Dec. 3, 2013
HOUSTON, Texas - Rice University men's basketball closes out its three-game road trip with a cross-town battle against Houston Baptist. The Owls and Huskies tip off at 7:30 p.m. at Sharp Gym.
The Owls (3-4) bring a two-game road winning streak to the game after a last-second win at Santa Clara on Saturday in the Cable Car Classic. Rice is 2-1 on the road this year, including a win at Texas A&M-Corpus Christi in November.
Five of the Owls' seven games this season have been decided by four points or less, including an overtime setback to Rider last Friday.
Rice ranks second in Conference USA in assists (14.6) and three-pointers (8.4) per game.
• Rice has won all seven meetings between the cross-town foes.
• Wednesday's game marks just the second trip to Sharp Gym for the Owls, following a 78-66 win on Nov. 30, 2011. Rice added a 61-53 home victory last season
• Seth Gearhart has faced the Huskies twice, averaging 4.0 points and 2.0 rebounds in the games.
• Austin Ramljak scored 12 points in last season's win, while Max Guercy added 11 and Keith Washington chipped in eight.
Scouting the Huskies (2-5)
• Houston Baptist enters the game following a 74-72 overtime win at Army. Tyler Russell paced the Huskies with 21 points while Ricmonds Vilde added 10 points and 12 rebounds.
• Rob Lewis leads the Huskies on the season with 13.0 points and 1.7 assists per game.
• The team is 1-0 at home on the season with a win against Crowley's Ridge, 75-61, on Nov. 11. The Huskies shoot 41.4 percent from the field and 32.1 percent from downtown.
• At the recent Hall of Fame Classic in Mobile, Ala., HBU fell to Conference USA squad Southern Miss by a 67-62 margin and then faced host South Alabama in a 79-59 setback the following day. (Rice hosts South Alabama on Saturday at 5 p.m.)
Last Weekend: Cable Car Classic
• Rice continued its recent trend of tight games as it traveled west for the Cable Car Classic over Thanksgiving weekend in Santa Clara, Calif.
• The Owls set a program record with 18 three-pointers against Rider in the opening round, but fell, 97-93, in overtime to the Broncs.
• Ramljak knocked down seven three-pointers in the game for a career-high 25 points, while Gearhart was 6-of-10 from downtown for 20 points.
• The Owls' 25 assists in the game were the most since 2009, when the team matched that total against Southern Miss.
• Sean Obi then paced the team with a season-high 17 points on 8-of-9 shooting in the consolation game against host Santa Clara.
• The Owls maintained a lead throughout the game before the Broncos gained an advantage for the first time with 6.9 seconds to play.
• Keith Washington then took the ball the length of the court for the game-winning layup with 0.3 seconds remaining for the 67-66 win.
• Rice returns from the road to host South Alabama on Saturday at 5 p.m. (*note the new time*) at Tudor Fieldhouse.
• The Owls then take a break to focus on final exams before returning to action on Dec. 19 against Northwood in an 11:30 a.m. contest.
Men’s Hoops Hosts Crosstown Foe Houston...
11/29/2016 - Rice returns home this Wednesday, Nov. 30, when it hosts crosstown foe Houston Baptist. Tip-off is set for 7 p.m. CT and will be live-streamed by...
Koulechov's Career Day Leads Rice to 87-79 Win ...
11/26/2016 - Egor Koulechov made all six of his 3-point attempts for a career-high 35 points as Rice pulled away late to beat Incarnate Word 87-79 on Saturday.
Men’s Basketball Heads to San Antonio to ...
11/25/2016 - Rice stays in the state of Texas this Saturday, Nov. 26, when it travels to San Antonio to face Incarnate Word. Tip-off is set for 3 p.m. CT.
Rice Uses Late Spurt to Down Delaware State, 80-58
11/23/2016 - Rice outscored Delaware State, 35-12, in the final 10 minutes to earn an 80-58 victory Wednesday night at Tudor Fieldhouse.
Men’s Basketball Closes Homestand against...
11/22/2016 - Rice closes its homestand this Wednesday, Nov. 23, when it hosts Delaware State. TIp-off is set for 7 p.m. CT and will be live-streamed on CUSA.tv.
Second Half Comeback Propels Rice to 83-78...
11/21/2016 - Marcus Evans scored on a layup and knocked down 3 of 4 from the free throw line, all in the final minute, as Rice held off Montana State 83-78 on...
Men’s Hoops Opens Homestand Against...
11/20/2016 - Rice begins a two-game homestand this Monday, Nov. 21, when it hosts Montana State. TIp-off is set for 7 p.m. CT and will be live-streamed on CUSA.tv.
Red Hot Shooting Leads Rice to 100-87 Victory...
11/19/2016 - Rice shot 63.3% from the floor on its way to a 100-87 win at Nebraska-Omaha, Saturday afternoon.
- Top Videos /
- Online Store