Dec. 3, 2013
HOUSTON, Texas - Rice University men's basketball closes out its three-game road trip with a cross-town battle against Houston Baptist. The Owls and Huskies tip off at 7:30 p.m. at Sharp Gym.
The Owls (3-4) bring a two-game road winning streak to the game after a last-second win at Santa Clara on Saturday in the Cable Car Classic. Rice is 2-1 on the road this year, including a win at Texas A&M-Corpus Christi in November.
Five of the Owls' seven games this season have been decided by four points or less, including an overtime setback to Rider last Friday.
Rice ranks second in Conference USA in assists (14.6) and three-pointers (8.4) per game.
• Rice has won all seven meetings between the cross-town foes.
• Wednesday's game marks just the second trip to Sharp Gym for the Owls, following a 78-66 win on Nov. 30, 2011. Rice added a 61-53 home victory last season
• Seth Gearhart has faced the Huskies twice, averaging 4.0 points and 2.0 rebounds in the games.
• Austin Ramljak scored 12 points in last season's win, while Max Guercy added 11 and Keith Washington chipped in eight.
Scouting the Huskies (2-5)
• Houston Baptist enters the game following a 74-72 overtime win at Army. Tyler Russell paced the Huskies with 21 points while Ricmonds Vilde added 10 points and 12 rebounds.
• Rob Lewis leads the Huskies on the season with 13.0 points and 1.7 assists per game.
• The team is 1-0 at home on the season with a win against Crowley's Ridge, 75-61, on Nov. 11. The Huskies shoot 41.4 percent from the field and 32.1 percent from downtown.
• At the recent Hall of Fame Classic in Mobile, Ala., HBU fell to Conference USA squad Southern Miss by a 67-62 margin and then faced host South Alabama in a 79-59 setback the following day. (Rice hosts South Alabama on Saturday at 5 p.m.)
Last Weekend: Cable Car Classic
• Rice continued its recent trend of tight games as it traveled west for the Cable Car Classic over Thanksgiving weekend in Santa Clara, Calif.
• The Owls set a program record with 18 three-pointers against Rider in the opening round, but fell, 97-93, in overtime to the Broncs.
• Ramljak knocked down seven three-pointers in the game for a career-high 25 points, while Gearhart was 6-of-10 from downtown for 20 points.
• The Owls' 25 assists in the game were the most since 2009, when the team matched that total against Southern Miss.
• Sean Obi then paced the team with a season-high 17 points on 8-of-9 shooting in the consolation game against host Santa Clara.
• The Owls maintained a lead throughout the game before the Broncos gained an advantage for the first time with 6.9 seconds to play.
• Keith Washington then took the ball the length of the court for the game-winning layup with 0.3 seconds remaining for the 67-66 win.
• Rice returns from the road to host South Alabama on Saturday at 5 p.m. (*note the new time*) at Tudor Fieldhouse.
• The Owls then take a break to focus on final exams before returning to action on Dec. 19 against Northwood in an 11:30 a.m. contest.
Evans’ Layup Gives Rice 72-71 Overtime...
02/23/2017 - Marcus Evans’ layup with 1.9 seconds left gave Rice its first lead of overtime and the 72-71 victory over Southern Miss, Thursday night at...
Men’s Hoops Looks to Get Back to Its...
02/22/2017 - Rice looks to get back on track this Thursday, Feb. 23, when it hosts Southern Miss. Tip-off is set for 7 p.m. CT and will be live-streamed at CUSA...
Rice Scholar Athletes Honored
02/26/2017 - Rice Athletics and the R Association honored some of its best and brightest on Sunday evening as the 2017 Rice Scholar Athletes and Honor Athletes ...
Mike Rhoades Radio Show Continues Tonight from ...
02/20/2017 - The Mike Rhoades Radio Show continues tonight at 7 p.m. from the Gorgeous Gael Irish Bar (5555 Morningside Drive).
Shooting Woes Doom Rice in 79-71 Loss to UTEP
02/18/2017 - Egor Koulechov had 13 points and 11 rebounds for the Owls, but it would not be enough as Rice fell to UTEP by a score of 79-71 on Saturday night.
Men’s Hoops Looks to Keep Streak Going...
02/17/2017 - Rice looks to keep its winning streak alive this Saturday, Feb. 18, when it hosts UTEP. Tip-off is set for 7 p.m. CT and will be live-streamed at...
Late Spurt Gives Men's Basketball 80-68 Victory...
02/16/2017 - Rice closed the game on a 15-3 run over the final 4:24 to defeat UTSA, 80-68 and earn its fifth straight victory, Thursday night at Tudor Fieldhouse.
Men's Hoops Begins Final Homestand against UTSA
02/15/2017 - Rice begins its final homestand of the year this Thursday, Feb. 16, when it hosts UTSA. Tip-off is set for 6 p.m. CT and will be live-streamed at...
- Top Videos /
- Online Store