By: Tim Andrzejewski (email@example.com)
Game Notes | Gametracker | Live Stream | Buy Tickets
HOUSTON -- Rice opens its 2016-17 home slate when it hosts crosstown foe Texas Southern on Wednesday, Nov. 16, at 7 p.m. CT. The game will be live-streamed on CUSA.tv.
• Rice enters tonight's game with a 1-0 record after defeat James Madison, 94-70, in its season-opener on Sunday afternoon.
• Rice returns seven letterwinners from last year's squad that finished 12-20. However, of those seven, four are returning starters.
• Sophomore guard Marcus Evans leads the team after leading all freshmen in the country in scoring, averaging 21.4 points. He also averaged a league-best 2.2 steals.
• Redshirt junior guard/forward Egor Koulechov averaged 16.7 points, sixth-best in C-USA and a team-high 7.0 rebounds.
• Sophomore forward Marquez Letcher-Ellis averaged 10.2 points and 5.0 rebounds, which was second on the team. He also averaged 1.1 blocks and made 51.4% from the floor.
• Sophomore guard Connor Cashaw scored 8.5 points per and led the team in three-point field goal percentage, connecting on 38.8%.
• Forward Andrew Drone is the lone senior on the team. He averaged 7.4 points and 4.1 rebounds last year.
• Head coach Mike Rhoades is in his third season at the helm of the Rice basketball program. He owns a 25-40 (.385) record on South Main and a 222-116 (.657) record in 12 years as a head coach.
Scouting Texas Southern
• Texas Southern enters tonight's game with a 1-1 record after defeating Delaware State, 74-61, Sunday afternoon.
• Junior guard Zach Lofton leads the team with 22.0 points per game while averaging 3.0 rebounds and 3.0 steals.
• Preseason All-SWAC member Derrick Griffith is averaging 10.5 points and 4.5 rebounds while connecting on 81.8% from the floor.
• Graduate center Marvin Jones is leading the team in rebounding, averaging 11.5 boards a game while scoring 8.5 points.
• The Tigers are scoring 78.0 points per game while allowing 75.0.
• TSU is connecting on 41.7-percent from the field and just 27.9-percent from three while allowing 50.9% from the floor and just 28.9% from beyond the arc.
• Texas Southern is pulling down 40.0 rebounds per game and allowing 30.5.
• Head coach Mike Davis is in his fifth season at the head of the Texas Southern men's basketball program, where he owns a 77-58 (.570) record. In 17 years as a head coach, Davis owns a 314-209 (.600) record.
• This will be just the fourth meeting between Rice and Texas Southern.
• The Owls have won the previous three meetings, which were all held in Tudor Fieldhouse.
• Below is a history of the Rice-Texas Southern series.
• The Owls go back on the road this Saturday, Nov. 19, when it travels to Omaha, Neb., to face Nebraska-Omaha. Tip-off is scheduled for 1 p.m. CT.