By: Tim Andrzejewski (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Game Notes | CUSA.tv | Listen | Gametracker | Buy Tickets
HOUSTON — Rice returns home this Saturday, Dec. 2, when it welcomes UTRGV to Tudor Fieldhouse. Tip-off is scheduled for 2 p.m. CT and the game will be livestreamed by CUSAtv.
• Rice is 2-5 after falling at UT-Arlington on Wednesday night, 69-49.
• Junior guard Connor Cashaw leads the team with 15.5 points and is second on the team with 5.8 rebounds. He is also averaging 3.0 assists.
• Graduate guard A.J. Lapray is second on the team with 11.1 points. He is also third in C-USA in three-pointers per game (2.9) and is connecting on 44.4% from beyond the arc.
• Sophomore guard Ako Adams is averaging 10.7 points. He also is pulling down 3.7 boards and is tied for eighth in the league in assists (4.1) and is ninth in assist-to-turnover ratio (1.7).
• The Owls are averaging 66.0 points per game while allowing 73.6.
• Rice is connecting on just 36.7% from the floor and 30.2% from three. Its opponents are shooting just 42.6% from the field but are being held to a league-low 30.0% from beyond the arc.
• The Owls are grabbing 39.0 rebounds per game while allowing 38.4.
• Head coach Scott Pera is in his first season leading the Rice men’s basketball program after serving its last three years as its Associate Head Coach.
• UTRGV is 3-6 on the season and have lost four straight games after falling to ninth-ranked Texas A&M Thursday night, 78-60.
• Senior guard Nick Dixon leads the Western Athletic Conference with 21.4 points while pulling down 4.7 rebounds per game. He is fourth in the league in free throw percentage (.861) and leads the team in field goal percentage (.484) and three-point field goal percentage (.351).
• Sophomore guard Xavier McDaniel, Jr. is second on the squad with 11.3 points. He leads the team and is fourth in the WAC in rebounding (7.1) while placing fifth in blocks (1.3).
• The Vaqueros are scoring 75.7 points per game while allowing 81.2.
• UTRGV is connecting on just 40.4% from the field and 28.8% from three while allowing its opponents to hit 44.3% from the floor and 34.7% from beyond the arc.
• UTRGV is being outrebounded by its opponents, 40.3-to-37.4.
• The Vaqueros are also leading the conference in steals (8.3) while placing second in assists (15.0) and blocks (4.2).
• Head coach Lew Hill is in his second season at the helm of the UTRGV men’s basketball program where he owns a 13-28 (.317) record.
• Rice and UTRGV will meet for the 12th time.
• UTRGV holds a 6-5 record in the series but Rice has won the last two meetings.
• This is the first meeting between the schools since a 69-58 victory in 2003.
• All previous meetings were while UTRGV was known as UT-Pan American.
• Rice is 4-1 in games played in Houston.
• Rice will take a week off for exams before returning to the court next Saturday, Dec. 9, when it travels to Nacogdoches to face Stephen F. Austin. Tip-off is scheduled for 2 p.m. and the game will be livestreamed by ESPN3.