By: Tim Andrzejewski (email@example.com)
Game Notes | Listen Live
HOUSTON — Rice goes back on the road this Saturday, Dec. 3, when it travels to Lubbock to face former Southwest Conference foe Texas Tech. Tip-off is set for 1 p.m. CT and will be televised by Fox Sports Southwest.
• Rice enters Saturday afternoon’s game with a 6-1 record. The Owls have won five straight games after defeating Houston Baptist, 90-77, Wednesday night.
• Sophomore guard and Preseason All-Conference USA member Marcus Evans leads the conference in scoring, averaging 22.6 points per game. He is also tied for fourth in the league in assists (5.0), is sixth in steals (1.6) and is tied for ninth in three-pointers made per game (2.3).
• Redshirt junior guard/forward Egor Koulechov is averaging 18.3 points, good for sixth-place in C-USA. He is also second in three-point field goal percentage (.529), fourth in three-pointers made per game (2.6), sixth in rebounding (8.4) and ninth in free throw percentage (.857).
• Redshirt junior guard Marcus Jackson is averaging 14.0 points, 3.7 rebounds and 3.7 assists. He is sixth in the league in free throw percentage (.889) and seventh in assist/turnover ratio (2.4).
• Sophomore guard Connor Cashaw is averaging 8.7 points and 4.1 rebounds.
• The Owls lead Conference USA in scoring with 86.0 points per game while allowing 74.3.
• Rice is second in the league in both field goal percentage (48.6%) and three-point field goal percentage (.387) while allowing 41.1% from the floor and 35.3% from three.
• The Owls are also tied for the league lead with 9.0 three-pointers made per game.
• Head coach Mike Rhoades is in his third season at the helm of the Rice basketball program. He owns a 30-41 (.423) record on South Main and a 227-117 (.660) record in 12 years as a head coach.
Scouting Texas Tech
• Texas Tech enters Saturday afternoon’s contest with a 6-1 record. The Red Raiders have won three straight after defeating Incarnate Word, 69-48, Wednesday night.
• Redshirt senior forward Aaron Ross is averaging a team-high 14.8 points and 4.8 rebounds.
• Junior guard Keenan Evans is averaging 12.6 points, 3.7 assists and 3.1 rebounds.
• Junior forward Zach Smith is scoring 11.7 points. He leads the Big 12 Conference in field goal percentage (.669), is fifth in blocks (2.0) and is seventh in rebounding (7.4).
• Senior forward Anthony Livingston is averaging 11.4 points and 4.9 rebounds while placing third in the league in three-point field goal percentage (.448).
• TTU is scoring 79.0 points per game while allowing a league-low 57.9.
•The Red Raiders are connecting on a conference-best 52.2% from the field and 40.2-percent from three while allowing 37.9% from the floor and 33.3% from beyond the arc.
• Texas Tech is pulling down 36.3 rebounds per game while allowing a league-best 26.3.
• Head coach Chris Beard is in his first season at the head of the Texas Tech men’s basketball program where he owns a 6-1 (.857) record. In seven years as a head coach, Beard is 177-51 (.776).
• Rice and Texas Tech will meet for the 92nd time, but the first since 1996.
• Texas Tech leads the series, holding a 63-28 record, including a 35-8 record at Tech.
• The Owls have lost the last seven meetings.
• This will be the first meeting between the two teams as non-conference foes.
• The previous 91 meetings came as members of the Southwest Conference.
• This is head coach Mike Rhoades’ first-ever meeting against Texas Tech.
• Rice will take a week off for exams before returning to the hardwood next Saturday, Dec. 10, when it hosts Stephen F. Austin. Tip-off is scheduled for 7 p.m. CT and will be live-streamed on CUSA.tv.