Tickets | Parking | Watch | Listen Live
GameTracker | Rice Game Notes
HOUSTON, Texas – Rice University men’s basketball hosts its home opener on Wednesday, Nov. 19 against Prairie View A&M. Tipoff is set for 7 p.m. at Tudor Fieldhouse.
The Owls (0-1) opened the regular season last Friday at Oregon State. Despite 14 points from senior Seth Gearhart, Rice’s second-half rally fell short in a 67-54 setback to the Pac-12’s Beavers.
Four Owls made their Blue and Gray debuts in the game as grad student Van Green started and freshman Bishop Mency tallied 11 points and four rebounds off the bench. Rice also got contributions from newcomers Nate Pollard and Maurice Rivers on the night. Senior Dan Peera added a career-high tying six points as well.
Rice will honor its 2014 Conference USA champion women's soccer team at the game. Wednesday’s game is the first of two home contests this week as the Owls host William & Mary on Saturday, Nov. 22. That game also tips off at 7 p.m.
Scouting the Panthers
• Prairie View A&M heads to Tudor Fieldhouse for a third-straight road game to open the 2014-15 season.
• The Panthers dropped a 71-54 decision at TCU in the opener on Friday and followed up against another Big 12 team on Sunday, falling 74-52 at Oklahoma State.
• Through two games, Montrael Scott leads three players in double-figure scoring with 13.5 points per game.
• Tre Hagood nearly averages a double-double with 12.5 points and 9.5 boards per game.
• PVAMU shoots 32.5 percent from the field and 26.5 percent from downtown. Opponents have averaged a +17.0 rebound margin.
• Rice has won all six contests with Prairie View A&M, including the most recent meeting in 2006.
• The teams played twice in the 1980s in Houston, then once in Prairie View in 1991 and Milwaukee in 1996 before returning to Houston for the last two meetings, in 2005 and ‘06.
• Only the Nov. 29, 2005 game was decided by single digits. Rice won the game, 67-58.
• Rice is 22-2 against the 10 current members of the SWAC. The most recent contest was an 80-65 win over Southern on Nov. 17, 2011.
Getting It Started
• Rice used the same starting lineup in both its preseason exhibition and the regular season opener at Oregon State.
• Junior Max Guercy made his 62nd start in as many games at point guard on Friday, and was joined in the backcourt for the 21st time by sophomore Marcus Jackson.
• Gearhart made his 49th start in his 77th overall game for the Owls, and sophomore Andrew Drone made his first career start in the post after coming off the bench in all 30 of the Owls’ games last season.
• Green was the only newcomer to start for Rice in the opener. It was the graduate transfer’s first collegiate start, as he came off the bench in all 37 appearances at Columbia.
• Rice looks for a second-straight home opener win on Wednesday, after the team claimed a 69-60 win over St. Thomas in the season opener last year.
• The Owls have won four of their last five season openers by an average margin of 21.3 points.