Dec. 3, 2013
HOUSTON, Texas - Rice University men's basketball closes out its three-game road trip with a cross-town battle against Houston Baptist. The Owls and Huskies tip off at 7:30 p.m. at Sharp Gym.
The Owls (3-4) bring a two-game road winning streak to the game after a last-second win at Santa Clara on Saturday in the Cable Car Classic. Rice is 2-1 on the road this year, including a win at Texas A&M-Corpus Christi in November.
Five of the Owls' seven games this season have been decided by four points or less, including an overtime setback to Rider last Friday.
Rice ranks second in Conference USA in assists (14.6) and three-pointers (8.4) per game.
• Rice has won all seven meetings between the cross-town foes.
• Wednesday's game marks just the second trip to Sharp Gym for the Owls, following a 78-66 win on Nov. 30, 2011. Rice added a 61-53 home victory last season
• Seth Gearhart has faced the Huskies twice, averaging 4.0 points and 2.0 rebounds in the games.
• Austin Ramljak scored 12 points in last season's win, while Max Guercy added 11 and Keith Washington chipped in eight.
Scouting the Huskies (2-5)
• Houston Baptist enters the game following a 74-72 overtime win at Army. Tyler Russell paced the Huskies with 21 points while Ricmonds Vilde added 10 points and 12 rebounds.
• Rob Lewis leads the Huskies on the season with 13.0 points and 1.7 assists per game.
• The team is 1-0 at home on the season with a win against Crowley's Ridge, 75-61, on Nov. 11. The Huskies shoot 41.4 percent from the field and 32.1 percent from downtown.
• At the recent Hall of Fame Classic in Mobile, Ala., HBU fell to Conference USA squad Southern Miss by a 67-62 margin and then faced host South Alabama in a 79-59 setback the following day. (Rice hosts South Alabama on Saturday at 5 p.m.)
Last Weekend: Cable Car Classic
• Rice continued its recent trend of tight games as it traveled west for the Cable Car Classic over Thanksgiving weekend in Santa Clara, Calif.
• The Owls set a program record with 18 three-pointers against Rider in the opening round, but fell, 97-93, in overtime to the Broncs.
• Ramljak knocked down seven three-pointers in the game for a career-high 25 points, while Gearhart was 6-of-10 from downtown for 20 points.
• The Owls' 25 assists in the game were the most since 2009, when the team matched that total against Southern Miss.
• Sean Obi then paced the team with a season-high 17 points on 8-of-9 shooting in the consolation game against host Santa Clara.
• The Owls maintained a lead throughout the game before the Broncos gained an advantage for the first time with 6.9 seconds to play.
• Keith Washington then took the ball the length of the court for the game-winning layup with 0.3 seconds remaining for the 67-66 win.
• Rice returns from the road to host South Alabama on Saturday at 5 p.m. (*note the new time*) at Tudor Fieldhouse.
• The Owls then take a break to focus on final exams before returning to action on Dec. 19 against Northwood in an 11:30 a.m. contest.
Marcus Evans Named to Preseason All-Conference ...
10/06/2016 - Sophomore Marcus Evans picked up his third preseason honor, as he was named to the Preseason All-Conference Team, the conference office announced...
Men’s Basketball Begins Practice for 2016...
10/03/2016 - The Rice men’s basketball team held its first practice in Fox Gym this afternoon in preparation for the 2016-17 season
Marcus Evans Named College Sports Madness...
09/29/2016 - Sophomore Marcus Evans was named to the Preseason All-High Major Second Team by College Sports Madness, its staff announced Thursday morning.
Marcus Evans Named College Sports Madness...
09/28/2016 - Sophomore Marcus Evans was named the Preseason Player of the Year, as well as First Team All-Conference USA, by College Sports Madness, its staff...
Koulechov to Play in FIBA Qualifier
08/22/2016 - Rice junior basketball player Egor Koulechov will participate in a FIBA Qualifier for Israel.
Andrew Drone to Play with Global Sports Academy
08/08/2016 - Rice senior forward Andrew Drone will be a part of the Global Sports Academy Select Team that will tour the Netherlands and Germany.
Guercy Signs Professional Contract
08/03/2016 - Former Owl Max Guercy, owner of a host of school records, has signed to play professionally overseas, the program announced Wednesday morning.
Men’s Basketball Earns NABC Team Academic...
07/29/2016 - For the fourth consecutive year, the Rice men’s basketball team earned the National Association of Basketball Coaches Team Academic Award,...
- Top Videos /
- Online Store