By: Tim Andrzejewski (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Game Notes | Live Video | Listen Live
HOUSTON — Rice stays in the state of Texas this Saturday, Nov. 26, when it travels to San Antonio to face Incarnate Word. Tip-off is set for 3 p.m. CT.
• Rice enters Saturday afternoon’s game with a 4-1 record. The Owls have won three straight games after defeating Delaware State, 80-58, Wednesday night.
• Sophomore guard and Preseason All-Conference USA member Marcus Evans is second in the conference in scoring, averaging 21.4 points per game. He is sixth in the league in three-pointers per game (2.6) and steals (1.6) and is seventh in assists (4.6).
• Redshirt junior guard/forward Egor Koulechov is averaging 16.4 points, good for eighth-place in C-USA. He is tied for ninth in three-pointers made per game (2.2) and minutes played (32.6) and is 10th in three-point field goal percentage (.458).
• Redshirt junior guard Marcus Jackson is averaging 14.6 points and 4.2 rebounds. He is sixth in assist/turnover ratio (2.8) and is eighth in assists (4.4) and free throw percentage (893).
• Sophomore guard Connor Cashaw is averaging 10.0 points and 4.0 rebounds.
• The Owls are scoring 85.0 points per game which is second in C-USA while allowing 72.8.
• Rice is second in the league in field goal percentage, connecting on 48.8% from the floor and is allowing teams to hit just 40.3%.
• Rice is also hitting 36.7% from three while allowing just 33.9%. The Owls are second in the league in three-pointers made per game (9.4).
• Head coach Mike Rhoades is in his third season at the helm of the Rice basketball program. He owns a 28-41 (.406) record on South Main and a 226-117 (.659) record in 12 years as a head coach.
Scouting Incarnate Word
• Incarnate Word enters Saturday afternoon’s contest with a 2-1 record. The Cardinals have won two straight games after defeating Howard Payne, 91-61, Monday night.
• Junior guard Shawn Johnson is second in the Southland Conference in scoring with 21.3 points and third in rebounds, grabbing 9.0 per game. He is also tied for third in steals (2.7) and tied for fifth in field goal percentage (.611).
• Junior guard Jalin Hart is seventh in the league in scoring (17.3) and leads the league in assists (6.7). He is also tied for third in steals (2.7).
• Sophomore guard Tyler Singleton is scoring 13.7 points per game.
• The Cardinals are scoring 85.7 points per game while allowing 76.3.
• UIW is connecting on 46.6-percent from the field and 38.8-percent from three while allowing 41.8% from the floor and 29.5% from beyond the arc.
• Incarnate Word is pulling down 37.3 rebounds per game and allowing 40.3.
• Head coach Ken Burmeister is in his 11th season at the head of the Incarnate Word men’s basketball program. He owns a 185-101 (.647) record at UIW and a 310-224 (.581) record in 20 years as a head coach.
• This will be just the second meeting between Rice and Incarnate Word.
• Last year, UIW defeated the Owls, 82-76, in Tudor Fieldhouse.
• This will be the first meeting in San Antonio.
• The Owls return home next Wednesday, Nov. 30, when it hosts crosstown foe Houston Baptist. Tip-off is scheduled for 7 p.m. CT and will be live-streamed at CUSA.tv.
Men's Basketball Drops Non-Conference Finale to Incarnate Word
After pulling to within three points, Rice went just 2-of-17 in the final ten minutes as the Owls fell to Incarnate Word, 82-76, Tuesday night at Tudor Fieldhouse.