Dec. 3, 2013
HOUSTON, Texas - Rice University men's basketball closes out its three-game road trip with a cross-town battle against Houston Baptist. The Owls and Huskies tip off at 7:30 p.m. at Sharp Gym.
The Owls (3-4) bring a two-game road winning streak to the game after a last-second win at Santa Clara on Saturday in the Cable Car Classic. Rice is 2-1 on the road this year, including a win at Texas A&M-Corpus Christi in November.
Five of the Owls' seven games this season have been decided by four points or less, including an overtime setback to Rider last Friday.
Rice ranks second in Conference USA in assists (14.6) and three-pointers (8.4) per game.
• Rice has won all seven meetings between the cross-town foes.
• Wednesday's game marks just the second trip to Sharp Gym for the Owls, following a 78-66 win on Nov. 30, 2011. Rice added a 61-53 home victory last season
• Seth Gearhart has faced the Huskies twice, averaging 4.0 points and 2.0 rebounds in the games.
• Austin Ramljak scored 12 points in last season's win, while Max Guercy added 11 and Keith Washington chipped in eight.
Scouting the Huskies (2-5)
• Houston Baptist enters the game following a 74-72 overtime win at Army. Tyler Russell paced the Huskies with 21 points while Ricmonds Vilde added 10 points and 12 rebounds.
• Rob Lewis leads the Huskies on the season with 13.0 points and 1.7 assists per game.
• The team is 1-0 at home on the season with a win against Crowley's Ridge, 75-61, on Nov. 11. The Huskies shoot 41.4 percent from the field and 32.1 percent from downtown.
• At the recent Hall of Fame Classic in Mobile, Ala., HBU fell to Conference USA squad Southern Miss by a 67-62 margin and then faced host South Alabama in a 79-59 setback the following day. (Rice hosts South Alabama on Saturday at 5 p.m.)
Last Weekend: Cable Car Classic
• Rice continued its recent trend of tight games as it traveled west for the Cable Car Classic over Thanksgiving weekend in Santa Clara, Calif.
• The Owls set a program record with 18 three-pointers against Rider in the opening round, but fell, 97-93, in overtime to the Broncs.
• Ramljak knocked down seven three-pointers in the game for a career-high 25 points, while Gearhart was 6-of-10 from downtown for 20 points.
• The Owls' 25 assists in the game were the most since 2009, when the team matched that total against Southern Miss.
• Sean Obi then paced the team with a season-high 17 points on 8-of-9 shooting in the consolation game against host Santa Clara.
• The Owls maintained a lead throughout the game before the Broncos gained an advantage for the first time with 6.9 seconds to play.
• Keith Washington then took the ball the length of the court for the game-winning layup with 0.3 seconds remaining for the 67-66 win.
• Rice returns from the road to host South Alabama on Saturday at 5 p.m. (*note the new time*) at Tudor Fieldhouse.
• The Owls then take a break to focus on final exams before returning to action on Dec. 19 against Northwood in an 11:30 a.m. contest.
Men’s Hoops Hosts Louisiana Tech
02/03/2016 - Rice continues its three-game homestand this Thursday, February 4, when it hosts Louisiana Tech. Tip-off is scheduled for 7 p.m. CT.
Marcus Evans Earns Fifth C-USA Freshman of the ...
02/01/2016 - Marcus Evans was named Conference USA Freshman of the Week in a vote by the media, the conference office announced Monday afternoon.
Second Half Play Propels Men's Basketball over ...
01/30/2016 - Rice shot 64.0% from the field in the second half on its way to a 95-87 victory, Saturday night at Tudor Fieldhouse. The 95 points were a season-high.
Men's Hoops Begins Homestand against North Texas
01/29/2016 - Rice begins a three-game homestand this Saturday, January 30, when it hosts in-state rival North Texas. Tip-off is scheduled for 7 p.m. CT.
Guercy's 20 Points Not Enough as Rice Falls at ...
01/23/2016 - A four-minute, 17-0 Middle Tennessee run turned a two-point lead into a 15-point deficit that Rice could not get itself out of as the Owls fell, 87...
Men’s Hoops Closes Trip at Middle Tennessee
01/22/2016 - Rice closes its two-game road trip this Saturday, January 23, when it travels to Murfreesboro, Tenn., to face Middle Tennessee. Tip-off is...
Owls Drop 82-70 Decision at UAB
01/22/2016 - Rice once again made a second half rally, but in the end, it wasn’t enough as the Owls fell, 82-70, Thursday night at league-leader UAB.
Men’s Hoops Begins Road Trip at League...
01/20/2016 - Rice begins it’s a two-game road trip this Thursday, January 21, when it travels to Birmingham, Ala., to face league leader UAB. Tip-off is...
- Top Videos /
- Online Store