Max Guercy is spending a month in China playing in exhibition games against the CBA and Chinese National Team.
Max Guercy's Chinese Expedition - Week 1
05/24/2016 - Max Guercy is spending a month in China playing in exhibition games against the CBA and Chinese National Team.
Scott Added to Men's Basketball Coaching Staff
05/16/2016 - Rice head coach Mike Rhoades has announced the addition of former Owl standout Brent Scott to the coaching staff as assistant coach. Scott joins...
2016 Coaches' Caravan Dates Announced
04/15/2016 - Rice fans in Texas will once again have a chance to get the latest updates on Rice Athletics in general and football and basketball in particular...
Men's Basketball Signs High School Trio
04/13/2016 - Rice men’s basketball coach Mike Rhoades has announced the signing of Robert Martin (Pittsburgh, Pa.), Corey Douglas (Louisville, Ky.) and...
Season Ends as Rice Falls 79-69 to Charlotte in...
03/09/2016 - Charlotte closed the game on an 18-8 as Rice fell, 79-69, in the second round of the Conference USA Tournament.
- Top Videos /
- Online Store