By: Tim Andrzejewski (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Game Notes | FloSports | Listen | Gametracker | Buy Tickets
HOUSTON — Rice closes its season-opening homestand this Tuesday, Nov. 14, when it hosts Georgia State. Tip-off is scheduled for 7 p.m. CT. The game will be live-streamed at FloSports.com.
• Rice is 0-1 after dropping its season opener to Eastern Kentucky, 73-72, last Friday night.
• Rice returns eight letterwinners from last year’s squad that finished 23-12 and made it to the quarterfinals of the College Basketball Invitational. However, of those eight, only one is a returning starter.
• Guard Connor Cashaw, the team’s leading returning scorer and rebounder from last year, recorded his second career double-double with 18 points and 11 rebounds.
• Of the 15 Owls on the roster, 10 are freshmen or sophomores. Of the 10, sophomores Ako Adams, Tim Harrison, Robert Martin, Austin Meyer, Addison Owen and Grant Youngkin are the only players who have seen action at Rice.
• Sophomore Josh Parrish will sit out this year due to the NCAA Transfer rule.
• Head coach Scott Pera is in his first season leading the Rice men’s basketball program after serving its last three years as its Associate Head Coach.
Scouting Georgia State
• Georgia State is 1-0 after defeating Carver Bible College, 90-50, last Friday.
• The Panthers placed four players in double-figures.
• Sophomore guard and Second Team Preseason All-Sun Belt selection D’Marcus Simonds recorded the school’s first-ever triple-double, posting 20 points, 10 rebounds and 10 assists.
• GSU returns nine letterwinners and three starters from last year’s squad that finished the season 20-13 and advanced to the CollegeInsider.com Postseason Tournament.
• The Panthers were picked to finish second in the annual Sun Belt Conference preseason poll.
• Head coach Ron Hunter is in his seventh season leading the Georgia State men’s basketball program. He has compiled a 124-74 record and is 398-284 all-time in 24 years as a head coach.
• This is the first-ever meeting between Rice and Georgia State.
• Rice goes on the road for the first time this season when it travels to Natchitoches, La., to face Northwestern State on Thursday, Nov. 17. Tip-off is scheduled for 6:30 p.m.