Dec. 3, 2013
HOUSTON, Texas - Rice University men's basketball closes out its three-game road trip with a cross-town battle against Houston Baptist. The Owls and Huskies tip off at 7:30 p.m. at Sharp Gym.
The Owls (3-4) bring a two-game road winning streak to the game after a last-second win at Santa Clara on Saturday in the Cable Car Classic. Rice is 2-1 on the road this year, including a win at Texas A&M-Corpus Christi in November.
Five of the Owls' seven games this season have been decided by four points or less, including an overtime setback to Rider last Friday.
Rice ranks second in Conference USA in assists (14.6) and three-pointers (8.4) per game.
• Rice has won all seven meetings between the cross-town foes.
• Wednesday's game marks just the second trip to Sharp Gym for the Owls, following a 78-66 win on Nov. 30, 2011. Rice added a 61-53 home victory last season
• Seth Gearhart has faced the Huskies twice, averaging 4.0 points and 2.0 rebounds in the games.
• Austin Ramljak scored 12 points in last season's win, while Max Guercy added 11 and Keith Washington chipped in eight.
Scouting the Huskies (2-5)
• Houston Baptist enters the game following a 74-72 overtime win at Army. Tyler Russell paced the Huskies with 21 points while Ricmonds Vilde added 10 points and 12 rebounds.
• Rob Lewis leads the Huskies on the season with 13.0 points and 1.7 assists per game.
• The team is 1-0 at home on the season with a win against Crowley's Ridge, 75-61, on Nov. 11. The Huskies shoot 41.4 percent from the field and 32.1 percent from downtown.
• At the recent Hall of Fame Classic in Mobile, Ala., HBU fell to Conference USA squad Southern Miss by a 67-62 margin and then faced host South Alabama in a 79-59 setback the following day. (Rice hosts South Alabama on Saturday at 5 p.m.)
Last Weekend: Cable Car Classic
• Rice continued its recent trend of tight games as it traveled west for the Cable Car Classic over Thanksgiving weekend in Santa Clara, Calif.
• The Owls set a program record with 18 three-pointers against Rider in the opening round, but fell, 97-93, in overtime to the Broncs.
• Ramljak knocked down seven three-pointers in the game for a career-high 25 points, while Gearhart was 6-of-10 from downtown for 20 points.
• The Owls' 25 assists in the game were the most since 2009, when the team matched that total against Southern Miss.
• Sean Obi then paced the team with a season-high 17 points on 8-of-9 shooting in the consolation game against host Santa Clara.
• The Owls maintained a lead throughout the game before the Broncos gained an advantage for the first time with 6.9 seconds to play.
• Keith Washington then took the ball the length of the court for the game-winning layup with 0.3 seconds remaining for the 67-66 win.
• Rice returns from the road to host South Alabama on Saturday at 5 p.m. (*note the new time*) at Tudor Fieldhouse.
• The Owls then take a break to focus on final exams before returning to action on Dec. 19 against Northwood in an 11:30 a.m. contest.
Rice Earns C-USA Institutional Excellence Award
07/10/2015 - For the eighth time in the past 10 years, Rice University student-athletes earned the Conference USA Institutional Excellence Award in 2014-15 by...
Four Owls Earn C-USA Scholar-Athlete Award
07/09/2015 - Seth Gearhart, Evan Karakolis, Belle MacFarlane and Brian Nordstrom have all been named recipients of the 2014-15 Conference USA Scholar Athlete of...
Rice Announces 2015 Hall of Fame Class
06/30/2015 - Richard and William Barker, Bubba Crosby, Jarett Dillard, Funmilayo Jimoh, Holly Jones-Wright, Lauren Shockley and Brent Scott will be inducted as ...
Men's Basketball Adds Lott for Fall 2015
05/19/2015 - Rice University head men's basketball coach Mike Rhoades announced the signing of a fifth freshman for the incoming class in Chad Lott (Shreveport,...
Men's Basketball Signs Smith for 2015
04/30/2015 - Rice University head men's basketball coach Mike Rhoades announced the signing of Amir Smith (Missouri City, Texas/Ridge Point HS) to a National...
Gearhart Named a C-USA Spirit of Service Award ...
04/08/2015 - Men's basketball senior Seth Gearhart has been named Rice's Conference USA Spirit of Service Award winner for winter sports, the league office...
Comeback Falls Just Short to Top Seed LA Tech...
03/13/2015 - One night after putting together a complete game in the Conference USA Championship opener, Rice University men's basketball gave top seed...
Men's Basketball Dominates North Texas in C-USA...
03/11/2015 - Marcus Jackson scored 28 points to lead No. 9 Rice University men's basketball past eight-seed North Texas, 82-54, in the opening round of the...
- Top Videos /
- Online Store