By: Tim Andrzejewski (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Game Notes | CUSA.tv | Listen Live | Gametracker | Buy Tickets
HOUSTON — Rice returns home this Wednesday, Nov. 30, when it hosts crosstown foe Houston Baptist. Tip-off is set for 7 p.m. CT and will be live-streamed by CUSA.tv.
• Rice enters Wednesday night’s game with a 5-1 record. The Owls have won four straight games after defeating Incarnate Word, 87-79, Saturday afternoon.
• Sophomore guard and Preseason All-Conference USA member Marcus Evans is second in the conference in scoring, averaging 21.2 points per game. He is tied for seventh in the league in three-pointers per game (2.3) and is eighth in assists (4.5).
• Redshirt junior guard/forward Egor Koulechov is averaging 19.5 points, good for fifth-place in C-USA. He is also fourth 9n three-pointers made per game (2.8), fifth in rebounding (8.5) and three-point field goal percentage (.567) and ninth in minutes played (33.2).
• Redshirt junior guard Marcus Jackson is averaging 14.5 points and 4.0 rebounds. He is fourth in the league in free throw percentage (.882) and assist/turnover ratio (2.6) and is 10th in assists (4.3).
• Sophomore guard Connor Cashaw is averaging 9.3 points and 4.3 rebounds.
• The Owls are scoring 85.3 points per game which is second in C-USA while allowing 73.8.
• Rice is connecting on 47.8% from the floor and is allowing teams to hit just 39.6%.
• Rice is second in the league in three-point field goal percentage, hitting 38.6% from three while allowing just 35.4%.
• The Owls lead the league in three-pointers made per game (9.3).
• Head coach Mike Rhoades is in his third season at the helm of the Rice basketball program. He owns a 29-41 (.414) record on South Main and a 226-117 (.659) record in 12 years as a head coach.
Scouting Houston Baptist
• Houston Baptist enters Wednesday night’s contest with a 2-3 record. The Huskies are coming off a 101-79 defeat at Marquette last Saturday.
• Senior forward Colter Lasher is averaging a team-high 14.0 points per game. He is also tied for eighth in the Southland Conference in assists (4.0) and tied for ninth in three-pointers made per game (2.2).
• Junior center Josh Ibarra is averaging 9.8 points and 5.4 rebounds while senior guard/forward Reveal Chukwujekwu is averaging 7.2 points and a team-high 5.8 boards.
• HBU is scoring 87.8 points per game, good for second in the Southland, while allowing 84.6.
• The Huskies are connecting on 45.1-percent from the field and 37.4-percent from three while allowing 48.3% from the floor and 36.4% from beyond the arc.
• Houston Baptist is pulling down 40.0 rebounds per game and allowing 36.6.
• Head coach Ron Cottrell is in his 26th season at the head of the Houston Baptist men’s basketball program where he owns a 454-352 (.563) record.
• This will be the sixth straight year and the 11th meeting overall between Rice and Houston Baptist.
• Rice holds a 7-3 lead against HBU. However, the Huskies have won the last three meetings.
• At Tudor Fieldhouse, the Owls hold a 6-1 advantage.
• Head Mike Rhoades is looking for his first win against HBU, having dropped the first two games.
• Rice stays in the state of Texas when it travels to Lubbock this Saturday, Dec. 3, to face former Southwest Conference rival Texas Tech. Tip-off is scheduled for 1 p.m. CT and will be broadcast on Fox Sports Southwest.